The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

If this wasn't so true.. I'd post it in the FunnyThings thread....

29570913_1056500487844402_27337260585511

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Never knew Morocco had such a large fortification set  up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroccan_Western_Sahara_Wall

Physically, the berm is a 2 m (6 ft 7 in) high wall (with a backing trench), which rides along a topographical high point/ridge/hill throughout the territory. Spaced out over every 5 km (3.1 mi) are a big, small and medium base, with approximately 35–40 troops at each observation post and groups of 10 soldiers spaced out over the distance as well. About 4 km (2 12 mi) behind each major post there is a rapid reaction post, which includes backing mobile forces (tanks, etc). A series of overlapping fixed and mobile radars are also positioned throughout the berm. The radars are estimated to have a range of between 60 and 80 km (37 and 50 mi) into the Polisario controlled territory, and are generally utilized to locate artillery fire onto detected Polisario forces. Information from the radar is processed by a forward-based commander, who contacts a rear-based artillery unit.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh those silly Moroccan's! They should spend their monies on internet access so they can log into forums and see that walls are actually 138% ineffective in stopping border crossings, with the additional immigrants doing it just for the challenge. :yes:

They're actually protecting territory they are occupying, if you read the link.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I did read the link. :)  But wall gonna wall, and we all know they don't even work at stopping poor immigrants, much less armed combatants (IE: The Great Wall of China and the Maginot Line).

Well, it seems like it is working to repel the guerillas (well, it isn't operating in isolation).  Granted, it's not just a wall - minefields and 120,000 troops there.   

• Like 1

Reason skews Libertarian not Conservative. And it's much more news commentary that news. Mother Jones should be in "Extreme Liberal" since they advocate prison terms for people who have doubts about human culpability in climate change. Definitely red rectangle worthy. The rest looks about right.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, it seems like it is working to repel the guerillas (well, it isn't operating in isolation).  Granted, it's not just a wall - minefields and 120,000 troops there.

Huh, is it possible that we of the Obsidian Think Tank could be incorrect in our detailed analysis on the effectiveness of walls preventing people from illegally entering places? One thing is fo' sho', if we do move forward with Trump Wall, we need to get the Moroccans to build it. :lol:

Huh, is it possible that we of the Obsidian Think Tank could be incorrect in our detailed analysis on the effectiveness of walls preventing people from illegally entering places? One thing is fo' sho', if we do move forward with Trump Wall, we need to get the Moroccans to build it. :lol:

Thought it was the expense of trying to fortify the southern border.  Mind you, if there's a need for troops down there as in the Berm should send all the skinheaded badass cops from US cities to do a tour down there. They can play soldier :)

The expense is significant but we go 100B over budget just scratching our junk so were used to it. Besides, Mexico will pay for the wall. :lol:

I thought the consensus around here was it "wouldn't work" because the immigrants would simply walk in, tunnel under, go around, pole vault over, and whatnot?

The shocking amount of data Google and Facebook actually have about you.

Golly, good thing we squeeze out a pants biscuit if the government or law enforcement need any of this information.

Well, Google doesn't have stormtroopers, yet. But yeah, always baffled at how much people overshare online - people need to lie more :)

• Like 1

I don't know if I would equate "oversharing" with "not opting out", but true dat, they did agree to the company terms and conditions.

So by my estimates, roughly 138% of the Western world uses social media or Google, which have unfettered access to everything you do on your mobile devices. Hell, a fitbit logs how many times you shook your willy after urinating. :lol: But the "evil" governments and law enforcement agencies should never be allowed access to this private information because businesses are "good" and government/law enforcement are "bad". Seems legit.

But more likely its the case of "ignorance is bliss". The public didn't know about PRISM for decades and everything was fine, until they found out and decided they were being violated. The public didn't know about the data collection efforts of social media and Google so they didn't have anything to squeal about, until now. 

I think you hit on the biggest part of why business good and gov't bad. With Facebook and Google you have to opt-in but the government can just do it with no permission needed or even requested.

Of course the gov't already has all my info but I voluntarily gave it by first joining the military then joining the global travel program because I hate lines

Free games updated 3/4/21

I don't know if I would equate "oversharing" with "not opting out", but true dat, they did agree to the company terms and conditions.

So by my estimates, roughly 138% of the Western world uses social media or Google, which have unfettered access to everything you do on your mobile devices. Hell, a fitbit logs how many times you shook your willy after urinating. :lol: But the "evil" governments and law enforcement agencies should never be allowed access to this private information because businesses are "good" and government/law enforcement are "bad". Seems legit.

But more likely its the case of "ignorance is bliss". The public didn't know about PRISM for decades and everything was fine, until they found out and decided they were being violated. The public didn't know about the data collection efforts of social media and Google so they didn't have anything to squeal about, until now.

Wasn't trying to, just that if you have nothing major to be stolen, it's not that big a deal. But yes, you're right in that people were just ignorant of what was going on. Though in FB's case, people have been on about them being the product for years, and there's Zuckerburg's famous quote as well about people trusting him.

I'd say violation, in the case it's willing vs them fighting tooth and nail but not wanting to go like Lavabit.

On my phone now (in a waiting room) so I'll add the link later but a former CEO of Walmart saying the government should break up Amazon because they're anti-retail is cute considering his complaints are basically what Walmart did with its physical stores. Move in and put your competitors out of business by selling so cheap that they can't compete.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Amazon > Walmart any ****ing day.

I'm a bit past my defending Google days (which ended before they dropped their "Don't Be Evil" motto,) but Amazon's reinvestment rates keep them in the clear for me. 'Tis the future.