The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oh it's an art work? Well they should have said that higher up in the article

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh it's an art work? Well they should have said that higher up in the article

Art & sarcasm, it's a beautiful blend!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Before you change your avatar, consider:

https://i.imgur.com/1MPG3Ug.mp4

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

When you're putting the finishing touches to your research paper and suddenly realise that for some stupid reason you captioned all your charts as tables instead of figures. Then hav to go back and change 80 odd charts to the correct caption....

I'm classifying that as weird because I've now been awake for the last 29 hours and juggling a few seperate things as I try to get this all wrapped up.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

dude.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

University of Texas is treating masculinity as a "mental illness" https://pjmedia.com/trending/university-of-texas-to-treat-masculinity-as-a-mental-health-issue/

Don't worry UT boys, we'll have you "fixed" up in no time!

dentist-surgical-mask-dental-loupes-hold

OK, they "clarified" it today. It's still worth poking fun at though: https://news.utexas.edu/2018/04/29/statement-on-masculinut

:lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

It actually threads the needle twice, once between Mozambique and Madagascar where it's going to have to navigate around the Comoros and Mayotte: https://www.google.com/maps/@-14.1972136,44.247984,5.72z?hl=en and then between the tip of South America and the Antartica penninsula. It also hugs the Mozambique-South Africa coast really closely there.

Russian police use an armed robot to during a battle with jihadists that left 11 of them dead: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5677705/Russia-uses-armed-ROBOT-gun-battle-left-11-jihadists-dead.html

I believe we have a picture of the robot:

200px-T-800_%28Model_101%29.png

On another note when I read this happened in Dagestan I completely understood. Having played Russia in ETW I know what a pain Dagestan is!

:lol:

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

"The First Meal Eaten on the Moon Was Bacon"

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-meal-eaten-moon-was-bacon-180950457/

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Aaaaaannnnndddd..... here we go again. A whole lot of people in a snit over the entirely made up sin of "cultural appropriation" attacking an 18 year old kid because of her prom dress. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/05/01/its-just-a-dress-teens-chinese-prom-attire-stirs-cultural-appropriation-debate/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b71b5a906ee1

It sucks that there are so many people who wake up every day and just look for something to be pissed off about. There are tons of things going on worth being pissed off about but none of them involve what a total stranger is doing, saying, thinking, eating, drinking, listening to, playing, or wearing to the prom.

Oh, and...

Apu_Nahasapeemapetilon_%28The_Simpsons%2

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Seems weird to wear the dress of a different culture to me, but then again, it's just fabric and not like it's part of some routine to ridicule Chinese.  Would be curious to see how strongly Lam practices his own culture, as he rises to defend it.

As always, Twitter is to blame for this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As always, Twitter is to blame for this.

The internet in a nutshell.

Also, I'm pretty sure most people condemned that douche and his dogpiling brigade.

My favourite response was famous internet fat-man Boogie2988 posting a picture of a fat suit and posting "My culture is not your Halloween costume".

Aaaaaannnnndddd..... here we go again. A whole lot of people in a snit over the entirely made up sin of "cultural appropriation" attacking an 18 year old kid because of her prom dress. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/05/01/its-just-a-dress-teens-chinese-prom-attire-stirs-cultural-appropriation-debate/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b71b5a906ee1

It sucks that there are so many people who wake up every day and just look for something to be pissed off about. There are tons of things going on worth being pissed off about but none of them involve what a total stranger is doing, saying, thinking, eating, drinking, listening to, playing, or wearing to the prom.

Oh, and...

Apu_Nahasapeemapetilon_%28The_Simpsons%2

have posted this before, but is worth the possible spam warning.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

hurlshot has mentioned how his middle-school students see racism everywhere and in seeming more than a few innocuous behavior and actions.  

am thinking adults cannot hide fear from children.  the sphincter clench and flop sweat reaction most adults have when faced with an accusation o' racism is communicated to any child within range.  whatever adults do to explain, it don't matter as kids observe how terrible it is to be accused o' racial insensitivity and racism.  the range o' what is considered racial insensitive has grown, which is a good thing given how bad the situation were in even Gromnir's living memory, but unfortunate am thinking we have inadvertent communicated to the next generation bad lessons.  our confusion regarding what is, or is not racial insensitive is lost on kids who only see the anxiety and worry resulting from any interpersonal conflict involving race/culture.

thus ends our pure nonsense theory as to how we got to this wacky place.  feel free to mock.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Potentially needed in the politics section, but eh.

31543912_356767938146368_920860337519565

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I dunno, I think Step 1 should be to show up well armed.

Half a year ago I actually found out why people are annoyed by what they see as cultural appropriation - even it if might not be meant as such. Insofar I can understand the person that initially accused that poor girl of cultural appropriation for wearing that dress. This does however in no way justify how the Twatteria piled up on her afterwards or that he acted on his feelings with no harm meant on her part.

In my case I'm not even talking about my actual culture, race and symbols associated with either. I just visited a medieval themed christmas market that is only open on one specific weekend in December. It was packed - almost impossible to get through the market and look at the available pieces in some semblance of peace.

Not only was it packed, it was chock-full of f'ing hipsters and jocks. The same sort of people who only a couple of years ago would otherwise beat up and bully people for even mentioning that they would want to visit anything medieval styled.

And while that was in no way rational (well, emotions rarely are) I actually got angry at them for being where they don't belong. This is my nerdy hobby. MY nerd culture. Something I endured humiliation and bullying for in the past. And no, in that moment I dind't think that they had any right to be there and clog up me and my friends trying to have some fun there.

Granted I never Twattered about it or otherwise made them miserable for following whatever's hip at the moment. Yet I still can't help but not liking the way nerd is becoming the new chic. Especially those thrice damned lipstick lesbians geek chic people that are literally everywhere these days. So, there I was, suddenly understanding why people can get their knickers in a bunch over a white guy wearing dreads. 

So TL;DR: I can understand why the guy posted what the did on Twitter. I don't agree with doing so because there was obviously no harm meant, but I can understand why he did. :)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.