The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

An academic question for me if there ever was one :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Chinese woman joins handbag in X-ray machine

_100041924_xray_china_pear_video.jpg

Staff at Dongguan Railway Station in southern China were shocked to find the silhouette of the train commuter on their X-ray monitors.

An online video showed the bizarre incident took place on Sunday during the Lunar New Year travel rush.

After climbing off the conveyor belt, the woman checked her bags and left.

Extraordinary X-ray images show the woman kneeling on all fours behind her luggage, still wearing high-heeled shoes.

It is unclear why the woman was so anxious about her handbag, but many people in China carry large amounts of cash when travelling home for Chinese New Year.

Free games updated 3/4/21

A youtuber who claimed being vegan cured her cancer has died from cancer

What somewhat boggles me is that the niece who used to make the video blogs with her... is still behind it and insisting that veganism, juicing, and faith in god will cure cancer.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Obituary that made strangers miss a man they never knew

“Terry Wayne Ward, age 71, of DeMotte, IN, escaped this mortal realm on Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018, leaving behind 32 jars of Miracle Whip, 17 boxes of Hamburger Helper and multitudes of other random items that would prove helpful in the event of a zombie apocalypse,”

----

“He met the love of his life, Kathy, by telling her he was a lineman — he didn’t specify early on that he was a lineman for the phone company, not the NFL,” Lahm wrote. “Still, Kathy and Terry wed in the fall of 1969, perfectly between the Summer of Love and the Winter of Regret.”

----

“He was a renowned distributor of popsicles and ice cream sandwiches to his grandchildren. He also turned on programs such as ‘Phineas and Ferb’ for his grand-youngins, usually when they were actually there.”

---

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So the lesson here is they don't actually read the things they publish.... or worse... the do!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's official: Glasgow Montana is the "middle of nowhere". Sounds like my kind of place actually!

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/2018/02/20/stats-prove-montana-home-middle-nowhere/355075002/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Great Blue Spot on Neptune has disappeared. The storm that has been raging across that planet's southern hemisphere since it was first photographed by Hubble some 20 years ago has petered out. And it looks like the big red storm on Jupiter is doing the same. Why the climates on these two planets is changing is anyone's guess. But I'm sure CNN will blame the Republicans and Al Gore will blame freedom and Capitalism!   :lol:

http://bgr.com/2018/02/16/neptune-storm-vanish-weather-solar-system/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/921697/jupiter-great-red-spot-pictures-nasa-space-storm

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

The Great Blue Spot on Neptune has disappeared. The storm that has been raging across that planet's southern hemisphere since it was first photographed by Hubble some 20 years ago has petered out. And it looks like the big red storm on Jupiter is doing the same. Why the climates on these two planets is changing is anyone's guess. But I'm sure CNN will blame the Republicans and Al Gore will blame freedom and Capitalism!   :lol:

http://bgr.com/2018/02/16/neptune-storm-vanish-weather-solar-system/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/921697/jupiter-great-red-spot-pictures-nasa-space-storm

Har har you :p

The Great Red Spot on Jupiter has been declining for a long time though and we don't know how long the one on Neptune has been there. The GRS though has been observed since at least the 17th century.

I suppose it'll be interesting to see if theres any new systems developing as that one fades. Though it may be possible that the cycles that involve the GRS take centuries to happen.

Is it bad that I got a couple of tears in my eyes reading that? =)

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

An amateur astronomer in Argentina captures the first images of a supernova beginning: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/amateur-astronomer-captures-supernovas-first-light/

One thing you have to love about astronomy is it's accessibility to hobbyists. A great many discoveries are made by non-professionals.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell