The challenge is simple - kill the starting encampment on PotD (Expert is optional). Everyone turns on you as soon as you attack someone, so it's inherently a solo challenge.

Has anyone ever managed to do this? I'm trying currently, and extremely tough - Odema is a bit of a badass and hard to kill off quickly. I'm trying it with a Barb (was thinking of taking another pass at my unarmed build alongside the Wizard build I've got going on) and so far I'm getting creamed.

There's nice corner positioning round the back of NW caravan, and you can buy a Brigandine from Heodan to give you some DR. Plus you can strip Calisca and rob her weapons so she's not too much of a problem. Even so, Odema hits hard and has Constant Recovery.

Let me know if any of you manage it!

Did this a long time ago with a Coastal Aumaua Bleak Walker wielding a pike and wearing Brigadine. You can tuck yourself in next to the horses. One at a time. Let a weakling caravan person stand in front of you and attack the second row. Save Flames of Devotiin for Odema.

Edited by Blades of Vanatar
  • Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Did this a long time ago with a Coastal Aumaua Bleak Walker wielding a pike and wearing Brigadine. You can tuck yourself in next to the horses. One at a time. Let a weakling caravan person stand in front of you and attack the second row. Save Flames of Devotiin for Odema.

Seems like a solid strategy, I did try the pike while positioning Calisca so she would come in front of Odema and while doing minimal damage so I could hope to pick him off - but with Carnage that approach isn't so easy. Plus I think my spread was practically the worst possible for this (low Per, Res and Con, as Novice's Suffering gives high Accuracy anyway for unarmed purposes so it's not entirely stupid to dump some Per).

I'd imagine a Wizard with Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff would also do well with your strategy, given it's Exceptional and has reach.

Edited by Jojobobo

I did it with a wizard (Concelhaut's Staff) and a monk (Torment's Reach). With the rest of the classes I failed so often that I didn't try it further. I really wanted to do it with a Bleak Walker but he wasn't able to really hurt Odema... so I quit. :)

A pike or quarterstaff is def. the way to go. Once you have one of those weaklings in front of you you just keep hitting the enemy behind that one while he body-blocks for you. Obviously doesn't work with a barb. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

(POTD) Have done as Cipher using antipathic field w/ bow and Ranger w/ bow and bear companion. Ranger had to bottleneck on bridge. Cipher was harder, took a lot of luck. You can start fight by having Calisca using knockdown on Odema, one of his guards, or Heodan - which makes her leave the party but they keep attacking her.

Edited by MasterCipher

I managed it with the Barb, so I think it can be managed with any build/class more or less, so long as you're not a massive weakling. What you will need:

1 Rapier or other +Accuracy weapon, purchased from Heodan

1 War bow, purchased from Heodan

1 Brigandine, purchased from Heodan

2 Potions of Minor Endurance in a quick slot, one found at the encampment, one purchased from Heodan

1 Beer, found in the tents over the bridge

As with all epic fights in Pillars - when your very life hangs in the balance - you will need pre-buffing, so make sure to take your beer before you slap on your brigandine. Attack someone, then as everyone has mentioned run south and position yourself between the horses and the fence. Using the war bow pick off the two caravan guards with shields and Heodan, followed by Calisca and Odema (leaving them until last so their Constant Recovery times out), healing when necessary. Switch to the one-handed rapier, and finish everyone else in quick order. With non-Barb builds a quarterstaff should work just as well instead of the war bow.

I needed both potions and my Second Wind from Athletics 2 to survive, but this character is quite frail and inaccurate (Resolve 3, Con 11, Perception 7) so I doubt other classes would need all that. I also made sure to get the Springberry as there's experience awarded for that (though I think they actually deduct it from the experience from killing everyone anyway, so maybe you needn't bother). I guess it's always worthwhile to sell it to with Heodan for more cash-money, like I do all ingredients in the area.

Edited by Jojobobo

Never tried but I would bet a Wizard with Chillfog or a Cipher would have an easy time doing it. Or possibly a Stag Drud.

A high Con/Perception/Resolve Fighter with a Battle Axe and Shield s would handle it as well.

What I would like to see is someone do it with a Rogue! That would be impressive.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

I re-rolled my Barbarian (I'm still strict on my no re-spec rule when I want to tweak a build) and tried again. Contrary to what I said above, Calisca's Scale Armor + Beer means that for the most part you get min rolls on people's unarmed attacks (except for high attack rolls on crits, which is very rare) - so it's good enough and saves you buying the Brigandine.

This time I went for maximal experience by lockpicking the encampment chest (using the two found lockpicks and one bought from Heodan seeing as I had zero Mechanics), and I made sure to get the Springberry with Calisca (it does provide additional experience compared to just straight killing everyone). The experience total after the slaughter is as follows:

XPTotal.png

An in-joke from the devs, or BEELZEBUB HIMSELF SPEAKING TO US THROUGH THE GAME?!?!?!

You decide!

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 3

I remembered I did it with a solo pale elf Darcozzi Paladin, but it was looooooonnnng time ago. Basically just use Flame shield and pike.

Block all enemy on bridge. The key is don’t attack the enemy in front of you. But use pike to kill the toughest enemy behind first. Same trick to kill the wolves on the 3rd map...

Edited by dunehunter

Actually is quite easy to do it with almost all classes ( i start all my solo run with a joyous slaugter).

This is the Dr. <3 80% success guide:

General steps are:

- pick both healing potions from the locked chests

- buy a brigantine and a pike or staff and a bow from the merchant

- recover the beer and drink it

- sell all calisca stuff, so she is bare handed

- equip the gaun ring ( not necessary but useful)

- DO NOT DUMP CONST

Put yourself slight south west relatively from heodan, there is a tree with 2 little roads that make a corner of 90°. You have to stay halfway in the vertical alley. Drink your beer.

Send calisca to punch Heodan with prone attack. Heodan will be proned ( near always), calisca will be attacked by some commoners, all other guy will try to reach you. If you found the right spot, ONLY 1 OF THEM will actually attack you. He will be your personal human shield, while he attack you with the lowest dmg possible, you can slowly poke to death everyone else. If they stop aggroing you, just move slightly or swich to bow to attack a random guy. Try to Leave the caravan guards at the end, so the effect of veteran recovery will run out.use healings if needed. Nobody is smart enough to reach you from the other alley, they deserve to die.

With some class, es wizard ( chill fog), chiper ( anthipatetic field) things are much faster. Imho barbarian in actually one of the most difficult to pull out, since your aoe dmg will always kill the precious meat shield.

Kind of enjoying the RP aspect of all this.

‘Hey there you look sick. Why don’t we camp here and you get some berries to make yourself feel better.’

‘**** you!’ Chugs beer. Murders everyone.

Fun log in quest journal too.

I wonder of this: you can go to Calisca's sister and tell her how you kill caravan. You can kill elf-miller, then go to Sweynur and...well he regret what you done, but he will agree to steel all grain in the night.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2

Small addition: if you're cipher, take a bow, shoot and Charm all that mess.

The problem with charm is that you actually heal the target if spell is successful. Don't know why. Moreover odema have also high defences, so is quite hard to charm and hope that he dies. Antipathetic field is much faster and safer, you just have to target someone behind Odema.

‘Hey there you look sick. Why don’t we camp here and you get some berries to make yourself feel better.’

I wonder of this: you can go to Calisca's sister and tell her how you kill caravan. You can kill elf-miller, then go to Sweynur and...well he regret what you done, but he will agree to steel all grain in the night.

Yeah I just met with Aufra and told her something along the lines of, "Your sister and everyone in the caravan are dead. I made sure of that."

She instantly attacks you and you obviously can't do A Mother's Plea, but roleplaying man! It's all about the roleplaying!

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 2

Small addition: if you're cipher, take a bow, shoot and Charm all that mess.

The problem with charm is that you actually heal the target if spell is successful. Don't know why. Moreover odema have also high defences, so is quite hard to charm and hope that he dies. Antipathetic field is much faster and safer, you just have to target someone behind Odema.

You must Charm not Odema, of course, but other weakest enemies.

Yeah I just met with Aufra and told her something along the lines of, "Your sister and everyone in the caravan are dead. I made sure of that."

She instantly attacks you and you obviously can't do A Mother's Plea, but roleplaying man! It's all about the roleplaying!

It's perfect example to all people who complaints to lack RP in this game.

• Like 1

Charming always heals the target a bit. I guess this was introduced to make it less OP. It's really annoying if you meet dragons (and don't know this).

Yes. Becose charmed target got penalty -25 to all defences and you can impunity kick their ass.

I re-rolled my Barbarian (I'm still strict on my no re-spec rule when I want to tweak a build) and tried again. Contrary to what I said above, Calisca's Scale Armor + Beer means that for the most part you get min rolls on people's unarmed attacks (except for high attack rolls on crits, which is very rare) - so it's good enough and saves you buying the Brigandine.

This time I went for maximal experience by lockpicking the encampment chest (using the two found lockpicks and one bought from Heodan seeing as I had zero Mechanics), and I made sure to get the Springberry with Calisca (it does provide additional experience compared to just straight killing everyone). The experience total after the slaughter is as follows:

XPTotal.png

An in-joke from the devs, or BEELZEBUB HIMSELF SPEAKING TO US THROUGH THE GAME?!?!?!

You decide!

I just did this "challenge" with a chanter, but of course with Reny Daret's ghost one-shotting everyone it wasn't hard whatsoever.  Out of curiosity, anyone know how this compares to the exp you would have gained at this point by doing this the normal way?

Edited by Dreamsickle

XPTotal.png

You decide!

I just did this "challenge" with a chanter, but of course with Reny Daret's ghost one-shotting everyone it wasn't hard whatsoever.  Out of curiosity, anyone know how this compares to the exp you would have gained at this point by doing this the normal way?

I think it's slightly less, but not by much (you still level up after Cilant Lîs). The main disadvantage is you can't have Heodan tag along with you to disarm all the traps in Cilant Lîs, if you are able to disarm them yourself (Mechanics 3, no easy feat), it would probably be worth slightly more than normal.