The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What a roller coaster ride for the inbreeding community.

A little long but a very interesting read about My Lai and the three men who did the right thing that day: http://reason.com/archives/2018/03/16/three-heroes-at-my-lai

When I consider the things I learned in my own military service it shocks me something lime this could have happened.  The US military takes considerable pains  during training on combat behavior and military ethics, I think that is in large part because of this. Hopefully some good can come from any tragedy or even crime. It also brings to mind how this serves as an argument against conscription because there is no denying the improvement in both attitude and discipline between a conscripted force and an all volunteer professional force.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

29313726_10156279984850746_4313109602930

"Oh yeah, internet retail is just killing these big box stores. That's what happened. (Also, just FYI, an equity firm riddled the company with insurmountable debt in a totally reckless business flipping scheme.) The end."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

There is an old saying: "The law may upset reason but reason may not upset the law". That is certainly true in this case: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/world/europe/romania-dead-man.html

This poor fellow went to work in Turkey and never went home. Well, his wife had him declared dead. Eventually the Turkish version of the INS caught him there with an expired visa and shipped him back home to Romania, where he found out he was legally dead. So he goes to court and the court tells him it cannot be reversed... he IS dead.

If I could write the final line to this story it would be: Following the decision the judge handed the plaintiff a loaded pistol and instructed him to "go do the right thing". :lol:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If I could write the final line to this story it would be: Following the decision the judge handed the plaintiff a loaded pistol and instructed him to "go do the right thing". :lol:

Shoot the judge. They can't charge a dead guy can they?

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Thomas Sowell

They should just use his name, kills the double entendre of the General Hooker Entrance. Didn't think they would have hookers visiting THAT much

I feel a little bad for ol' Fightin' Joe Hooker. Even that cool nickname came to him by accident. He was a competent commander and a good enough man. But all history remembers him for is losing the Battle of Chancellorsville despite outnumbering Lee. Lincoln was leaning on him so hard after that he resigned. The truth is Lincoln bears a big part o the blame for that loss..The rest of the war he served as a Corps commander and did good service. Nothing he'll be remembered for but important in it's own way. Naming a courthouse door after him is a small memorial to a an who did his job as best he could. But, because he happened to be named a name that triggers little snowflakes he may lose even that. 

I don't really care other than to remark how utterly and incomprehensibly stupid this whole "controversy" is.But there is a lot of that going around. Take the ignorance of who the man was coupled with the PC virus and add a few thin skinned know-nothings and this is the dish that gets served up.

Thomas Sowell

Had a friend who had distant relatives named Poopenfart.  Can only imagine the furor if they'd been memorialized somewhere in the US.

That said, the news reports the sign is only 8 years old.  Which raises the question of whether it really qualifies as historic and why someone didn't anticipate the 'problem' before they put the sign up and had his full name on it (possibly they sought to save money by having less letters on the signs?).

Also -

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man