Analysis of Meta-Game [Abilities/Spells]

Hello,

Today, analysis of Paladin. There is a new rule in this game compared to POE1 : each point spend can ben spend to another class (eventually = if you multiclass)

So balancing is much more important.

here is my opinion, totally subjective, on Paladin.

ACTIVE ABILITIES

Sworn ennemy

Awsome ability. I like the change. Why ? Because before, in POE1, we were doing one action for less than equivalent of a hit with a looong recovery. Now with almost instant effect, this debate is over. Great decision Obsidian.

Proposal : Perfect like this.

Flames of devotion

One of the best tools of Paladin. A sure valor.

Lay of hands

Good but suffer of strength / resolve split. Only 5 seconds. Its ok, but without benefit. A little bit long 4.5 seconds (Cast time + recovery) for 20 HP under 3 meters... hum.

Proposal : A little boost of heal, 30 HP ?

Zealous aura

A classic for paladin. good idea to bring all three together. +5 accuracy for all the team is a must-have. For me endurance is ok but not crazy on each party member. Charge is the lol aura : p Perhaps interess the game with a better bonus ?

Proposal : Charge, little boost of dexterity. (Like +2)

Glorious beacon

Ok I don't understand this concept. 2 zeal... You give 6 seconds of your life : p for 4 seconds of effect. 1.5m is a halo of little candle. Nobody will take that.

Proposal : range 3m Duration 5 seconds.

Liberating exhortation

A good tool for suspend hostile effect. Good deal.

Reinforcing exhortation

A good tool again, with deflection and resolve. Very fast.

Sworn rival / Brand ennemy

Sworn rival suffer of the comparison of Mark of the prey wich is better in all. But, overall, sworn rival stay solid and effective (refound cost of power source is anyway awsome). Brand ennemy (few burn damage overtime) is ok for defensive gameplay but ineficient with an agressive team. Personnaly I prefer widely sworn rival.

Proposal : Brand ennemy, Same Paladin's order in the team take partially advantage of the effect for 8 accuracy 10 % damage (so effects / 2 for them)

Shared flames / Eternal devotion

Shared flames can be better if all your crew is near the paladin (at least 2). If not eternal devotion is better. A solid option. Worth it 100 %, one or the other.

Greater lay of hand / Hand of light

If you use Lay of hand it is for HEAL. : p So Greater lay of hand is better in all the case. Resolve and concentration is good but... less important than +heal +armor +constitution. A non-choice...

Proposal : Hand of light : increase range for him, to distinguish it from its competitor

Exalted focus

First ability completely useless. 5 % hit to crit is a joke. No worth it at all. Nobody will never take this ability. During this time, with the Fighter...

Proposal : Focus, 4 accuracy (5 now). Exalted focus, 10 % hit to crit and 6 accuracy

Exalted charge

10 % hit to graze. Total cost : 2 abilities. For ? +25 % stride, defense of disengaging and this ? 20 % hit to graze seems better. 20 % of 1/4 of possibilities (Miss/Graze/hit/crit) is nothing...

Proposal : Charge, +2 dexterity +25 % Stride and 15 defense disengaging. Exalted charge, 20 % hit to graze and +4 dexterity, and the rest.

Exalted endurance

I will never take that BUT I admit that it may be the least worse. +3 HP all 3 seconds can be useful (or not : p)

Proposal : Endurance, +1 armor. Exalted endurance, +2 armor and 3 PV all 3 seconds.

Enduring beacon / Inspired beacon

When Inspired beacon is a "little too much" crazy, enduring beacon is OK but weird. can be very interresting with a little more radius. If not you target ennemies or allies ?

Proposal : More range is needed if enduring beacon must be used on allies and ennemies. Reduce inspired beacon at 30 % damage but 5 seconds rather than 4.

PASSIVE ABILITIES

Retribution

Perfect, logical, nothing to tell.

Deep faith

Same here, a big and convincing bonus.

Divine purpose

You learned the lesson from the weak defensive amounts of POE1. good work.

Inspired defenses

A little bit limited. One type of defense, only 3 seconds... It is ok but I think that can be improved.

Proposal : up to two types of defense ?

Inspiring triump

Perfect for me. 10 sec for a correct boost on all the team. Good enough.

Aegis of Loyalty

WTF... Only unarmed is pretty restrictive objectively speaking. I did not have the opportunity to test it but if it fits the description : bad.

Proposal : remove the obligation "unarmed".

Clear head / Mental fortress / Iron gutt

Perfect. A little resistance. Clear and effective.

Inspired path

I think it is a good deal BUT... I think at the end of the game, this will become less useful. Perhaps add a complement.

Proposal : add a bonus in resolve. Like +3. (Zeal = your determination etc.)

Righteous Soul

Immunity to poison. Always useful. Good deal.

------------------

you too can give your opinion on abilities and spells. I will do others classes, or maybe not, according to time and desire !^^

Peace !

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 1

Totally, this topic is only here for give your opinion on various evolutions until full game !^^ (necessarily partially subjective and incomplete)

Full balance is impossible until the release of the game.

And indeed, I think liberating exhortation should be for each allies target (include himself)

Edited by theBalthazar

Totally, this topic is only here for give your opinion on various evolutions until full game !^^ (necessarily partially subjective and incomplete)

Full balance is impossible until the release of the game.

And indeed, I think liberating exhortation should be for each allies target (include himself)

Ok :)

Then my opinion on these abilities are:

Lay on hands feels ok to me, since in PoE 2 healing is more important than in PoE 1, the heal amount is pretty good if u have high Res.

Zealot charge is ok because the speed of characters are nerfed in last patch.

Glorious beacon is currently a crap ability, I believe anyone who picked it once will never pick it again. My suggestion is making it a Blinding aura, give it like 10 second duration and blind enemy around every 3 second.

Aegis of Loyalty should be turned to PoE 1 style, but perhaps devs think the Aegis + Sacred Immolation combo is too OP? No idea here.

I like Inspired Path, for classes with limited power resource, +1 power is good.

Subbing thread.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

BARBARIAN

-> ACTIVE ABILITIES

Barbaric yell

Was bad in the first... Always bad. 3 seconds of recovery... Cone effect (not perfect to touch everybody) It is a shout and a bad ability...

Proposal : 0 recovery. It is a shout and not extremely powerful...

Frenzy

Classic and effective

Barbaric blow

Excellent ability EXCEPT the cost in rage. Totally absurd. Not as strong as you think. No reason to spend 2 pts.

Proposal : Cost of 1 rage point.

Wild sprint

Slightly too short for the cost. Will be exceeded by moult superiors inspirations. (level 1 of dexterity...)

Proposal : 8 seconds.

Savage defiance

Great and powerful. level 3 of constitution inspirations fort 15s. Very good.

Barbaric Roar / Barbaric shout

Two bad choice. +3 engagements during 30s not enough attractive (why not 10 engagements ? : p). For roar, knock down is bad since prone is just an animation time. All of this for 2 abilities points... 

Proposal : Barbaric roar, Stun for 4 seconds - Barbaric shout, +1 penetration +1 armor (against those affected by the scream) +2 ennemy engaged for 15 sec.

Blood frenzy / Spirit frenzy

Two bad choice again. I always take base frenzy and never this. Why ? Because blood frenzy = 4 raw damage. Spirit frenzy = -5 strength for ennemy. Not crazy for an ability point.

Proposal : Blood frenzy, raw damage on hit (4 raw damage is not crazy so...). Spirit frenzy, remove the deflection malus !^^ (Spirit = control) + stay with staggered

Barbaric smash / Crushing blow 

Not totally crazy, because you must kill the target with this hit precisely (if not : no effect and all is lost), but... sufficient.

-> PASSIVE ABILITIES

Weapon focus

Indispensable. Free accuracy.

Blooded

I'm not an absolute fan of this ability because under 50 % I heal. BUT, it do the job.

Fast runner

Nobody will take this ability. I Prophesy. Problem is : stride... defense against engagement.... not attractive Hum...

Proposal : Dexterity +3 when your health is >= 90 % (Idea of : Healthy = Good physical condition = run fast = bonus of dexterity. Under 90 %, the bonus disapear).

Thik skinned

Engagement +1 armor against physical damages. Ok but nothing more. At the limit of the useful.

Accurate carnage 

It is good except that now, carnage is much less powerful so... good but not essential.

Proposal : This ability transforms actual raw damage in old system of POE1. 66 % of actual damage for foes in range. Eventually nerf at 50 % if it is too much.

Wilder hunter

Exotic but useful.

One stands alone

Since there not a necessity of engagement (good change of POE1, memories : p), this ability is much more useful for C.C. team. Very good.

Bloodlust

Again, a great option. No comment.

Bloody slaugther

20 % hit to crit / 50 % crit damage. On the paper, this is crazy. But in reality it is just ok. When your target have 25 % of his life, its a dead man walk. So not incredibly useful, but ok for bosses.

Proposal : Perhaps 30 % hit to crit.

Unflinching

Incredible. Problem : Paladin have 3 abilities separated for 3 resistances. Here 1 ability for 3 resistances. So.... Nerf Barbarian or Buff the paladin ? My proposal will be orange BUT with an idea.

Proposal : Paladin AND Barbarian : 2 resistances in each ability. 3 is a bit too strong. For me, it is one or two. Perhaps two to mitigate.

Interrupting blows

Interrupt on crits. Good for me.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 2

FIGHTER

ACTIVE ABILITIES

Disciplined barrage

^^... One of the best ability of the game. Not necessarly this first form : p But we talk to that a bit later...^^ Here there is already sufficient bonuses. +5 perception and +50 graze to hit 15 sec. Deal.

Knock down

Perhaps one of the worse investment of the game. Knock down becomes a poop animation. I would not want to say wrong things, but it during like what ? One second ? barely ? The time of the animation ? Holy crap...

Proposal : At a minimum -if we stay with this system- start by doubling the time of fall and the time to get up. But I disagree the choice of kill prone effect like this !

Fighter Stances

Like Paladin, three possibilties. It is a good idea to create a package. If conquerer stance is my favorite, mobs stance is great. The last is Guardian... too light for me. +3 ennemies engaged... With the bonus of deflection of conquerer stance, you compensate partially the flanking malus. So Guardian stance is not sufficient. Two others are great.

Proposal : +1 armor against all engaged ennemies.

Into the fray

Basically I do not find this ability interesting. Dazed is not particulary crazy. In an other hand, upgrade is very good. But for me, this is a racket. All or nothing. We can imagine -3 penetration now, and -8 after (10 is too much for me...). Here, all the interrest is in the second version.

Proposal : -3 armor of ennemy for the base version and only 1 discipline power source in the first version. 2 points with upgrade.

Vigourous defense

Good job, good values. No problem.

Unbending

Good job again, except the COST of the thing. 3 point seems to be irrationnal. It is good indeed, but not 3 points.

Proposal : 2 Disciplines points only. With good resolve ~10 HP per 3 sec, good but not crazy. So 3 pts is too much.

Disciplined strike / Tactical barrage

One of theses two ability IS one of the best ability of the game. Instant cast ability and +50 % hit to crit. Sadly it is difficult for tactical barrage to resist against that. Nerf is possible for disciplined strike, except if we consider this is the trump card of the Fighter. And there is a problem : often x to y (hit, graze etc) have a little number (exalted endurance, you hear me ?) so 50 % hit to crit is VERY GOOD, but not insanely good. This is insane combined to others things. A nerf at 40 % is possible, but, the result will be the same overall. We must nerf at 30 % to begin to mitigate the result of the performance. And I think Obsidian buff Fighter because in the first Pillars, It was one of the worst character. Here, often on the top for many players. this is his place because he is 'limited' = specialized. Perfect for a melee which is not as variable as a wizard. It's subjective, but I adhere to his superiority. It is good for the meta-game. If not, we have a simple warrior, often mono-target... A small dominance in his niche is normal.

Proposal : While waiting the final game, No change for now.

Mule kick

Lol 3 disciplines... WTF. Joke of the year : p

Proposal : +10 accuracy +20 % damage, Full attack. 1 discipline point. More longer animation time (like base ability).

Lower their guard

Like said above. I think there a problem here. Nerf is needed. Not a big, but still a nerf. -10 armor guys. It is a bit huge...

Proposal : -8 armor.

Guardian stance+

Why all the bad spells and abilities have prone ? : p Disengaging and prone. Really bad when you think of the cost of 2 abilities points. Ok, there 2 others stances, but this is not a reason.

Proposal : +30 % damage on disengaging.

Mob stance+

Good. +5 % recovery each mob. Nothing to add.

Conquerer stance+

+10 accuracy. Best general stance of the 3. Mob stance is more specific. Perfect.

PASSIVE ABILITIES

Two handed style

Globally good, but I think 20 % is better now.

Proposal : +20 % damage with two handed weapons.

Weapon and shield style

Works for me.

Two weapons style

Excellent ability ! My favorite style actually. Works with much combo (monk, druid etc.)

One handed style

Don't work for me. I think an accuracy bonus is better. 20 % miss to graze... is VERY bad. Once you have a good accuracy (often the case with fighter) = end of this ability. +this is only 20 % So not crazy. +There are a lot of abilities witch can transform all misses to grazes. So, this style is a very VERY bad deal.

Proposal : 6 accuracy for one handed style. (in addition to the basic effect already effective !)

Confident aim

50 % Grazes to hit. Much better thanks to the number, and because hit and grazes are two categories not cancelled. (contrary to "misses")

Determination

+20 defense against 3 afflictions. Good.

Arms bearer

+1 slot. Not sufficient for me.

Proposal : Add recovery when the character change his weapon. Yes it encroaches on the black jacket and/or quick switch, but If not, I find it useless : p

Rapid recovery

7 Health per 3 secs. So actually Add +2 health. It is not enough.

Proposal : Base core, 5 health, like now. Rapide recovery, 8 health.

Hold the line

+1 ennemy engaged. I prophesy : Nobody will take that. Especially with the +2 and +3 ennemies engaged dragging everywhere.

Proposal : +1 ennemy engaged. +10 % on Deflection and Fortitude. If you have 50 deflection = 5 pts bonus. 100 = 10 pts bonus etc.

Body control / Fearless / Unstoppable

Same problem as before with Barbarian and Paladin. So we have to choose. One, two or three. But we cannot choose different rules for each classes. For equivalence. Multiclasses = choice...

Proposal : Smooth the proposals for all classes.

Quick switch

For me, It must be merged with arms bearer. It's not worth much.

Proposal : Merged with arms bearer.

Weapon specialization

+15 % damage. A sure valor. No problem.

Armored grace

Same here, A -20% recovery is always nice.

Superior deflection

I will quibble.

Proposal : +5 deflection (: p so +1 compared to now)

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 2

I personally think the best way to balance class abilities is to use the math model similar to here https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95571-a-simple-heuristic-to-compare-the-relative-value-of-ressources/ But of course the relative value in the link is an estimation and is not accurate. Using relative value to balance passive abilities is more convincing :)

Edited by dunehunter

BARBARIAN

-> ACTIVE ABILITIES

Barbaric yell

Was bad in the first... Always bad. 3 seconds of recovery... Cone effect (not perfect to touch everybody) It is a shout and a bad ability...

Druid bear form has a much better active ability, Terrifying Roar. Frightened in a radius of 5m around caster. If Barbaric yell can be a radius instead of cone I think it would be better.

It used to be in PoE. Don't know why they changed that and then made a circle for the bear.  :facepalm:

It's ok if they wanted to have consistency with all shouts (look at the invocations that are also animated like shouts) - but then the bear is an oversight.

I would have liked all shouts to stay circle-shaped. Cone is kind of lame for somebody who wants to be in the fray (like most barbs want to because of circle-shaped carnage).

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Also it’s not like the people behind you couldn’t hear the shout—sound propagates in all directions if there are no physical obstacles for the sound wave...

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

BARBARIAN

-> ACTIVE ABILITIES

Barbaric yell

AndreaColombo is absolutely correct, there's no reason to this yell being a cone effect. Well, also, try shouting at the top of your lungs immediately after you've just yelled your lungs out. Some recovery is needed 0.5-1s.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

MONK

> ACTIVE ABILITIES

Mortification of the soul

Cast time of 0.8 is sufficient. I think this is not strong enough to wait 2 seconds with recovery.

Proposal : 0 recovery.

Force of anguish

What ? What is this ? You push, with a primary attack... for 2 wounds ? Fortunately, the monk has other qualities. There is a racket here because the upgrade propose just a reducing cost of wound. But it is not interresting in the two cases...

Proposal : Primary attack. Add 20 % crush damage. (Push effect)

Swift strike

Wouaho. THE ability of the monk.

Dance of death

Satisfactory. I hesitate with the cost of mortification... but, it is "ok".

Proposal : Perfect like this

Blade turning

Ok for me.

Torment's reach

It is a good option but you can do a double kick (google : double roundhouse kick). This is 3 wounds, so a big amount. 1) So full attack is possible. 2) For me, it is strength and not resolve (aoe effect). wide debate but I'm only giving my opinion...^^

Proposal : Full attack + Strength is the reference statistic. Apart from that, the ability is ok.

Stunning blow

Good enough, just that the cost of mortification is too high. It is only one target and for 6 seconds...

Proposal : 1 mortification.

Clarity of agony

Good tool.

Duality of the mortal presence

Good concept. Modal, no spend.

Thunderous blows

20s. Level 2 of strength inspiration for only 2 wounds = crazy.

The long pain

Pretty effective. Perhaps 3 wounds rather than 4. Because if you have wounds, you are generally already in melee and 4 wounds is a bit huge.

Proposal : 3 wounds max.

Wave of force

If we consider my previous improvements (force of anguish)... 1 wound is now great with 20 % of crush damage.

Lightning strikes / Swift flurry

An indispensable of the monk. One or the other. With very high accuracy and hit to crit, swift flurry seems to be better. But Lightning strikes is also awsome... So...

Clarity of mind

Only level 1 of intelligence inspiration... for 20s. Perhaps not enough. Indeed, there is the case of barbarian (6 sec for level 1 dexterity inspiration) BUT this is only one point of ability, not two like here... (global cost) And it is instant ability. Here this is not the case.

Proposal : 1.5 secs of recovery (Against 3 now) Often you need of this ability quickly, then react quickly.

The dance continues

Excellent idea.

Raised torment

Stun all the ennemies behind the target = crazy.

Stunning surge

Refound if critical hit. Good.

> PASSIVE ABILITIES

Bull's will / Snake's reflex / Bear's fortitude

For me 15 is a better approach now. Because many abilities give 5 accuracy. On an other hand, we have 4 defenses. So, 5 x 4 = 20. 15 seems to be a good number. It is only my opinion.

Proposal : +15 will / +15 fortitude / +15 Reflex

Lesser wounds

Good deal

Graceful retreat

Without doubt the worst ability of the game ? +12 defense against Disengaging. No comment.

Proposal : +20 defense against disengaging +25 reflex for 8 secs after a disengaging attack.

Long stride

+25 % stride only. Hello graceful retreat We are in the same classroom ?

Proposal : +25 % stride -50 % of the malus of recovery when you move.

Soul mirror

50 % of ranged attack reflected... But only the misses. [Edit, Thanks to Boeroer]

Proposal : Misses and Grazes are reflected.

Routing pain

Since there no more DR substraction, this ability regains its nobility. We can grunt against resolve, but here it is more logical contrary to a physical kick.

Crucible of the suffering

Good concept, good numbers.

Enervating blows 

I think it is a good deal. Not crazy but good enough.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 1

BARBARIAN

-> ACTIVE ABILITIES

Barbaric yell

AndreaColombo is absolutely correct, there's no reason to this yell being a cone effect. Well, also, try shouting at the top of your lungs immediately after you've just yelled your lungs out. Some recovery is needed 0.5-1s.

I guess that depends on if Yell is a natural ability or a supernatural ability. I prefer a supernatural ability, but an argument can be made for a natural ability.

I agree that cone is an unnecessary nerf.

Joe

RANGER

> ACTIVE ABILITIES

Marked prey

I think there is a bug here. Originally, Marked prey is only +20 % damage. Now it is more interresting than sworn ennemy with more range and better upgrade + pet can enjoy it...

Proposal : Supress accuracy of marked prey or down to +5 accuracy +20 % damage (nerf).

Wounding shot

A incredible ability. Full attack. Overtime damages.

Take down

Was good in POE1. Now... Its not bad... but I will never take this ability... Prone is awful and it is the primary attack of the... pet.

Proposal : +10 accuracy +15 % damage for the maneuver.

Heal companion

Total of 6 seconds for 20 heal per 3s. (total 40) We enter here for the first time in the debate of the attack speed. I think it's a lot, for the effect in question, especially for 2 bonds... It is not totally bad, but...

Proposal : 2 seconds cast time / 3 seconds recovery. It is an emergency : so for 2 bonds, must be more quick than the majority of traditionnal attack speed.

Evasive roll

Good job.

Concussive shot

OMG. What is that ? Interrupting them ? Primary attack ? Only 10 accuracy bonus ? Balthazar, give us a better suggestion, now !

Proposal : Primary attack. 10 accuracy. Hit to crit 40 % (Attack on head...= risk). (spirit of this ability = ONE attack and you aim the head)

Bindings roots

Could have been nice. Sadly 3 bonds. WTF.

Proposal : 1 bond.

Master call's

White fang ! Come back ! *I have to rest 3 secs after screaming so much.*

Proposal : No recovery.

Marked for the hunt

If you concede the nerf of the base version. We have here a good concept. As long as we don't do barrel hunt : p

Hobbling shot / Accurate wooding shot

Choice between a poor effect for 6s (affliction level 1) and +20 of accuracy. I hesitate... : p

Proposal : Hobbling shot, add -10 in all defenses during 6s. Indirectly less than 20 accuracy BUT ! On 6 seconds !...

Takedown Combo / Brutal combo

I had a hard time seeing the true gain of 100% Damage taken in the log. First attack yes (there is an indication), but the next attack witch is increased ? So I don't understand... If it is 100 % for the next attack for all the team, it is crazy. Atm I think there is a bug ? Penetration is also very good. So it is ok for me.

Hardy companion

Hardy for 6s, with 6 seconds of cast time+recovery... No. Its not enough. All of this for 2 abilities points...

Proposal : Increase at 10s all the effects with this improved version, in addition to hardy inspiration.

Evasive fire

Seems to be pretty OP on the paper with high...attribute... ? Yes mister at the back of the class ? "Strength sir ?" surprise interrogation band of bad students, it is resolve : p

Proposal : For me, personnally, a shot is a shot. even a random hit. It is strength.

> ACTIVE ABILITIES

Faithful companion

2 resistances. A good compromise.

Merciless companion

30 % damage with affliction.

Vicous companion

15 % damage 2 penetration. Good deal.

Resilient companion

2 armor. Good improvement

Marksman

We have a condition. So if we have an aura with 5 accuracy, conquerer stance at 5 etc. All of this is without conditions... There must be a superior bonus.

Proposal : 6 accuracy. (Was 5. not crazy, but slighty superior)

Protective companion + Stalkers' Link

+1 engagement only, for the first (protective). Oh no. This is not sufficient. There is here a racket : you must pay twice for stalkers link (this is true... : p)

Proposal : Merged with stalkers link.

Shot on the run

Good idea. I will just add a little bonus otherwise I'm afraid no one will take it, despite that.

Proposal : if you are naked, or with a light armor : +3 of perception. (I run lightweight etc.)

Gunner

A bonus against reload time. Good.

Predator sense

Was 50 %^^ Big nerf since POE1 ? ^^  I allow myself to go up to 40% because pets not ultra-efficient in POE2 beta...

Proposal : 40 % damages for the pet when there is damage overtime.

Defensive bond

Often there was a good choices from Obsidian on the subject of defenses.. Notably start at 15-20 otherwise the bonus is not felt. Here only 10... It is not sufficient.

Proposal : 15 against area of effect attacks. (It is only one type of attack = area of effect. Paladin have 20 against afflictions, I'm not too high...)

Strengthened bond

Upgrade of defensive Bond. 15 only (absolute gain : +5...). So I propose a modification.

Proposal : 20 against area of effect attacks + Resistance to resolve afflictions, under 4 meters for both. (Mental side of the connection between both...)

Driving flight

Excellent ability.

Edited by theBalthazar

They also changed it because you would be gimping yourself if you took a two hander. Full Attack was too powerful in PoE in my opinion. Also because the cone doesn't care at all about the damage of the weapon. So a slow heavy hitter was the worst choice while two fast hitting weapons were perfect.

I like this change - and I'm a big fan of the PoE monk.

Too bad Turning Wheel is not there anymore. :(

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

ROGUE

-> ACTIVE ABILITIES

Escape

Good deal for 1 guile.

Crippling strike

One guile for +20 penetration [if it is not a bug...]. So a certitude to do +30 % of damage. Good deal ! Main attack of Rogue. Tips : Not crazy at the end of the end. Because there is no others effects, and if you crit and gain +50 % penetration and you would have naturally had the bonus of x1.3 = no real effect of crippling strike...

Smoke veil

Invisible for 2 guile and short cast time. Deal.

Blinding strike

10 accuracy and blinded only. No damage boost... Problem here, the cost is 2 guile. Too high for the effect. So there is two ways : 1) Stay like this but down to 1 the cost of guile. 2) Stay at 2 guile but increase the damage of 25 % (like POE1). Ideally, crippling strike has already the role of "little attack with 1 guile". So...

Proposal : Stay with 2 guile. +25 % damage.

Finishing blow

Good but not at 3 guile. No.

Proposal : 2 guile. I notice with the rogue, there is a lot of 2 / 3 guile... But not necessarily justified...

Strike the bell

3 guile WTF ? 2 penetration and a little effect... I missed something in this ability ...? Again, a great incomprehension in terms of guile.

Proposal : 1 guile, no more... For me, when we speaks about hit in the head, I add also 30 % hit to crit. (less than concussive shot of Ranger, because here this is a full attack and there is additionnal effect)

Withering strike

3 guile ? Yes again...^^ For 10 accuracy and a "ok effect" only...

Proposal : 2 guile and +25 % damage. (+10 accuracy and the effect obviously)

Arterial strike / Debilitating strike

Arterial strike is far better if it is not a bug. The DPS overtime is insane. [EDIT Thanks to Boeroer] only works when there is movement. Debilitating strike is far less interresting. Not worth it.

Proposal : Debilitating strike, Perception affliction+1 (level 2) Dexterity affliction+1 (level 2). So MORE than Hobbled and distracted... Arterial strike, effect concern move (like now) AND the effect works if the victim suffers of 2 afflictions (if not this is too restrictive).

Gouging Strike / Confounding Blind

During this time, with brand ennemy, we have same effect in better... Confounding blind is very good. The increment of malus 3 by 3 is awsome. But gouging strike must be boosted.

Proposal : Gouging strike, 5 raw damage per 3s. We are not the paladin here, but a rogue...

Shadowing beyond / Shadow step

Lol, the running gag. So 3 guile... ?^^... No I refuse. Invisible is ok but 3 guile is too much. Paralysis is great indeed. But one target and only 6 secs... This is not possible...

Proposal : Down to 2 guile. (Already Enough... I'm not far to down to 1...)

Smoke cloud

Add Distracted and cancel the first effect of the ability !? What ? Perhaps a bug... but for now. Not worth it. 2 ability points for that, and 2 guile. No...

Proposal : Invisible + Intargetable for 6 sec + A smoke circle of 4.0m (distracted) AND Same cast time than the base version (you don't pay for worse : p)

Devastating blow / Eliminating blow

Except for the initial cost of guile (same problem than base ability), this seems to be ok for the differents effects. +50 % damage and frightened effect seems to be good.

Break the bell / Ring the bell / Pierce the bell

I think there is a lot of bug for this 3. Pierce the bell doesn't work for me except the two initial penetration points (+2). So, I do not say anything for now, but it does not seem to be at level...

Proposal : ?

-> PASSIVE ABILITIES

Defensive roll

Good little tool. I buy it.

Backstab

Base of the base with a rogue.

Snake's reflex

Same debate than previously. I think 15 is a better value.

Proposal : +15 reflex.

Dirty fighting

Not so strong, when you know the true percentage (10% of 1/2 until 1/4). And if we must replace this in view of all of classes... (Fighter etc.)

Proposal : +20 hit to crit.

Riposte

Base of a rogue again.

Deep pocket

I never been a big fan of this. I think and prophesy : nobody will take that. So a boost is required.

Proposal : +2 slots. +3 constitution (you can keep more stuff : p It is difficult to found a logical additionnal bonus...)

Persistant distraction

Excellent. But you kill all abilities above like smoke cloud etc.

Adept evasion

100 % graze to miss. Incredible.

Deep wounds

Free +raw damages. I buy it.

Side note :  it is not a criticism, since it is a beta, but the rogue gives the impression of being really unbalanced at the moment (The worst until now). Especially for all the power source cost (Guile)

Edited by theBalthazar

If torment reach is a full attack like it is in PoE 1, a Monk can just dump Dex and spam full attack like they do in PoE1. I think that’s the reason devs nerf it to primary attack. Even tho the updated version is really powerful. 

Yes but you must have 3 wounds ? You must not wait for the enemy touch the monk ?

(In POE1 I wasn't a big fan of monk, so I do not know any of his secrets)

The real bummer about Torment's Reach is that it uses RES for damage. Why on earth would it use RES? It's a physical attack; you literally stomp your enemy's face with your boot using a Chuck Norris-style roundhouse kick. I still advocate a return to MIG but if the current STR/RES split is kept, Torment's Reach should use STR.