Look, for the traps you only need mech 1, you will be able to open a serpentine path trough the gliphs. They need half mech 1 and half mech 3 for disable, but even with mech 1 you can make trough

Edit: and soloing you will need high mech anyway ( i go always for at lest 8, for be able to reach 11 with gloves and duengon delver). 11 let you find all the durgan ingots and see and disable 99% traps of the game

Edited by Dr <3

Yeah I should have mentioned some of them you can disable with Mech 1 only, but the big experience pay-out traps are the Mech 3 ones.

I always find I'm hard pressed not to take a Colonist background from a power-gaming perspective on solo, as I'm nearly always going to want Survival to be my highest skill stat (and then stick points in Mechanics for my first few levels). As such, a fair few of my builds won't have any Mechanics at all in Cilant Lîs, as they don't get any from their class.

By the way: the only reasons for me to slaughter the caravan is when I play a Bleak Walker (and maybe Skaen Priest - can't recall if you also get an aggressive reputation point or only cruel) as MC. Just because the reputation gain is quite impressive so early in the game and it has a direct impact on your character (mechanically). And of course it fits so well with the lore/background of those two classes/subclasses.

Unfortunately I found that with a Bleak Walker or Priest it's espially hard for me to achieve this. Mainly because I have a certain build in mind (and I don't like repeccing too much) that doesn't fit too well with the best strategy to successfully slaughter the caravan (like using reach weapons and stuff).

And with the classes I can do it fairly easily (monk and wizard and so on) I don't feel the need of doing this in the first place. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Playing on solo I normally want to be picking up Gift from the Machine, and I kill all the companions too for their gear (which you may as well seeing as you're running solo). As such killing everyone at the campsite does make some sense for such an RP, as if they were going to opportunistically kill companions for their gear they would probably try the same at the campsite if they believed they were strong enough and had already surveyed the area for a strategic point of attack.

That said, even when playing a cruel character some would play it a bit more cautious than to slaughter a whole campsite. I guess it'll do it on a case by case basis - is the character going to completely unhinged and malevolent all the time, or are they going to only be cruel when they feel they can get away with it (e.g. telling Aufra she's pathetic) but otherwise present a false front to everyone else?

Besides, I'd say killing the campsite is extremely tricky with some classes. I tried with my current Rogue (high Con, Mig, Dex, middling Per) and I just couldn't do it - especially as I didn't have the option for a Second Wind, so in the end I gave up. Plenty of other opportunities to be cruel to people.

You guys know you can go back in for the traps and xp after you leveled up outside, right?

Also yeah, chanter and 5x phantom's per exploit makes shortest work of caravan, cipher + antipathetic is almost as fast.

Monk + Fighter shouldn't really have a problem, I bet if the fighter saves his full attacks for Odema he will "oneshot" him with those.

• Like 1

You guys know you can go back in for the traps and xp after you leveled up outside, right?

No I never knew that, there's no other area that let you explore a foreground entrance so that comes as a complete surprise (and AFAIK, it can't be explored when you leave it for the first time; I'm pretty sure personally I have tried - leading you to believe that would be the standard for the rest of the game).

I'll always thank you personally for the tip, but it's hard not to feel a little (more than a little as a solo gameplayer) ticked off for Obsidian incorporating what I would say is ridiculously obtuse gameplay. I'll sit here chewing on my sour grapes, at experience lost on countless playthroughs.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

No I never knew that, there's no other area that let you explore a foreground entrance so that comes as a complete surprise (and AFAIK, it can't be explored when you leave it for the first time; I'm pretty sure personally I have tried - leading you to believe that would be the standard for the rest of the game).

I'll always thank you personally for the tip, but it's hard not to feel a little (more than a little as a solo gameplayer) ticked off for Obsidian incorporating what I would say is ridiculously obtuse gameplay. I'll sit here chewing on my sour grapes, at experience lost on countless playthroughs.

I feel ya, the only reason I know this is because of Wodjee's Ultimate Run, I've done countless chars before that who didn't get the xp.

• Like 2

I did it with a wizard (Concelhaut's Staff) and a monk (Torment's Reach). With the rest of the classes I failed so often that I didn't try it further. I really wanted to do it with a Bleak Walker but he wasn't able to really hurt Odema... so I quit. :)

A pike or quarterstaff is def. the way to go. Once you have one of those weaklings in front of you you just keep hitting the enemy behind that one while he body-blocks for you. Obviously doesn't work with a barb. ;)

I'm assuming your wizard had a ton of CON?  Even the guards kill my wizard with 8 CON.

This was discussed last year/two years ago in one of the threads. It’s what inspired me to try it.

And it’s what inspired me to try it again, class-marathon Style, last night. Just choose a Background with Mechanics to make sure you get both potions.

Bleak Walker I felt was easy with Watbow and Pike.

Fighter is too easy as he ends up with a ton of heal sources.

Monk is easy as well.

Barb is tougher than I thought as he gets chewed on really fast. Was able to win thru but barely. I ended up going Aumaua for the extra weapon slot, using two battle/sword dual and only strategically used pike or bow to avoid letting a tougher contender face me. Made me feel like Tyson in his prime as was ducking larger/stronger opponents.

Rogue I couldn’t do. He just is too soft, even brigantine and a Shield.

Chanter is a breeze as stated above.

Cipher is also easy as stated above.

Wizard is tough but doable. Brigadine, Shield , Chillfog and Flame spell, Slicken and blast. Max Might and Int.

Priest..... ugh. Don’t see the path to master slaughterer. Anyone else accomplish this feat with a Priest?

Ranger with a Bear. Super Easy. Pike and Warbow. 18 in Str, Dex and Per.

Stag Druid. Took a few tries but once Odema was killed at range I healed and then went Stag on the rest of the bunch. Went with 16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Per. Hide Armor. Warbow, Quaterstaff. Unleashed the lightning then Warbow then Stag form.

This was PotD. Any other difficulty should be a breeze.

Edited by Blades of Vanatar
  • Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Hm, I haven't tried this with priest, it doesn't really sound easy but should be doable.

I've never gotten a solo priest further than Act 2 cuz I kinda hate priests, but they do have an op arsenal of spells once they get a couple of levels, but level 1 is a totally different story they might actually be worse than rogues.

I think the RP on a Bleakwalker for this kind of stinks hehehe.  They are **** mercs who will not call of an attack after being payed but not wanton slaughterers of things for absolutely no reason.  *shrug* Just my opinion.  Like they are military guys, they have martial discipline, turning on the group that is helping them just seems off.

That being said great tactics for doing this and you do get a Cruel point :p

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

I think the RP on a Bleakwalker for this kind of stinks hehehe.  They are **** mercs who will not call of an attack after being payed but not wanton slaughterers of things for absolutely no reason.  *shrug* Just my opinion.  Like they are military guys, they have martial discipline, turning on the group that is helping them just seems off.

Not necessarily. They rely in large part on their reputation for cruelty and mercilessness. Whilst many Bleak Walkers wouldn't, I could imagine some seeing slaughtering the caravan as a means of furthering this reputation, particularly if they are new to the area. A bit of a stretch perhaps but not completely out of character.

• Like 2

I don't think Bleak Walkers are hired all that often, they're very much a last resort.

I'm also not sure they care all that much: they're not mercenaries in the traditional sense, rather they are true believers in the idea that the best way to end conflict quickly is with brutality. You might even view then as bizarre pacifists since if they are successful their mere existence should dissuade wars.

That fits with their lore. Once they are hired they can't be called off, even by their employer. It's part of their nature that means the me suggestion of their use causes conflicts to end.

Agreed they likely do not get hired much.  That being said I do not think anyone would reliably count on them when called on if they just killed people for no reason at a whim.  I know the caravan at the start of the game didnt hire you (at least it does not say so) and obviously you can do what you want and RP can be subjective but it just seems out of character.  Bleak Walkers should have military discipline and wanton slaughter of people just because seems out of character to me.  But hey that is my interpretation :)

Have gun will travel.

They favor Agressive and Cruel reputations. Slaughter of weaklings seems right up their alley to me.

Plus they are the closest thing by to a Dark Knight Killer the game has to offer, so they seem the best choice to me. Think Gregor Clegane.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

They favor Agressive and Cruel reputations. Slaughter of weaklings seems right up their alley to me.

Plus they are the closest thing by to a Dark Knight Killer the game has to offer, so they seem the best choice to me. Think Gregor Clegane.

While Klegane did rape a woman (likely multiple), murder a baby and kill one of his own men for snoring he would't willingly slaughter an entire group of allies for no apparent reason.  He would not of become one of the most feared Knights in all of westeros because well he wouldnt of lived very long that way.  He cant kill 50 of his own men by himself after they decide to turn on him because they fear that he will turn on them any second.  He successfully won many battles by staying true to his men.  He has some measure of retraint and is Mission oriented.  That is what makes him a successful and feared soldier/Knight/Warrior.

I hate to use D and D stuff but its like a Death Knight.  They are evil beings but still are honorable.  Thats how I would play a Bleak Walker but hey thats me.  There is nothing stopping you with playing how you want.  I think thats part of my issue with the diologue choices for Cruel.  Its just Cruel for no reason.  No purpose.  

Again its everyone's own interpretation but the entire murder for no reason thing makes no sense to me.

Have gun will travel.

Agreed they likely do not get hired much.  That being said I do not think anyone would reliably count on them when called on if they just killed people for no reason at a whim.  I know the caravan at the start of the game didnt hire you (at least it does not say so) and obviously you can do what you want and RP can be subjective but it just seems out of character.  Bleak Walkers should have military discipline and wanton slaughter of people just because seems out of character to me.  But hey that is my interpretation :)

I don't disagree, and I personally wouldn't do it, but perhaps a particularly psychopathic* Bleak Walker might justify it in his mind.

As a side note given that your Bleak Walker is rarely hired to do anything in Pillars, there really isn't any reason for them to be Aggressive or Cruel.

*I know Bleak Walkers aren't, generally, psychopaths, but some are and I'd imagine it's the order that appeals to psychopaths.

• Like 1

I see it as opportunistic to be honest, your character sees a weak group and wants to take their stuff. Bleak Walkers can be equally as greedy as any other class, it's befitting of any character who would kill others and rob their things to better survive.

• Like 2