Vacation suggestions

ShadySands

Hey all, I'm trying to start planning my vacations for 2018 and am looking for some suggestions that I might not come up with on my own. Only real requirements are that it is safe and there is something interesting to see and/or do there. My wife likes the water but nice beaches would just be a plus and not a requirement.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 6

Free games updated 3/4/21

Youve already been to Fiji, right?

Were also looking into vacations but we'll probably keep it "local" and do another all inclusive to Cancun or Cozumel. Last years vacation was a cruise, and it was nice, but I think I prefer just sitting my ass in the resort pool bar. :lol:

• Like 1

What's a vacation ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've not been to Fiji but I've thought about going. We did an all inclusive in Cancun for our wedding at a place called Excellence Playa Mujeres and we enjoyed it. I didn't go anywhere last year but I sent my wife back to Estonia to visit her parents.

We don't really have a set budget either but we'd like to keep it under 5 to 7k

Places we've been

Mexico

Costa Rica

Jamaica

Italy

Estonia

Russia

Utah, Nevada, AZ, NM, NY, WY in the US

Free games updated 3/4/21

Hawaii. Specifically Kauai. It's a bit more out of the way than Oahu, Maui, or Hawai'i. To me that makes it so much nicer. It's less hustle and bustle if that appeals to you and it costs a little less too. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think Portugal is a pretty great vacation destination. Great weather, interesting history, underrated wine, castles, amazing pastries, and perhaps most importantly - everything is pretty cheap compared to the rest of Western-Europe. I've only been in Lisbon for a week when I solo travelled, but want to go back - perhaps to Porto next time.

• Like 2

kalbarri could appeal to shady.  geographical it is as if somebody took the arizona desert and added nice ocean beaches to the scenery.  however, am not recalling too many great restaurants. might need head down to perth to get a decent meal in wa.

converse, san sebastián, spain is a coastal destination with fabulous food offerings... but it is an established resort town, with all the drawbacks o' touristy resort towns.

will echo gd regarding kauai.  is our typical annual hawaii destination.  however, keep in mind we go to kauai to get away from everything but sand, surf, and sea turtles. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps kalbarri gots a wildflower season similar to deserts of the american southwest... though, y'know, opposite ends o' the calendar year.  can be a spectacular sight.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've always wanted to go to Turkey (Istanbul, specifically), but I guess it's not really the place to be at the moment. Maybe Poland so you can visit Sharp_one. ;)

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I've heard a lot of horror stories from friends, coworkers, and acquaintances who've been to Paris... though most of them praised the countryside

In my experience Parisians can be rather ****ty, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's a must for visiting at some point - beautiful city with lots to do. Beach-wise I would suggest looking into the Mediterranean, I guess. A place I've always wanted to go to was Rhodes for example, and surely that can be mixed with plenty other interesting coastal cities and locations with plenty of history to go along with the beaches.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I've heard a lot of horror stories from friends, coworkers, and acquaintances who've been to Paris... though most of them praised the countryside

yeah, the degree of niceness of the French can... vary. But it is Europe’s most beautiful city

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Rhodes...reading that it's actually a popular tourist location. Seems like the place to be if you want to visit Greece...lots of history to it, too, and a wonderful location. Think I'll add that to my list of places I want to visit.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Paris circa 1970's was a filthy dump with dogs everywhere. But I did get to see the Louvre, Crown Jewels of England, Napoleon's tomb, the cell and beheading location for Maria Antoinette, Eifel Tower, etc. so I guess I would recommend it. Also, they crap standing up there with no dividers between crappers. Or at least they did back then.

yeah, the degree of niceness of the French can... vary. But it is Europe’s most beautiful city

I'd put a few above it. Prague, Vienna and Rome, for example.

• Like 1

It's the only one with the reputation and lore that it has.

Maybe other places in the Carribean? Puerto Rico? It'd certainly help with them recover from the hurricane. And no, I'm not trying to guilt trip you into going.

It's the only one with the reputation and lore that it has.

Reputation? Sure. Lore? Arguable. Not dissing on Paris though because it *is* a beautiful city and worth visiting. I just also think there are others that, in my opinion at least, are just as worthy of a visit and more evocative.

• Like 1

@shadysands: What would you like to do though? Visit museums? Knowing what you'd like to do is important because vacationing to visit museums and stuff is different from vacationing to relax on the beach. Not hugely different, but still.

Edited by smjjames

Sure, if you want to die of dysentery. :lol:

Shady won't be dirt poor there though. 

How about Iceland ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I like food. Everything else is gravy.... mmm gravy

gravy?

am afraid shady is gonna be stuck with a montreal 2018 vacation.  am not a fan o' montreal, but if it is gravy you want...

HA! Good Fun!

ps other thing for which montreal is deserved noteworthy is nudy bars and sex trade... so there is that. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I was thinking spicy food rather than dysentry, but yeah, I wasn't being totally serious with that one.

Sure, if you want to die of dysentery. :lol:

Shady won't be dirt poor there though. 

How about Iceland ?

Iceland isn't really known for it's beaches....