What are you playing right now?

Blarghagh

Yeah sure, mostly forgettable tracks that can't be listened to on their own.

It's a soundtrack, designed to complement a game, not to be listened to on its own. And it works damn well for that purpose. Regardless, there's quite a few tracks that work stand-alone too.

But yet I still see people claiming it is some hallmark of metal :lol:

It's not really pure metal, so... Eh.

Surprisingly almost every other OST works on its own, though from UT to SupCom. Even with the game I don't see what everyone is raving over. But then again I look at what is popular in metal now so that makes sense, I suppose.

Playing Overwatch some more this weekend, have realized that Silver really is ELO hell.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No, they are to busy interviewing psychologist, how to implement the most addictive microtransactions without causing customer backlash.

Well as they should, they're in it to make money off the consumers

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now that I finished the story in MHW, I can finally pull myself away from the game, from time to time (I still play it to grind up to HR 100), so I started playing Vaporum.  It's a grid-based first-person dungeon crawler set in a mysterious mechanical tower on an island.  To put it in simplest terms, think Legend of Grimrock but steampunk.  The game is real time, but you can essentially turn it into turn-based by toggling a switch that pauses time until you act.  While I normally prefer turn-based, I haven't bothered toggling into paused time yet as you only play a single character, as opposed to a party, so there isn't really much in the way of micromanaging (which I super suck at in real time).  

I've played a couple of hours of Vaporum and I'm bound to finish it eventually - once I finish one of my Stellaris campaigns. *sigh*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

No, they are to busy interviewing psychologist, how to implement the most addictive microtransactions without causing customer backlash.

Or, they could maybe make a product, that people really enjoy.

Yes, you are right, what a silly suggestion... why would customers ever buy enjoyable and quality products?

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Or, they could maybe make a product, that people really enjoy.

Yes, you are right, what a silly suggestion... why would customers ever buy enjoyable and quality products?

Well people will also buy stuff either way, either good product or manipulation. Gamers are like sports fans, amusingly exploitable resources.

• Like 1

They have probably added all the DLCs which you had to pay for otherwise(not counting the cosmetic and in-game items). I might check it out as well, the good thing about it is that you can play it all by yourself and focus on the storytelling.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I finished Chaos;Child.

I can tell that I really got attached to the character by how disappointed I was in the ending. I'm not sure what that means for my overall opinion of the game.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Surprisingly almost every other OST works on its own, though from UT to SupCom.

Neither contained dynamic music (as in, music which would change dynamically based on stage of a fight and actions of the player - SupCom may have contained separate 'calm' and 'battle' tracks, I don't think it did tho.)

Surprisingly almost every other OST works on its own, though from UT to SupCom.

Neither contained dynamic music (as in, music which would change dynamically based on stage of a fight and actions of the player - SupCom may have contained separate 'calm' and 'battle' tracks, I don't think it did tho.)

SupCom, like TA would change soundtrack depending on combat.  Funny joke about Rhiza's Offensive being when you reclaim a tree.  In any case, that's the sound system more so than the soundtrack.   They need to make an FPS with a full orchestral soundtrack.

Just finished Dex. I've played it a bit before but hated the hacking mini-game (which is a big part of the game). I started playing last Saturday night, through Sunday, and then all day today. Finished it in just under 20 hours. That's with me nearly 100% the whole game. Not very long, but enjoyable. I don't think there's much value in replaying (yes, there are branching quests, alternate character builds, and different endings, but I didn't get the impression that they made the game feel vastly different or anything). Good game worth playing, especially at the price point.

Edited by the_dog_days
  • Like 2

I'm 40 hours into Fallout 4 and (to my mild shame) I'm having a good time.  I just wish they could have jettisoned that utterly incompetent (weird cg potato) baby plot thread...or at the very least get a truly capable writer to make it work.

In fact if the game could have had just a handful of genuinely deep and interesting characters I'd find it easier to ignore the way they tore the heart out of the franchise.  As it stands I'm trying to be forgiving and take the game on it's own merits and I have to admit that it does the Bethesda formula very well. 

After getting past my initial outrage I'm starting to see it as the Oblivion of the Fallout franchise.

Yes, at least the companion quality seems to be going up each game (hope I didn't jinx it now), Nick Valentine is pretty nice and he easily gets the most screen time out of all of them with the ties into Far-Harbor. If they'd just fix the main story thing and deepen out the companion backgrounds more that's all I want. Because honestly, all most (or maybe I'm the odd one out *cough*) people want from a TES game is an excuse to roam around, trying to tell a deep and engaging overarching story in an open world setting seems a bit beyond Bethesda.

They should have just stopped at the cryogenically frozen part, ditched the "kidnapped child" bollocks and played the "fish out of water" element out a bit more (more references to the old world, more banter with Ghouls, maybe run into some (more) acquaintances from before the war that got Ghoulified (and are not feral..), etc. Try to keep the initial "what the hell hapened to the world" vibe from the start going.

Other than that, it's mostly fixing all the broken stuff in the game. And boy, is there a lot to fix, with the loading times in certain areas (central Boston mostly) and the utterly broken settler and companion behaviour kind of being the top of my list currently (and their treatment of mods, of course, but that's not really a technical issue...).

• Like 1

I need another game that supports nvidia's Ansel. But none of these seem interesting. I guess it's too new.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/games/#ansel

One of my favorite things about photography was always composing a shot, taking that long time to actually figure out what you want in the frame, scooting closer or farther, squatting or leaning over, zoom or not zoom, getting a neckache from holding a position for too long trying to frame/angle for a shot....which is why I suppose I like Ansel/taking screenshots so much. Sounds silly maybe but ah well.

Reached the main open world area of FFXV on PC, which took its toll on the 4k performance meter, mostly in frame pacing/smoothness. Had to turn Lighting to Low instead of Average (Lighting in XV seems to be largely about reflections, like on water and rain soaked objects). Although I think it did reduce some of the slight bloom-y look as well ... which bothers me not at all. Feels stable again but if I have to I can always drop it to 1440, still looks pretty good on the 4k screen that way and w/Ansel you can make shots any size you want regardless, anyway.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Have the mechanics changed any? I remember liking the story but hating the gameplay

This is all I could dig, but apparently the gearing(whatever that is supposed to mean) and Inventory have improved a bit.

The gameplay was so boring

'boring' is putting it lightly. I wonder why they didn't make the game play like Mass Effect 1 or something similar to it.

I'm losing all steam with Assassin's Creed Origins.  The main quest, which is what usually keeps me interested in most video games, seems like nothing more than a glorified bounty hunting side quest.  I get that's been the formula for pretty much every AC game before this one, but there was usually more flesh to the story, more lead up to the actual "finally kill this boss".

Far Cry 5 comes out next week, so I might as well just power through the rest of the main story and move on.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

After AC: Origins, I finally learned why you can't really trust Steam user reviews either. The fighting system has to be the most awful part of the game though and who on gods green earth though it was a good idea to add boss fights to the whole mess!

My suggestion: buy this game once it is 20 bucks or less. 

After AC: Origins, I finally learned why you can't really trust Steam user reviews either. The fighting system has to be the most awful part of the game though and who on gods green earth though it was a good idea to add boss fights to the whole mess!

My suggestion: buy this game once it is 20 bucks or less. 

The problem I have with the fighting is it's so clunky.  The shield doesn't actually block anything 95% of the time, and if your opponent has a shield, it's so incredibly clunky to try and dodge/strike because when you dodge, he still turns around to block you 95% of the time.  The 5% he doesn't block you, your dodge seems to carry you way too far to land a counter strike.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yup. That was pretty much the same experience I had. Shame, the setting had tons of potential but now the game is simply dragged down by bad gameplay and a sub par story.

Downloading Sea of Thieves. Gotta see what the fuss is all about and if It is possible to play it without a headset.

I'm 40 hours into Fallout 4 and (to my mild shame) I'm having a good time.  I just wish they could have jettisoned that utterly incompetent (weird cg potato) baby plot thread...or at the very least get a truly capable writer to make it work.

In fact if the game could have had just a handful of genuinely deep and interesting characters I'd find it easier to ignore the way they tore the heart out of the franchise.  As it stands I'm trying to be forgiving and take the game on it's own merits and I have to admit that it does the Bethesda formula very well. 

After getting past my initial outrage I'm starting to see it as the Oblivion of the Fallout franchise.

Yes, at least the companion quality seems to be going up each game (hope I didn't jinx it now), Nick Valentine is pretty nice and he easily gets the most screen time out of all of them with the ties into Far-Harbor. If they'd just fix the main story thing and deepen out the companion backgrounds more that's all I want. Because honestly, all most (or maybe I'm the odd one out *cough*) people want from a TES game is an excuse to roam around, trying to tell a deep and engaging overarching story in an open world setting seems a bit beyond Bethesda.

They should have just stopped at the cryogenically frozen part, ditched the "kidnapped child" bollocks and played the "fish out of water" element out a bit more (more references to the old world, more banter with Ghouls, maybe run into some (more) acquaintances from before the war that got Ghoulified (and are not feral..), etc. Try to keep the initial "what the hell hapened to the world" vibe from the start going.

Other than that, it's mostly fixing all the broken stuff in the game. And boy, is there a lot to fix, with the loading times in certain areas (central Boston mostly) and the utterly broken settler and companion behaviour kind of being the top of my list currently (and their treatment of mods, of course, but that's not really a technical issue...).

Yeah the companions are pretty decent for a Bethesda game.  Right now I'm wandering around with Deacon and he's made me chuckle.  I especially like the way his costume changes tend to match the environment, baseball gear for Diamond City and a lab coat around Cabot House.

Loading speeds are (insanely...) tied to vsync, Load Accelerator  cuts down those two minute monsters to 15 seconds, it's essential.

I started up Nioh last night. I wanted to play with the big katana (Odachi) and found out it was much bigger and clumsier than I expected. Geeze, is that even a real weapon? (Looking at wikipedia now, it doesn't look like they were quite that big.) So now I've switched to a regular Katana instead.

I played the last beta they had and remember it being the toughest Soulslike I'd ever played. But playing now, and getting to the same area as from that beta, it's seeming much easier. I'm definitely glad they got rid of weapon degredation, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."