Moments in gaming that had a huge emotional impact on you...

Katphood

Me too, many places and events in Planescape: Torment.

A bit in Alpha Protocol too,

Madison :(

A bit in the end of Mask of Betrayer

the destiny of Kaelyn was very sad no matter what you did to her

Fallout

the first time (and every time after) the dog got shot down. :(

In the end, I refused to adopt him, it was too dangerous.

Maybe I should try, considering a more difficult mode with the objective to maintain him alive.

And in Phantasy Star II

Nei

It wasn't a very big move in today's standards, but back then, it was the very first time something like this happened to a second character very close to the main one in a video game, IIRC.

The one which started all. :p

• Like 1

To add, the ONLY times I've ever felt bad killing someone in a game strangely was the same person, Andrew Ryan and Mr. House. In Bioshock I can evaporate and throw away those creepy lil girls without a care but always dread getting to Andrew Ryan. Hell in FONV I mainly do Mr. House playthrus because he's the only person in the game I feel any type of regret and sadness killing, besides Doc Mitchell who I have never ever killed before ever because he's truely the only pure good person in the game.

• Fallout's fate of the Vault dweller

Death of the Necropolis in Fallout; for unintentionally stealing their water chip

Homeworld's destruction of Kharak, and several of its later events (like salvaging the last of the Higaran cryo-chambers filled with their frozen populace—while they were being destroyed (100,000 at a time) by remnants of the force that destroyed the planet; seen smouldering in the backdrop of space.

The Myth 1 & 2 journal entries before & after certain big and desperate conflicts

Bobby's rabid dog; in Wasteland

Edited by Gizmo

Dark Souls II. When I defeated the Fume Knight (Raime), I almost cried. It took about 2-3 days.

Edit. Furi. When I defeated the Burst (with KB&M). Same time, same reason. Never going to fight this boss again, though (unlike Raime).

Edited by Hawke64

Does multiplayer game count?

If so, The Escapists 2 comes to mind...

Upon joining somebody's game who had over 78 hours, planning action on a critical prison escape and avoid notoriety by achieving a perfect score.

I had missed roll call where all the prisoners showed up for the morning meet and greet, the person whom I joined their game was there waiting. I hid from the incoming guards who were now aware of my missing from the important meeting.  What did I do then? I hid in an unlocked cell, threw some curtains over/between the bars and started to mess around. I find myself having to flush contraband in a toilet before long... His toilet... in HIS cell. When roll-call was over, he was notified and typed "Uhhh... WHY IS MY CELL FLOODED?"

Needless to say, this caused a chain reaction. The stuffed toilet caused an overflow which caused a plumber to come fix the mess, who then discovered the player's hidden contranand which summoned dogs and so on. Instant 5 star security!

The person ended up losing all progress, because of my mistake. Something like this can only be done in The Escapists 2. I felt sad, apologized and left the game aost instantaneously... felt really bad and yet cannot help but to laugh when remembering that something like this actually could happen LOL!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I remember being hit surprisingly hard by this moment in one of my playthroughs of KotOR II with the restored content mod:

When playing as a female Exile, Atton lost the battle with Sion. After I defeated Kreia, I found him dying and had a final conversation with him which was unexpectedly poignant. I've only had that ending happen in one playthrough, but I still remember it to this day.