How's performance compared to the first game?

I only just bought PoE 2 days ago and I'm enjoying nerding out very much, but technically I'm finding it quite poor. The frame rate is really bad during combat, fluctuating wildly from 20 - 100fps. I'm also having lots of audio issues, from voice work skipping to choppy audio while just exploring (I've disabled my VPN and IP6 which helped but didn't fix it entirely).

So now I'm wondering is PoE2 on the same engine? If so will it be the absolute latest version of Unity which I know is a little better. Once I finish PoE I'd like to back PoE2 and buy it early, and the only thing that's holding me back is the worry of it running poorly, which is always my worry when a game uses Unity.

8600K @ 5GHz, GTX 1080 OC, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, SSD, Windows 10 Pro

As far as I know, Deadfire also uses Unity. However, the graphics are much improved, so if you're having difficulty running the 1st one, then I imagine you'll run into worse problems with Deadfire. Perhaps you should consider upgrading your PC/graphics card before purchasing?

As far as I know, Deadfire also uses Unity. However, the graphics are much improved, so if you're having difficulty running the 1st one, then I imagine you'll run into worse problems with Deadfire. Perhaps you should consider upgrading your PC/graphics card before purchasing?

I'm using a 3570k @ 4.3GHz, GTX 970 superclocked, 16GB DDR3 2133MHz, SSD which should be plenty for this game, it runs everything else at 60 - 144fps. Unity is always an issue though, but I know it has improved since the original PoE so I hope the devs will be taking advantage of all the improvements they've made. Another minor technical issue is the wait after a fight before you can loot, I find it really annoying. I'm hoping the devs allow us to tweak individual visual settings in PoE2 compared to just having a general slider.

I do plan to upgrade in the future though, but right now my PC runs everything at 60fps minimum, often within the 100 - 144fps sweet spot (I have a 144Hz monitor) so it's hard to justify right now. 

It depends on the source of your issues. Can't say without more info, but that kind of performance almost sounds like what would happen if I ran it off my laptop w/ integrated graphics card, or if I was unlucky enough to have a seriously buggy version of the game.

The beta still needs to undergo serious balance passes. Right now not even a 1080ti will give a stable 60 fps, as testified by another user in the beta subforum.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It depends on the source of your issues. Can't say without more info, but that kind of performance almost sounds like what would happen if I ran it off my laptop w/ integrated graphics card, or if I was unlucky enough to have a seriously buggy version of the game.

I would hazard a guess it's CPU related, as it's a common issue in these types of games where lots of calculations are done on the fly. I know Unity still handles some tasks with only 1 thread which could be the issue, but I'm not a developer so I can't say for sure. I'm just hoping Unity has progressed enough in the last few years to make PoE2 run better, even with improved visuals as it seems more of an engine bottleneck than lack of power on my end.