The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Okay, here's a real one,

There's a church (a cult rather) in Pennsylvania that literally worships guns: bbc photos article where I saw it first: www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43231638  NPR article linked to on another forum: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/01/589808670/ar-15s-are-biblical-rod-of-iron-at-pennsylvania-church?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180301

And I mean literally worshipping guns, it takes the whole gun thing to another level entirely.

Edited by smjjames

Okay, here's a real one,

There's a church (a cult rather) in Pennsylvania that literally worships guns: bbc photos article where I saw it first: www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43231638  NPR article linked to on another forum: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/01/589808670/ar-15s-are-biblical-rod-of-iron-at-pennsylvania-church?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180301

And I mean literally worshipping guns, it takes the whole gun thing to another level entirely.

Ah, you beat me to it. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/28/pennsylvania-church-ceremony-guns/383815002/

"The church, which has a worldwide following, believes the AR-15 symbolizes the “rod of iron” in the book of Revelation, and encouraged couples to bring the weapons"

Kind of fitting I'm listening to Manowar's Guyana right now..

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Okay, here's a real one,

Hmmm.... First AND Second Amendment protection.... GENIUS!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Okay, here's a real one,

Hmmm.... First AND Second Amendment protection.... GENIUS!

as far as most religions is concerned, we s'pose a nietzschean and symbolic "worship" o' guns or weapons as a kinda statement o' individual empowerment makes sense to us and has appeal as well.

(riddle of steel begins at 2:31)

am technical catholic, but am suspecting you could say we worship steel... although such is a gross oversimplification.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

But, how can you worship guns and god at the same time?  One of the ten commandments is that you can only worship 'Him'. Therefore they broke a commandment therefore they are going to hell.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

College baseball coach in Texas fired after rejecting a recruit because of Colorado's pot laws

A Feb. 20 email from Texas Wesleyan coach Mike Jeffcoat wrote to a high school athlete reads:

"Thanks for the interest in our program. Unfortunately, we are not recruiting players from the state of Colorado. In the past, players have had trouble passing our drug test. We have made a decision to not take a chance on Student-athletes from your state. You can thank your liberal politicians. Best of Luck wherever you decide to play."

"I've never seen a coach send an email like that to a kid," Allan Dyer, the student-athlete's former high school coach, told the Houston Chronicle. "I was kind of shocked a coach would connect a political issue to a kid," Dyer told Chron.com on Wednesday afternoon.

"It just made no sense. The student has not been in trouble one time at our school."
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

6 out of 8

I had a cell phone and didn't like NKOTB at all. Didn't even know their names

I didn't like them. But I could sing most of their songs, because my sister played their music over and over and over... >_<

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I thought we were Gen Y?

Gen Y is millennials innit?

Xennial just being a sub group for the transitional period between X and Y

6 out of 8

I had a cell phone and didn't like NKOTB at all. Didn't even know their names

I didn't like them. But I could sing most of their songs, because my sister played their music over and over and over... >_<

By the time I started to like music they were already in decline though maybe I just came to music late

I was curious about the year ranges and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on exactly when it begins or ends. I've never really given it much thought.

lifted from Wikipedia because they have a lot of different sources

A minority of demographers and researchers start the generation in the mid-to-late 1970s, such as Synchrony Financial which describes millennials as starting as early as 1976 and ending at 1992, Mobilize.org which uses 1976–1996, MetLife which uses birth dates ranging 1977–1994,and Nielsen Media Research which uses 1977–1995.

The majority of researchers and demographers start the generation in the early 1980s, with many ending the generation in the mid-1990s. Australia's McCrindle Research regards 1980–1994 as Generation Y birth years. A 2013 PricewaterhouseCoopers report and Edelman Berland use 1980–1995. Gallup Inc., and MSW Research use 1980–1996. Pew Research Center and Ernst and Young use 1981–1996. Manpower Group uses 1982–1996.

Others end the generation in the late 1990s or early 2000s. A 2017 viral video from BuzzFeed, detailing the seven living generations of Americans, described millennials as those born between 1981–1997. On the American television program Survivor, for their 33rd season, subtitled Millennials vs. Gen X, the "Millennial tribe" consisted of individuals born between 1984 and 1997. Goldman Sachs, Resolution Foundation, and a 2013 Time magazine cover story all use 1980–2000. SYZYGY, a digital service agency partially owned by WPP, uses 1981–1998, and the United States Census Bureau uses 1982–2000. Pew Research Center defines millennials as being born from 1981 to 1996; though, prior to March 2018, it defined millennials as being born from 1981 to about 1997, with no chronological end point firmly established. The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary describes Millennials as those born between 1980-2000.

Demographers William Straus and Neil Howe define millennials as born between 1982–2004. However, Howe described the dividing line between millennials and the following Generation Z as "tentative", saying "you can’t be sure where history will someday draw a cohort dividing line until a generation fully comes of age". He noted that the millennials' range beginning in 1982 would point to the next generation's window starting between 2000 and 2006.

In his 2008 book The Lucky Few: Between the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boom, author Elwood Carlson defined this cohort as born between 1983–2001 based on the upswing in births after 1983 and finishing with the "political and social challenges" that occurred after the September 11 terrorist acts. In 2016, U.S Pirg described millennials as those born between 1983 and 2000.

Due to birth-year overlap between definitions of Generation X and millennials, and the tentative nature of generations, some individuals born in the late 1970s and early 1980s see themselves as being "between" the two generations. Names given to those born in the Generation X and Millennial cusp years include Xennials, The Lucky Ones, Generation Catalano, and the Oregon Trail Generation. Individuals born between the years 1995-2000 are said to belong to the Millennial and Generation Z, or the "YZ" cusp. 

• Like 2