The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

I'm not entirely convinced that solution isn't vulnerable to a breaking the window and using a bolt cutter. Or if you have a lot of ammo, just spraying into the door until you can physically break through it.

But most school shooters seem to be opportunistic rather than determined, so it'll probably work 9 times out of 10.

Sticking hand through the window opens the shooter up to a strike and prompting the guy to try to blast the door to pieces also helps as he's wasting ammo.   Could always just redesign the doors to remove the window as well - I had written change the material to steel then I remembered that life is not the movies :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Think you can break through it still.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not entirely convinced that solution isn't vulnerable to a breaking the window and using a bolt cutter. Or if you have a lot of ammo, just spraying into the door until you can physically break through it.

But most school shooters seem to be opportunistic rather than determined, so it'll probably work 9 times out of 10.

I have to think someone in the locked room will have the good sense to break the arm sticking through the window trying to cut the cable lock.

Why would you stick an arm in?  Wouldn't you slide the bolt cutter in and...cut?  I guess you could try and jostle the bolt cutter, but you'd have to be at the door to do that anyhow.

Again I think as a solution it'd work most of the time simply because the shooter is going to move on.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They should give teachers access to breaching charges, so they can reverse breach the shooter trying to storm the room

This is just creepy. Who do we have on the ground in Germany? Ben! We need to send Ben in with a hidden camera. Ben, you're number has just been called. We have a mission for you!

https://foto.gettyimages.com/news/culture/germany-sex-doll-brothel/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is just creepy. Who do we have on the ground in Germany? Ben! We need to send Ben in with a hidden camera. Ben, you're number has just been called. We have a mission for you!

https://foto.gettyimages.com/news/culture/germany-sex-doll-brothel/

We've had these dolls available in brothels for a while now, just not one that is exclusively a puppet show. But I'm also not German. And Ben is something like 17, unless I'm mistaken that's too young for brothels. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Interesting business idea. I wish I'd thought of it. I think I'd have gone with a different name but, it seems to work. http://theweek.com/articles/759527/rise-womenonly-coworking-spaces

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That concept seems to be based upon a chemical propulsion model. Perhaps an air-breathing, beam-powered propulsion system may still work, if the lasers are applied with sufficient strength and duration?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That concept seems to be based upon a chemical propulsion model. Perhaps an air-breathing, beam-powered propulsion system may still work, if the lasers are applied with sufficient strength and duration?

IIRC beam powered propulsion in atmosphere is subject to other limitations and is only marginally better than chemical.

With gravity this strong you'd have to resort to nuclear with all the problems that entails.

IIRC beam powered propulsion in atmosphere is subject to other limitations and is only marginally better than chemical.

With gravity this strong you'd have to resort to nuclear with all the problems that entails.

Yeah, the article is talking about conventional chemical propulsion and we already have to throw a lot of propulsion here on Earth. Assuming that aliens are at least as clever and creative as we are, they could hit on initial solutions that seem outlandish and unworkable here on Earth. A baloon lifted platform for example, which would be impractical here on Earth, could actually work better due to the denser atmosphere. Or perhaps a hybrid plane type thing.

• Like 1

The article also assumes that the aliens are of proportionate size to us. If they were smaller and built smaller space vehicles gravity becomes less problematic as weight and mass decrease. 

Thomas Sowell

weren't exact ancient history neither.  texts remained in use 'til 1970.

the good thing is those texts were eventual removed from classrooms.  makes one wonder why there is so much more resistance to removing monuments which were erected at same time and for same purposes as were those misguided textbooks.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)