General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

Well this ****ing sucks, Bourdain was a cool guy and I learned a lot of **** from his shows.

Suicide prevention on Reddit seems out of place. I feel like killing myself every time I browse that site. :p

Reddit makes me want to kill others, namely redditors.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I've been so wrapped up in my own drama that I missed TB passing.  Been listening to him for years in a love/hate kind of way.  I always respected his fanatical dedication to quality PC ports.

Gonna go watch the memorial podcast.  RIP.

• 2 weeks later...

He's a real piece of **** but that doesn't mean he deserved to die. The kid that shot him is basically boasting about it all and dropping huge hints all over social media about it. What a ****ing dumb-ass.

Charles Krauthammer passed away. He was just 68. I heard he'd been fighting cancer. Sad news. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

She hit the life expectancy for a gorilla. I'm curious if any other gorillas masterd ASL. She is the only one I've ever read about. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Why not teach all captive gorillas how to sign?

Because that's how the uprising starts.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I read an article last night from Slate with a lot of linked references. Her mastery of sign language and what it revealed about the inner workings of her mind is not all the Gorilla Research team has represented it to be. She has some ability to use ASL, that is beyond question. But from what I have been reading her communications have all been centered on immediate needs or things the the sees or wants. She seemed either incapable or disinterested in commentary. And her ability to grasp abstractions has been seriously overstated.

The summary is she is a gorilla, not a human. The ability to communicate on some level did not change how her brain worked. There was a story she "mourned" when told of Robin Williams death. She had not seen him on almost 20 years. Robin Williams did not even exist to her. Her sadness was a reflection of what she observed in the people around her who she does observe and care about.

There is a danger in observing animals, and I do this with my own critters. Ascribing human thoughts and motivations to non-humans.

There was a story in the article of a bonobo that could "talk" using pictographs. There is not doubt he could ask for certain food items because he did it spontaneously. But he was unable to carry on a more advanced "conversation" with a trainer he didn't know which means he was likely taking ques from observing trainers he knew.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I read an article last night from Slate with a lot of linked references. Her mastery of sign language and what it revealed about the inner workings of her mind is not all the Gorilla Research team has represented it to be. She has some ability to use ASL, that is beyond question. But from what I have been reading her communications have all been centered on immediate needs or things the the sees or wants. She seemed either incapable or disinterested in commentary. And her ability to grasp abstractions has been seriously overstated.

The summary is she is a gorilla, not a human. The ability to communicate on some level did not change how her brain worked. There was a story she "mourned" when told of Robin Williams death. She had not seen him on almost 20 years. Robin Williams did not even exist to her. Her sadness was a reflection of what she observed in the people around her who she does observe and care about.

There is a danger in observing animals, and I do this with my own critters. Ascribing human thoughts and motivations to non-humans.

There was a story in the article of a bonobo that could "talk" using pictographs. There is not doubt he could ask for certain food items because he did it spontaneously. But he was unable to carry on a more advanced "conversation" with a trainer he didn't know which means he was likely taking ques from observing trainers he knew.

I've seen almost 600 episodes of Lassie, you can't fool me.

:p

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Report came out that Anthony Bourdain was...actually clean at the time of death. He was, however, trying to quit smoking and was taking Chantix, which is known to have some pretty terrible side-effects for some people, including increased risk of depression.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Report came out that Anthony Bourdain was...actually clean at the time of death. He was, however, trying to quit smoking and was taking Chantix, which is known to have some pretty terrible side-effects for some people, including increased risk of depression.

Nice to know, although I wonder if clean includes alcohol, which I somehow doubt. Certainly a leader in risk of depression as well.

As if they'd say the found the poison the reptilians killed him with

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

suicides is simple to decrease.  not kidding.  current US suicide per capita rate still hasn't reached levels it were at when coal gas were used in ovens. change from coal gas made suicide more inconvenient and suicide rates dropped dramatic.  current opioid crisis has put lethal amounts o' legal narcotics into the hands o' millions of Americans.  is no wonder the recent increase in suicide rate is mirroring the suicides by drug increase.  as such, am suspecting the single most effective means o' decreasing suicides in this country would be to put greater limits on handgun ownership.  sure, is constitutional issues, but in terms o' most immediate impact, take away a common and simple means o' self execution would be having immediate and lasting results.

as sad as it is to consider, suicide is most easily prevented by making the act inconvenient.  force folks to reflect for even a short period o' time and chances are they step back from the brink instead o' going through the extra effort needed to end their own existence.  is the worst kinda dark humor to acknowledge the laziness o' the ordinary suicide.  make suicide more inconvenient and large numbers o' lives is saved. yeah, the root problem o' large numbers o' depressed peoples is not addressed, but make suicide inconvenient at least gives friends and family time to save the potential suicide.

I'm not really sure how constructive it is to make life even more inconvenient for suffering people in order to save some percentage of said suffering people at the expense of the others.

Denis Akiyama - Not celebrity celebrity, but a recognisable background and voice actor. Most might recognise him for portraying Tong Si Hung in DE:HR.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ed Schultz passed away today. He was just 64. He was a news commentator on CNN and other networks for many years. He was brash, loud, unapologeticly liberal, and usually entertaining. http://money.cnn.com/2018/07/05/media/ed-schultz-death/index.html

Thomas Sowell