General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mary Ellis... Passed away at the age of 101.

The last surviving female WW II Spitfire pilot, has died. This incredible woman who flew 400 British Spitfires, was one of Britain’s greatest aviators. She delivered fighters and bombers for the Air Transport Auxiliary and was an inspiration to many.

37922648_10155642374817267_2882998614211

Obituary: Mary Ellis the air pioneer

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not quite celebrity per se, but definetly worth mentioning, Sen. John McCain has passed away... http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/365351-mccain-war-hero-and-senate-giant-dies

and good riddance.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Not quite celebrity per se, but definetly worth mentioning, Sen. John McCain has passed away... http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/365351-mccain-war-hero-and-senate-giant-dies

and good riddance.

What an ugly thing to say.

I don't like politicians and I earnestly believe the world is better without them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

What a politically loaded statement. Have you considered going into politics?

I'm not that big of piece of ****.

village_idiot.gif

I missed this story last week. Just saw it. Lazy Lester, the best bluesman you've never heard of (unless you live along the Mississippi River) passed away at age 85. RIP and many thanks for the music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GkbNJ7BfCU&list=RDJ7mgL8x_bxk&index=4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

The Bears are all sad. 10-99 good buddies, the Bandit has signed off.

RIP Burt Reynolds.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

****, I have to grab a truckload of beer and have a marathon.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

What the hell is going on with suicides lately? Two celebrities in a week and it has become the 10th highest cause of death in the US. In some states it's the highest non-natural cause. It's heartbreaking.

Some of the celebrity deaths which were deemed suicides weren't actually suicides. Margot Kidder and Dolores O'Riodan were just recently deemed non-suicidal deaths by the very people who said it was so. Point being, suicide isn't always the case but it's an easy go-to if the person had a history with mental-illnesses or diagnosed with depression or similar disorders.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 2 weeks later...

For that slight twist on "celebrity"...

Freddie Oversteegen, Dutch resistance fighter who killed Nazis through seduction dies at 92

She was 14 when she joined the Dutch resistance, though with her long, dark hair in braids she looked at least two years younger.

When she rode her bicycle down the streets of Haarlem in North Holland, firearms hidden in a basket, Nazi officials rarely stopped to question her. When she walked through the woods, serving as a lookout or seductively leading her SS target to a secluded place, there was little indication that she carried a handgun and was preparing an execution.

The Dutch resistance was widely believed to be a man’s effort in a man’s war. If women were involved, the thinking went, they were likely doing little more than handing out anti-German pamphlets or newspapers.

Yet Freddie Oversteegen and her sister Truus, two years her senior, were rare exceptions — a pair of teenage women who took up arms against Nazi occupiers and Dutch “traitors” on the outskirts of Amsterdam. With Hannie Schaft, a onetime law student with fiery red hair, they sabotaged bridges and rail lines with dynamite, shot Nazis while riding their bikes, and donned disguises to smuggle Jewish children across the country and sometimes out of concentration camps.

In perhaps their most daring act, they seduced their targets in taverns or bars, asked if they wanted to “go for a stroll” in the forest — and “liquidated” them, as Ms Oversteegen put it, with a pull of the trigger.

“We had to do it,” she told one interviewer. “It was a necessary evil, killing those who betrayed the good people.” When asked how many people she had killed or helped kill, she demurred: “One should not ask a soldier any of that.”

Freddie Oversteegen, the last remaining member of the Netherlands’ most famous female resistance cell, died Sept. 5, one day before her 93rd birthday. She was living in a nursing home in Driehuis, five miles from Haarlem, and had suffered several heart attacks in recent years, said Jeroen Pliester, chairman of the National Hannie Schaft Foundation.

The organization was founded by Ms Oversteegen’s sister in 1996 to promote the legacy of Schaft, who was captured and executed by the Nazis weeks before the end of World War II. “Schaft became the national icon of female resistance,” Pliester said, a martyr whose story was taught to schoolchildren across the Netherlands and memorialized in a 1981 movie, “The Girl With the Red Hair,” which took its title from her nickname.

Ms Oversteegen served as a board member in her sister’s organization. But she “decided to be a little bit out of the limelight,” Pliester said, and was sometimes overshadowed by Schaft and Truus, the group’s leader.

“I have always been a little jealous of her because she got so much attention after the war,” Ms Oversteegen told Vice Netherlands in 2016, referring to her sister. “But then I’d just think, ‘I was in the resistance as well.’ ”

It was, she said, a source of pride and of pain — a five-year experience that she never regretted, but that came to haunt her in peacetime. Late at night, unable to fall asleep, she sometimes recalled the words of an old battle song that served as an anthem for her and her sister: “We have carried the best to their graves/ torn and fired at, beaten till the blood ran/ surrounded by the executioners on the scaffold and jail/ but the raging of the enemy doesn’t frighten us.”

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 2 weeks later...