Moments in gaming that had a huge emotional impact on you...

Katphood

Any games that made you all teary?!

Max Payne 3

[

Max Payne: So I guess I'd become what they wanted me to be, a killer. Some rent-a-clown with a gun who puts holes in other bad guys. Well that's what they had paid for, so in the end that's what they got. Say what you want about Americans but we understand capitalism. You buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for, and these chumps had paid for some angry gringo without the sensibilities to know right from wrong. Here I was about to execute this poor bastard like some dime store angel of death and I realized they were correct, I wouldn't know right from wrong if one of them was helping the poor and the other was banging my sister...

and then there is this:

That song towards the end just makes me want to cry. :(

Fallout: New Vegas

C_9fz1EU0AAOHq7.jpg

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Gone...gone...

I go cry a bit... 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

The end of Telltales The Walking Dead season 1 was probably the most gutwrenching emotional experience, that I've ever had in gaming.

But Zahua's personal quest in Pillars of Eternity really affected me. I was distraught for a few days afterwards :)

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

There are only three games where I was tear-strucked

Final Fantasy VII and death of Aerith. I was teenager at that time, and have pretty enjoyed her story in the game, and then she was gone. I was shocked!

The second one was ending of Final Fantasy X. It was soooooo sad at the time, when I have finished it for the first time. *wipes away tears*

And the last one was pretty recent Tales of Berseria. But I will not spoil anything, because it is still pretty new game.

On the other hand, SoulCalibur V made me pretty emotional, when I was going for the Platinum Trophy. The hardest difficulty bots required for the trophy made me go so much berserk few times, that I had to put few pillows around my gaming seat, so I would not smash my controllers to pieces :D

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Telltale's the Walking Dead, not the end but that bit with two parents and their child. Y'know?

Mengsk ordering to abandon Kerrigan in StarCraft. Kerrigan killing Fenix in Brood War.

Being lost and having run out of lightsources in the dungeon areas of Amnesia: The Dark Descent - not teary eyed, but by far the most visceral emotional reaction I've had to a video game ever.

Transistor... that ending.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Typically/on average games don't hit my emotional core all that much. I think games in general is just a story-telling format that doesn't work for me in that regard most of the time or something. Not that I don't like the stories, it's just hard to get involved with them to any great degree.

But FO:NV's Boone's PTSD almost made me cry.

And in FFXV, it went darker than I was expecting, what with the sunny chocobo's and generic monster hunting, fishing, etc. beforehand.

--when Ignis was blinded and then having to guide/help him around as the other bro's argue

--sifting through and picking the Prompto picture at the end was a great sniffle-inducing device

--the bro's saying goodbye

--very end game cutscene because ... a father's look and brief hesitation for what he/his son had to do to prevail

There's probably another example or two but most of the time my emotional impact of games is limited to amusement/laughter. I mean that in a good sense. I like funnies and the more I laugh while playing a game, the more I'll remember/like it. (edit - the humor I find is not always, I think, game-intentional, heh)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If funny counts as emotional impact, Overlords had me in stitches almost the entire time. Because ... minions. Whoosh whoosh whoosh.

(no spoilers)

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Majora's Mask

Anju, waiting for news of her husband-to-be after his sudden disappearance, leaves her inn only once during the game to quietly sit in the rain while the apocalypse looms directly overhead. It's an understated but sad scene.

Baldur's Gate II

Both Bodhi and Irenicus made me really think about life and death, and stuff like capital punishment and revenge over the years. Their souls were destroyed (or virtually so) as a punishment for their crimes prior to the events of the game, and after having finally been made whole again (even though it was through evil means), they have it torn away from them again almost immediately before being summarily executed. Bodhi's last words were a wail, crying for the life she had just gotten back and knew she was about to lose again, right before you literally drive a stake through her heart. Whenever I replay BG2, I hate hearing those words - rings of a person desperately holding onto dear life...and failing, just as we all eventually do. Years later, I would play Mask of the Betrayer which dealt even more stronger with some of these themes, and it would just help underscore how utterly wrong it all seemed. Worse, there was no evidence that the gods had learned any kind of lesson for what they'd done, the evil they had helped bring about in their little punitive act of revenge. All of it could've been avoided if they had just executed Irenicus and Bodhi in a normal manner, sending them to their afterlives as should've happened after their first great crime, instead of sucking away their souls and leaving them for dead...or not so dead, as it were.

Life Is Strange

I played this game about a year after my sister committed suicide (...and even shorter than that after my dad had done the same, but that's another story). The entire game hurt, seeing the sad parallels between her and Chloe, and feeling like a Max while seeing somebody close to you go off-the-rails and be unreasonably uncontrolled and self-destructive with no real way to reel them in. It especially hurt that, even though it was given a kind of strange and contrived reason for it, the game ended pretty much the same way as it did for my sister.

​Undertale​

This game had a few moments of emotional impact, but the one that sticks out most in my mind is something that didn't even happen to me in-game. I watched somebody else play this game for about the first hour, and they killed Toriel. It was what sold me on trying out the game myself, because it just seemed so messed up - a character that attempts to establish herself as a motherly figure to the protagonist, that only treats you with kindness and the best of intentions, and you murder her. Not only that, but as she cries and keels over, her dying words are just that she hopes that you'll be good. That's a wonderful and loving mom if I ever saw one, and now you killed her. I was determined to see if it was possible for her to not die like that, and was very happy to discover that it was - I was hooked into the game from then on, which is especially fitting as the game becomes much stronger gameplay wise right after that, and increasingly so as the game goes on.

​Others, I'm sure, but these are the ones sticking out in my head right now.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Any games that made you all teary?!

Oh, yes... a couple of games managed to make me all teary, e.g.:

Planescape: Torment made me misty eyed - Sending your companions back to Sigil, particularily Fall-From-Grace.

TIME LAYS WASTE TO ALL THINGS. BUT I SHALL FIGHT IT AS LONG AS I CAN.

There's only one though that made me bawl my eyes out (repeatedly, even after knowing the almost inevitable outcome of the story) and that was Kana – Imōto (Little Sister). Googling too much might be NSFW considering it is, in the end, an eroge visual novel, albeit one that uses the sex scenes for storytelling purposes instead of being gratuitous and masturbatory or the end-game goal itself.

Oh and there is a censored, sexless PSP version for everyone grossed out by the, uhm, theme of the game. For those who like visual novels but not eroge... :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The ending of Mafia.

That's about all I can recall right now. :/

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Majora's Mask 

When you go to the Moon. I expected anything but a big green field with a tree in the middle.

MGS V: The Phantom Pain

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Fonv-surviver notes in HH, dead money and leaving the dlc.

Ff6-a few of the characters back stories (I was young)

Secret of evermore-quite a few moments in that game made me sad.

Silent Hill 2- finding out the truth and the one lady I forgot if was a ghost or not.

Silent Hill 1- losing the cop lady and that ****ing nurse :(

• Like 1

The first mission in Dragon Rising, I cried because I decide to play such a piece of crap.

I did nearly have a heart attack playing Red Alert, on the timed mission in the Allied campaign to disable nukes, I had barely any men left and finished it with < 10 seconds on the clock.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra