Chanter Subclasses Discussion

Thanks

So being paralysed stops you from chanting?

I think I read about a trick in PoE1 that you cast a spell that takes one of your char out of combat but he continues to damage them passively. Not sure if it was withdraw+dragon trashed or something else. I did not do it, I just read about it a long time ago.

There was something similar in BG2 (Once again, I only read about it, I did not do it myself). There was a druid spell that makes you look liky a nymph and every enemy who sees you must make a saving throw or be charmed, but it works also when you are invisible.

Thanks

So being paralysed stops you from chanting?

I think I read about a trick in PoE1 that you cast a spell that takes one of your char out of combat but he continues to damage them passively. Not sure if it was withdraw+dragon trashed or something else. I did not do it, I just read about it a long time ago.

There was something similar in BG2 (Once again, I only read about it, I did not do it myself). There was a druid spell that makes you look liky a nymph and every enemy who sees you must make a saving throw or be charmed, but it works also when you are invisible.

Paralyzed/Petrified stops chanting in PoE, yes. Prone does not. You can sit on your bottom and still chant. Makes all sense I think. Stun does normally stop chanting as well, but the special stun of Withdraw doesn't. That's the reason why Withdraw + Dragon Thrashed is pretty OP.

I didn't test if this got changed in Deadfire. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The concept is what puts me off from using them as main character - Chanter is an obvious support class, nobody wants to be a supporter in his/hers own story ;)

I actually love to play a support character as my main :p

I'm definitely looking at Chanter as a potential pick to be my leading character once the game hits.

As for whether I'll go single or multi class, it'll depend on what the high level abilities look like on release. Multi-classing is definitely awesome in the beta but we still have to see how they balance it in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Dragon Thrashed is actually good. It's implemented as a DoT, with duration affected by intellect (base duration is 6 seconds), that stacks with itself. So a Troubadour with +50% effect duration from intellect using Brisk Recitation should be able to stack 3 instances for 24 damage per 3 seconds... and that's not considering bonus duration from crits.

After further testing, Brisk Recitation limits the Dragon Thrashed duration to 3 seconds... so actually not that great. The linger does increase duration of the DoT and is affected by intellect. The UI is giving three different sets of durations at the same time though.... 

Edited by SaruNi

It looks like the linger is affected by intellect, but the base duration is not. The linger increases the DoT duration. Brisk Recitation cuts the DoT duration in half as well as removing linger, but doesn't affect DoT's that have already been applied. With Brisk Recitation the DoT duration seems to still be affected by graze/hit/crit, though the UI is inconsistent (combat log shows duration as affected, but when you scroll over it, the pop up window with attack roll information shows it not being affected... enemy status information seems shows it being affected though, and seems to match up with DoT ticks).... 

At 35 int, troubadour linger is 8.7 seconds. With x1.25% duration from crit applying to 14.7 second duration that comes in at 17.875, just under the 18 seconds that would be needed to continually stack 3 Dragon Thrasheds. However, any items that add additional duration should put you over the threshold....

But at iirc 22 int you can get a 6.1 second linger which should crit for a 15.125 second duration, and since it ticks every 3 seconds (starting at 0) you should be able to continually stack two and get the first two ticks of a third for an average of about 3.6 damage / second after the first 12 seconds, before factoring in Might (or other possible multipliers, like Barbarian blooded perhaps?). 

Well, will have to test it more....

Her Courage Thick as Steel has a very confusing description now---the tooltip body says it has a fixed base duration of 10 seconds, while the other chants say they have base duration of 6 seconds. But then it also has linger... and the combat log doesn't indicate its duration, just when it absorbs damage or expires.

The descriptions for some chants are really confusing, especially those who give you buffs.

It says 6 seconds phrase + x seconds linger and it creates a buff for 10 seconds.

Assuming you sing the same chant all the time:

Do you get the buff every 6 seconds and it lasts for 10 seconds ( linger has no effect at all )

Do you get the buff every 3 seconds during your phrase and linger time ?

something different?

Before the last patch I decided that my main char should be a kind wayfarer/beckoner

Now beckoners have still twice as many summons, they cost less phrases but they still have less health. But now they also have reduced duration. I think 1/3 less than normal chanters, like 12sec -> 8sec.

Is it still viable when you cannot have summons all the time?

The easiest summon costs 2 phrases ( = 12 sec chanting ). On top of the 12 sec comes the recovery after the initial cast and the casting time of the following cast.

Hiya Chanter experts, was hoping you could chime in on this. So, my Herald (Chanter/Paladin) just soloed the titan after my party died because the chant "Come, Come Soft Winds of Death" would constantly heal him to full Health. This can't possibly be intended, right?

P6uAUcC.jpg

Edited by Matched

It's supposed to give you +2 health (base) per appliance as long as you hit with it - with the newest beta version 4.

The +3 entries in the log seem to fit, but the initial +15 is weird. Maybe bug.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

It's supposed to give you +2 health (base) per appliance as long as you hit with it - with the newest beta version 4.

So a berserk (or simply confused) chanter surrounded by summoned skeletons should get at least +2 / skeleton hit?

• Like 1

So a berserk (or simply confused) chanter surrounded by summoned skeletons should get at least +2 / skeleton hit?

This sounds fun!

Hehe, don't know. But you can trigger the on-kill upgrades of Berserker's Barbaric Blow with your own skeletons - so probably yes. :)

I was really speculating for a Berserker who skyrockets his number of Heart-of-Fury hits with a Beckoner's skeletons.  :)

Tested and sadly this doesn't work, too bad :p