What are you playing right now?

Blarghagh

Sadly I think the days of dedicated servers are going away. Companies want to create a standardized experience that they can control. They also want to control any sort of fun novel experience that server admins might conjure up.

Unfortunately, companies haven't figured out a way to offer players freedom of association. So your stuck playing with people who have a very different goal than you when they sit down at their computer.

• Like 1

I had to quit Assassin's Creed: Origins after 12 hours or so because the hand to hand combat is clunky and the boss fight with the hyena character really annoyed the hell out of me.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Square revealed today that PC-FFXV will have Denuvo and that's caused a ruckus. Won't stop me, however. Not that I like DRM. But ...

Pre-loading on Steam apparently = can't play the demo anymore, so I'm not doing that. Having too much fun with the Ansel screenshot feature. I decided I'd install geforce Experience for the first time ever ("create an account" - sigh, of course) to see if their video-recording thingie was decent (still love Fraps but XV produces extraextra huge fraps raw files...). But I can't get it to work/record. The fps counter works and the screenshot works, just not video. Grrr.

Side benefit - installing Experience seems to have made it so Ansel does not cause the game to lag-out/hitch. So I guess I'll leave it installed for now.

The XV demo still runs pretty good - I run it at 1080 with 150% scaling + 4k textures and that makes it look super crisp. It's totally awesome.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have so many games to play on the PS4 alone.  I still need to finish Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and Watch_Dogs 2.  I am super excited to dive deep into Kingdom Come: Deliverance.  I haven't even started Technomancer or Nier: Automata.  I just can't pull myself away from Monster Hunter World.  Every time I think "Let's take a break and play something else for a short bit."  Then I fire up the ol' PS4 Pro and I just immediately start MHW.  As soon as I see the logo on the screen I can't select anything else.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only Monster Hunter.

Anyway, I'm at hunter rank 13 now and have unlocked the battle with Nergigante.  I've scrapped with ol' Nergi twice before, but both the times it wasn't a fight to the finish, it was just to drive it off.  This time, I suspect, it's time to finish the job.  Before I do that, though, I'm going to do several optional quests and investigations to get geared up as well as I can.  I may want to invest in a weapon with Elder Dragon Seal, but the one I can currently get with the materials I have is kinda low in the damage department.  There is a very definite possibility that I'll get my arse handed to me the first time we fight for real.  In fact, I'd be almost disappointed if I didn't.  If that does happen, I'll use the knowledge I've gained during the battle to better equip myself for the next go round.

This will be the 3rd elder dragon I've fought, the other 2 being Kirin and Zorah Magdaros.  For those unfamiliar with the MH universe, Elder Dragons don't have to look like what most people picture a dragon to look like, they can be anything.  Elder Dragons are monsters that are very powerful and are beyond classification in any category established by the Research Commission, as they don't fit into the ecosystem.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And then you'll "have to" play until you reach HR 100 when you get the last quest. And after that you'll grind for the best builds etc.

I hope i will to. I can barely played 30-45 every few days ;_;

Also i've bought and tried Into the breach. It's been fun so far.  I will have to reserve some time to play that because i think i'll like it very much.

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I mean, 90% of Monster Hunter is grind, 98% if you want to max out.  You fight monsters to gather parts off their corpse or, better yet, captured body.  You use said parts to make better gear.  You use the better gear to fight stronger monsters.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Always repeat.

hqdefault.jpg

The loot treadmill works in Monster Hunter because the grind itself is enjoyable.  Fighting the giant monsters is fun and always exciting.  Even fighting the same monster again and again you can have very different experiences because the other creatures in that environment don't just disappear, they still go about their business.  You may be fighting an Anjanath when a Pink Rathian decides to intervene like "Surprise Mother*****."

BigSurprise.jpg

Then **** gets crazy.  :dancing:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wandering around in Assassin's Creed Origins.  I'm just collecting pelts and stuff, plus the odd assassinations if any of the bad guys drifts too far away from his companions.

They seem to have taken a page out of the Witcher 3 (or most RPGs, at that) with their branching skill trees where you can focus on one of three different styles of assassins.  I like the sleep and poison darts, so I'm working on the Seer path right now.  It probably won't matter in the end as I'll likely accumulate enough skill points to fill all three paths.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Still playing God Eater 2: Rage Burst.

Solo'ed a Chrome Gawain (the infamous 129th story mission, the AI-companion got KO'ed in 10 seconds). It felt more like Dark Souls, than Monster Hunter - I had to study its moveset, attack carefully and save enough stamina to block or dodge.

• Like 1

Yeah Keyrock i just got to the aforementioned Rathian version and it's kicking my ass all over Coral land. And a legiana seems to wait for the most inopportune moment to fall down on me. Maybe i should upgrade my armor a little. :D

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Trolling people in Overwatch by trying to ice skate uphill. Is more fun than the actual gameplay

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just finished Tyranny. Played a diplomatic mage party, anarchy route. Tyranny was significantly better than PoE. Story was better, world was more interesting, companions of more consistent quality, better "stronghold", better dialogue, reactivity, loot, etc. It's only real sins were being spawned from the ribs of PoE and having a tiny budget. Combat was not quite the drudgery it is exclaimed to be, even if it's not excellent. I still blame any of those failings on being inherited from PoE, though. Overall, I enjoyed it. I know this because I actually took my time on it--which I have very little of these days. I also made an effort to play through it, rather than dabble. It's too bad they weren't able to further expand on the game's length. I would have liked to see more of it.

• Like 5

Just finished Tyranny. Played a diplomatic mage party, anarchy route. Tyranny was significantly better than PoE. Story was better, world was more interesting, companions of more consistent quality, better "stronghold", better dialogue, reactivity, loot, etc. It's only real sins were being spawned from the ribs of PoE and having a tiny budget. Combat was not quite the drudgery it is exclaimed to be, even if it's not excellent. I still blame any of those failings on being inherited from PoE, though. Overall, I enjoyed it. I know this because I actually took my time on it--which I have very little of these days. I also made an effort to play through it, rather than dabble. It's too bad they weren't able to further expand on the game's length. I would have liked to see more of it.

Pretty much agree completely on the comparisons between the 2 games.  One of the best decisions I made in my Tyranny playthrough was setting difficulty to easy, or casual, or whatever it was called.  This made all the combat in the game trivial (and less tedious!) and took any temptation to make decisions based on getting specific combat perks out of the equation, because who cares when the combat is so easy?  I went pure role play for the whole game and made every decision solely on the basis of that's how the character I envisioned (cold, calculating manipulator) would react in that situation, and it was a great experience throughout.  Like you, I just wish it had been a bit longer.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Tomb Raider Underworld... it's quite the phenomenal game. There are not many franchises which hold up to today's standard but the old Tomb Raider games seem to do just fine. Remarkable.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Ended up playing Stellaris until 4 at night by accident.

I'm playing my authoritarian materialist shadow anthropods. It's so much easier than my Driven Assimilators because nobody hates me. They're terrified of me, envious of my tech, so they start making deals with me. And that makes them like me even more.

Nobody has dared so much as rival me the entire game. That's how terrifying my empire is to them. Which kind of puts a damper on the idea of me playing better-than-thou despots who go around kicking the crap out of everyone who doesn't give us some respect. Because they all give me respect! Anytime someone is losing a war and down to their last planet, they come beg to be my protectorate. And the people trying to conquer them turn around and says "Oh, they're with you? We had no idea!"

The only people who look at me cross-eyed are the Spiritualist Fallen Empire. And that's because I went Synthetic Ascension. Oh man, they really hate me and they don't know how to handle it. Every few years, they start a war (they've done it 3 so far and show no sign of stopping) to humiliate me. But even they're terrified of fighting me, so they go and try to pick on this guy I have a defensive pact with whose sole remaining territory is on the other side of the galaxy.

But I'm literally next door to the Spiritualist FE. So when they run off, I start raiding their stuff. They come back, see my my fleet, and start having second thoughts. They keep running away if I try to engage them. The three wars have all ended in stalemates, with me occupying a bunch of territory, but them kicking the crap out of my fleet after I finally force the engagement. But the difference is I can rebuild my fleet and they can't. The next one will be decisive.

I'm about to start blowing up planets I'm so tired of their nonsense. Just not the big planets with unique buildings. I might neutron sweep those.

Edit: Also fun, I had a Great Khan rise up shortly before all this Spiritualist business started. He went around conquering a bit, nearly destroyed the determined exterminators. And then seemingly when he should have started hittting his stride, even though it barely started, and just when I was going on the offensive... he died. And it split up. It was so anticlimactic.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Maybe it's just my perception, but the graphics in Assassin's Creed Origins don't look any better than previous installments.  In some cases, the character models look less refined.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

But the difference is I can rebuild my fleet and they can't. The next one will be decisive.

You've racked up alot of 'awakening' points there however. I got completly annihilated in a similar game (pre 2.0) when the FE went on a holy crusade against me after the third skirmish.

Fortune favors the bald.

Still playing Tales of the Abyss. I would say, I have not seen JRPG with so much text in last decade.

I got more accustomed to the combat, but after 40+ hours of gameplay, I think I have spent more time in dialogue, than in combat :-P

I have no issues with that in general, but sometimes I feel like I need to hit something :-P

Still it does not hinder my enjoyment of the game, and hope Bamco will give us some new or remastered Tales game soon :(

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Battle Chasers: Nightwars

It's nothing spectacular but it's decent enough. Looks pretty and audio is good. Played a dungeon on normal and it seems that the game could be quite challenging. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

Well from what I've seen, the new Royal/Windows XV content is fairly minimal in terms of time added, so now I'm wondering if I should skip spending the extra $15-$20 on console and just play savefile catch up on PC. But that would mean console saves wouldn't be "complete" anymore.

Decisions, decisions!

The new (free) update to Comrades DLC last night was fairly substantial tho. Doesn't make me want to grind for 10+ hours to do/get everything but at least it helps make the dlc feel more solid. The mission with the 4 bro's should've been in the main game tho - covers a badly missing section near the end-game that would enhance main-game playthru a lot, but noooo, they made it part of the co-op MP dlc (it's also how you get their character-editor usable clothes/features, have to do it 4 times to get each bro's look). Marketing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts