General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

Exposure to Piers Morgan is what did him in

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We seem to have increasingly few celebrated scientific minds out there, when there used to be so many. I don't know if that's because there are simply less of them (I would hope this is not the case), or because their time and services are more and more monopolized by governments and corporations. Hawking was rather unique for his incredible story of perseverance, too. RIP.

There are fewer celebrated scientific minds out there because most science was long ago largely hijacked by political and corporate agendas. Objectivity does not reign supreme anywhere in modern academia, including in the various fields of science. It hasn't for decades, and it's influence continues to wane.

Hawking wasn't near as much a scientist as he was the high priest of the Big Bang religion.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne Huizenga passed away. He's someone I've always had a great deal of admiration for. For a few reasons. He is 100% responsible for my two favorite sports teams existing today: The Miami Marlins and the Florida Panthers. But also because he is the quintessential American success story. College dropout, Army vet, worked had to save money and start a business by buying a garbage truck. 30 years later that one garbage truck grew into Republic Waste, one of the biggest waste disposal companies in the world.

He got a lot of negative press in SFL. Not always undeserved. But he did a lot of good with his generosity and philanthropy. Among many other things he built the Humane Society of Broward County a beautiful facility in southern Broward County. Two of the best friends I'll ever know, Gator Bait & Scooby came from there. And for that I'll always be grateful.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wayne-huizenga-blockbuster-miami-dolphins-owner-dies-80-n859586

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

​RIP. :(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/obituaries/chuck-mccann-zany-comic-in-early-childrens-tv-dies-at-83.html

Chuck McCann RIP.

He was a perennial face (and voice - he did voices on a lot of cartoons, including DuckTales, Powerpuff Girls, 1990s Fantastic Four) on television, first locally in New York and then nationwide.  Also was in a lot of tv commercials as well (particularly Right Guard in the 70s).  His main staring film, The Projectionist is considered to be a great showcase for his talents (and the first feature film appearance of Rodney Dangerfield as McCann's character's overbearing boss).

He was also a lifelong fan of Laurel and Hardy.  Besides being a big correspondent with Stan Laurel before Stan passed away, he helped found Sons of the Desert fan organization for the pair and portrayed Hardy in skits (and did routines based on both with puppets as well).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The guy who played Dr. Huer passed away at 90: https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/tim-oconnor-star-on-peyton-place-and-buck-rogers-dies-at-90/ar-AAvPn8U?ocid=spartanntp

If you know who that is congrats. You were a sci-fi fan in the '80s!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

RIP.  Tim O'Connor was one of those actors who if you watch 60s - 80s US tv shows was an ever present face as a guest star, as well as his regular roles on Buck Rogers and TV's Peyton Place.

Shows like Columbo, Streets of San Francisco, Alfred Hitch**** Hour, Twilight Zone, Police Woman, Wonder Woman, T. J. Hooker, Murder She Wrote, The Defenders, Father Dowling, The Fugitive, Mannix, Barnaby Jones, Hawaii Five-O, Gunsmoke, Ellery Queen, Six Million Dollar Man, Cannon, Banacek, M*A*S*H*, Rockford Files and Star Trek: The Next Generation.  He was in a few of movies (including Sssssss, Black Jack and one of the Naked Gun sequels) and a few TV Movies (including Winter Kill, a murder mystery with Andy Griffith set at a ski resort) as well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://deadline.com/2018/04/harry-anderson-dead-night-court-cheers-daves-world-1202365758/

Harry Anderson died at 65. I always did like Night Court, except for the last season

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

RIP Mr. Anderson.  He was great in Night Court, and in the miniseries adaption of IT.

RIP.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/harry-anderson-dead-night-court-cheers-daves-world-1202365758/

Harry Anderson died at 65. I always did like Night Court, except for the last season

:(   Night Court was one of my favorites, and his character was the best. RIP.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

RIP Verne Troyer.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2