General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

Bob Dorough passed away. He was the guy that wrote and created the School House Rock shorts that used to come on during Saturday Morning Cartoons back in the 70's & 80's. https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/24/us/schoolhouse-rock-creator-died-trnd/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

Margot Kidder

Its easy to forget that she was a pretty good actress. Unfortunately I don't think the Superman series gave her a lot to work with. RIP

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I just saw this. I've read a few of his books.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Philip Roth, the man whom for my money is in top three of best American writers, has died at age 85.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/double-take/philip-roth-in-the-new-yorker?mbid=social_twitter

He had wholly retired from writing after Nemesis in 2010, but still his death among the many since 2016 is the one that hits me hardest.

David Remnick wrote about Roth’s retirement, in 2012, and, the following year, sent a dispatch from Roth’s eightieth-birthday celebration, in Newark—Roth’s home town and the site of much of his fiction. That night, Roth read a famous passage from “Sabbath’s Theater,” “death-haunted but assertive of life,” Remnick wrote. “The passage ends with his hero putting stones on the graves of the dead. Stones that honor the dead. Stones that are also meant to speak to the dead, to mark the presence of life, as well, if only for a while. The passage ends simply. It ends with the line, ‘Here I am.’ ”
Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Was never a huge fan/follower but I did enjoy some of the WTF videos. And cancer just plain sucks, as always. RIP

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Alan Bean passed away: https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/astronaut-moonwalker-alan-bean-dies-86-55461427

There are just four people alive today with first hand knowledge of what the surface of the moon is actually like. And sadly small chance they will be able to discuss it with someone new in their lifetimes. 

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

Alan Bean passed away: https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/astronaut-moonwalker-alan-bean-dies-86-55461427

There are just four people alive today with first hand knowledge of what the surface of the moon is actually like. And sadly small chance they will be able to discuss it with someone new in their lifetimes. 

Hey.. I've been to the Nevada desert too.... lots of people have. ;)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

Well that sucks, I liked his show and he seemed like a chill guy

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

RIP. I was never really comfortable with watching his shows - I always found him just a little off-putting, and he seemed to often have an alcohol problem (e: and from what I'm reading now, he's had substance abuse problems since forever, which unfortunately fits with the feeling I already had). A few people I know that have been following him for forever are going to be devastated, though... Chronic depression is a funny thing, too - most of the time, it might seem bearable, but it only takes one night where you get into your own head just a little too much and there being nobody there to help you or pull you back from the brink, and that can be it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

Anthony Bourdain committed suicided, he was 61...

I'm at a loss for words.

This is the first person I have read on this thread that has died that has saddened me  ;(  ;(

He was an amazing person to watch on TV, I loved his tours of wild and untraveled lands. He truly ate everything and was one of first celebrity chefs to truly inspire me to cook, I have always followed this saying of his   " if you dont eat all types of food you will never challenge your palate to reach great heights "  ( or something similar )

I would suggest all his fans read this book

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33313.Kitchen_Confidential

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

RIP. I was never really comfortable with watching his shows - I always found him just a little off-putting, and he seemed to often have an alcohol problem (e: and from what I'm reading now, he's had substance abuse problems since forever, which unfortunately fits with the feeling I already had). A few people I know that have been following him for forever are going to be devastated, though... Chronic depression is a funny thing, too - most of the time, it might seem bearable, but it only takes one night where you get into your own head just a little too much and there being nobody there to help you or pull you back from the brink, and that can be it.

He beat the heroine addiction  as far as I know but he may have still been  battling with depression 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/business/media/anthony-bourdain-dead.html

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Funny isn't the word I'd use, but then me and chronic depression have a very toxic relationship.

Didn't know the guy, but every mental illness related suicide is a tragic failure of society. R.I.P.

• Like 1