Hey there!

One thing that always bothered about me is that I have this chronic thing of restarting a play through multiple times - I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue among the fans of this kind of games. I'm trying to play the game again for a character to import in deadfire - the previous save I had were lost - but every time I put 2/4 hours in, I then restart again with a different build. I'm stuck in this unsatisfying loop!  :w00t: 

Main reason is because another idea pops in my head and I don't have the will force to resist eheh.

So I thought to maybe gather from suggestions from you guys *swings his arms to the sky invoking Boeroer* in the hope to find a cool idea. I've looked of course in the pinned build's thread and tried some of them already but could be that I overlooked something.

Do you have any build / concept in mind? Even if you haven't tried it maybe.
Maybe there's a combination of talents and abilities that have unexpected synergies that flies under the radar? Maybe this said combination reflects one of the possible multi classing in deadfire already? that's great!

An example: actually using drugs for a specific purpose, and then it'll work well with the drug monk subclass in deadifre.

I'm not min-maxing that much usually and I'll play just on hard so it doesn't have to be something that well thought.

I'll play with the game companions; flexibility there too if there's someone that works well with your idea. Staples are going to be Eder, Aloth and Palegina so I can play with them in deadfire (possibly it would be good to avoid picking the same classes for the main character build, but it's also true that the same class can be played in many different ways of course).

All right, that's all folks, thanks for the read! 

I'm replaying a ranger I had but lost the saves for. The party is based around robin hood:

Robin Hood - Wood-elf ranger

Little John - Aumaua Barbarian with a pole axe or pike - quarterstaffs aren't great except for the soulbound one which a barb can't use.

Maid Marion - Elf Druid

Friar Tuck - Human Priest

Will Scarlet - Human Rogue

Azim - Human Fighter - Because I like Prince of Thieves

But maybe I will swap out Will or Azim for Alan-a-Dale - Chanter

Edited by ArnoldRimmer

If you want to retain as much "character" as possible when trasitioning to Deadfire I would look at the actual Backer Beta of Deadfire and which builds are currently good. Then I would try to mimic somthing like that in PoE. 

Currently the following things are working really good:

- multiclassing a melee guy with a wizard in order o get the really good self buffs and also Citzal's Spirit Lance (Paladin/Wizard, Berserker/Wizard, Devoted/Wizard, Unbroken/Wizard, Monk/Wizard and so on)

- multiclassing a ranged guy with a wizard in order to use Kalakoth's Minor Blights + special abilites (like monk's Lighting Strikes or Paladin's Flames of Devotion for example)

- multiclassing a ranger with a monk in order to combine Swift Flurry + Long Pain + Driving Flight (flying fists all over the place)

- Sharpshooter/Helwalker with dual scepter + modal (wounds all the time and crazy ranged damage)

- Priest/Paladin or Priest/Monk for using the sumoned weapon of the priest with Flames of Devotion or Lightning Strikes(+110% lash damage)

- Paladin/Monk for using Lightning Strikes + Flames of Devotion

- Druid/Paladin or Druid/Monk for using Wildstrike + Lightning Strikes or Flames of Devotion

- Assassin/Soulblade: kill an enemy with a great sword out of stealth, get a ton of focus and kill the next enemy with Soul Annihilation: two enemies dead in the first 3 secs of combat.

- Assassin/Evoker: cast a damaging spell out of stealth and get assassination damage for the spell (+200% damage and bonus penetration)
- Skald/melee class that raises crit chance, dual wielding. Chanters are very powerful per se in Deadfire atm and the Skald gets phrases when he crits in melee. He also pays less phrases for offensive invocations. This allows him to spam things like Killers Froze Stiff or Hel-Hyraf (very powerful in Deadfire) all the time.
- Ranger/Beckoner: having 1 pet and being able to summon 6 skeletons (that scale with level!) is very powerful. You are having your own army and won't get touched at all.

and many more...

The most powerful of those combos in PoE would be a ranged monk who uses the Long Pain mainly. There is a build in the list (Witch Doctor) which evolves around the Long Pain. One could alter it to get a more "rangerish" vibe.

Another thing would be to play a melee wizard with good CON and Veteran's Recovery and aim for Citzal's Spirit Lance, using Concelhaut's Staff in the meantime and making heavy use of self buffs mainly. This is also a quite fun and powerful apporach in PoE.

A melee chanter, dual wielding and with good self healing (Veteran's Recovery + Ancient Memory + Beloved Spirits) who focuses on short phrases in order to fire Killers Froze Stiff and Seven Nights a lot would also be good. This could mimic the Skald combo.

A rogue with all spell binding gear he can get (Sun-Touched Mail, Amulet of Summer Solstice, Flames of Fair Rhian, Bittercut, Animancer's Boots and so on - spells work with Deathblows and crit conversion - spells which do pierce/slash or crush damage even trigger Deep Wounds) to mimic the Assassin/Evoker. This is also quite powerful in PoE.

A rogue with Backstab, Cape of the Master Mystic, unlocked Nightshroud and Feign Death, using Tidefall as main backstab weapon and putting on Munacra Arret, Ring of Changing Heart and Spirit Spiral to mimic the cipher (Soulblade) part OR a cipher with Firebrand, using as many damge bonuses against flanked enemies as he can get (Apprentices Sneak 15% + item like Glanfathan Stakling Boots +10 and survival 12 or even 16 + 2 from item in order to get +20% or even +30% damage). This can mimic the assassin part because you can get up to +55% against flanked targets and that's massive with Firebrand. With Phantom Foes you can constantly trigger flanked on enemies.

I also once played a melee unarmed wizard with Novice's Suffering and maxed MIG and heavy use of self buffs, especially Citzal's Martial Power. I tried to mainly use touch based spells (Grimore Slam, Jolting Touch and so on) in order to mimic "special attacks" of a monk. It worked quite well and was a lot of fun. That's because Novice's Suffering works really well with high MIG but totally sucks with crits and damage bonuses. A wizard won't have plenty of the last two ones, so it's perfect. Also, grazes with Novice's Suffering do almost the same damage as with crits. So the low melee ACC of the wizard is no problem at all. But it's easy to get high MIG with a wizard once you get Martial Power. In Deadfire you can easily multiclass a wizard with a monk and make use of the great self buffs of the wizard and combine that with the good survivability and melee damage of the monk. Maybe here the "drunken master" thing would be fun where you take a Nalpasca Monk and a wizard. 

That are my initial thoughts... :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That are my initial thoughts... :)

Wow, I wonder what your full thoughts are then. :biggrin:  I knew I could count on your input, we should have a Boeroer signal to turn on.

The Assassin / Evoker and the fist mage really captured my interest. Maybe I'll run both - the mage being the MC - and have one less companion!

What I like about the first one is that is a pretty different approach to the rogue class and it's pretty easily doable in deadfire if I decide to bring him over. Do deathblows and deep wounds trigger when using scrolls too? If so I might consider putting some points in lore to and maybe have him pick deep pockets.

weapons that would work with his style in addition to Bittercut are the 2 stilettos that proc on crits if I decide to have him 2 weapons fighting.

I'm going to probably spend some time on the wiki checking all the equipment there is with some sort of spell binding eheh

The mage one; between the two is the one that I prefer: it gives you a chance to use spells and abilities that you've barely used on other mages, touch spells for example, like you said. I'm gonna go have a look on how to proceed.

Of course if you have any suggestions on how to build this 2 regarding stats, races, equipment or whatever feel free to post :biggrin: Especially the mage; seems more complicated to me and I'm almost sure I'm going to make some dumb mistakes with him.

Again, thanks for the input! :bow:

Yes, Deathblows and Deep Wounds also work with spell from scrolls. THe source of the spell doesn't matter at all. Just keep in mindthat Deep WOPunds only triggers on spells that do either pierce, slash or crush damage. So, for example Concussive Missiles is a great scroll to use or Twin Stones. Both are also foe-only which is good. You don't want to cast a Maelstrom+Deathblows onto your party members. ;) Other spells that trigger Deep Wounds are Overbearing Wave (there's one version that's 1/encounter and foe-only and that's from the Swaddling Sheet which procs when you catch a crit - and another 1/rest version on the White Crest Armor), MindLance (amulet) and so on. There are a lot of spel binding items. You can decide which ones you like best. I like Sun-Touched Mail and Amulet of SUmmer SOlstice best because they give you 6 Sunbeams per rest and Sunbeam also blinds in an AoE for a pretty long time - which is neat for a rogue.

I once did a scroll based rogue build which might contain further information on rogue+spells: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86156-class-build-the-sorcerers-apprentice-twisted-sneaky-dps-scroll-user/

The spell-binding-rogue is quite fun and also works like a normal rogue (if you use dual sabres for example) when all spells got cast. So it's no problem to run out of spells, you can still keep on hitting with your weapons to great effect. :)

A melee wizard, especially with Citzal's Spirit Lance, using Alacrity + Citzal's Martial Power, is very powerful. Also Infuse with Vital Essence can help you to not lose too much health while endurance can be healed with Veteran's Recovery and Concelhaut's Draining spells.

Stats can be fairly balanced. I like to drop RES a bit, but the rest of the attributes can be useful. For the unarmed monkish wizard you want to have maxed MIG (so, 21 would be great) and can do with lower DEX because of dual wielding.

Hello.

I´m new to this forum and so this is my first post.

English isn't my mother tongue, so please be indulgent to my mistakes. :-)

I played through PoE only once, long before White March. Never started again. Now i owned the Expansion Pass. Dont want to open a new Thread, cause this one is similar to my problem.^^

Started a Ranger, a Druid, a Mage last weeks and only reached Gilded Vale with them.

So i want to play a damage dealing char. Prefer ranged. With good lore and background, so my second playthrough will be an interesting and, perhaps, long-lasting one.

I can´t decide between Druid (Spellcaster), Mage, Priest and Cipher. Ranger isnt my class, i think.

Are the guides in the first post still valid? Fire Priest and Ranged Cipher seems very interesting.

Any Tips? :-)

As I understood it spellcasters were trash tier in the latest public Deadfire build.  I would not expect that to be the case at launch - that would be a pretty colossal failure on their part.

Building around an alpha balance state for an unreleased game is probably going to leave you disappointed.  If anything, I'd use it as an excuse to play a concept that you wouldn't consider in the base game due to its balance - ranged support chanters, rogues in general, etc - with an eye towards synergies that might be relevant in PoE2 (chanter + something action heavy, cipher + physical damage dealer, etc); natural mechanical synergies are going to be useful regardless of the state of balance.

I PoE one of the most interesting ranged characters is a bow cipher (if you don't like rangers). Other alternatives are a ranged rogue (more weapon damage than the cipher but no spells and literally no crowd control options), a wizard with implements (wand, scepter or rod) + Blast Talent and also a monk who focuses on the Long Pain (lvl 7).

But a bow cipher has it all: nice weapon damage, good crowd control, not too squishy.

Thx, for the quick response.

Bow Cipher? Ok, sounds interesting. Arquebus Build, but with bow?

Found that Godhammer Priest. What do you think of it?

EDIT: i´m not looking for the best char to transfer to PoE 2. Not for now.^^ 

Which background gives you the most lore? Not MIN-MAX.

Edited by Venatoris78

Yes, Deathblows and Deep Wounds also work with spell from scrolls. THe source of the spell doesn't matter at all. Just keep in mindthat Deep WOPunds only triggers on spells that do either pierce, slash or crush damage. So, for example Concussive Missiles is a great scroll to use or Twin Stones. Both are also foe-only which is good. You don't want to cast a Maelstrom+Deathblows onto your party members. ;) Other spells that trigger Deep Wounds are Overbearing Wave (there's one version that's 1/encounter and foe-only and that's from the Swaddling Sheet which procs when you catch a crit - and another 1/rest version on the White Crest Armor), MindLance (amulet) and so on. There are a lot of spel binding items. You can decide which ones you like best. I like Sun-Touched Mail and Amulet of SUmmer SOlstice best because they give you 6 Sunbeams per rest and Sunbeam also blinds in an AoE for a pretty long time - which is neat for a rogue.

I once did a scroll based rogue build which might contain further information on rogue+spells: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86156-class-build-the-sorcerers-apprentice-twisted-sneaky-dps-scroll-user/

The spell-binding-rogue is quite fun and also works like a normal rogue (if you use dual sabres for example) when all spells got cast. So it's no problem to run out of spells, you can still keep on hitting with your weapons to great effect. :)

A melee wizard, especially with Citzal's Spirit Lance, using Alacrity + Citzal's Martial Power, is very powerful. Also Infuse with Vital Essence can help you to not lose too much health while endurance can be healed with Veteran's Recovery and Concelhaut's Draining spells.

Stats can be fairly balanced. I like to drop RES a bit, but the rest of the attributes can be useful. For the unarmed monkish wizard you want to have maxed MIG (so, 21 would be great) and can do with lower DEX because of dual wielding.

Thanks for the info. I had a look at your burning scrolls rogue and it's a great idea. I'll probably pick some parts of that build but make it more close combat. Thanks again and have a good one!

• Like 1

The Priest is the strongest class in PoE, so it's always a good pick. ;)

In fact: the char I wanted to carry over to Deadfie is a priest (of Eothas) as well. Sadly, priests in th Deadfire beta are a bit meh, so we'll see if I stick to taht char or maybe do another PoE playthrough before Deadfire finally comes out.

Edited by Boeroer

Eothas? For the Lore? I think of taking Magram. I always liked Fire. :-)

Another playthrough? How long do you need?

This would be my second playthrough, cant rember all the story from the first one. As i said, before White March came out.

So i would like to play with no rush and with npc companions. Which NPC would you recommend for group and lore / story?

Yes, for the lore. And the dialogue options for Eothas are pleasant to play (benevolent and honest). ;)

From a powergamer's point of view it doesn't really matter which deity one picks.

I can't count the playthroughs I've done so far. ;)

For NPCs I would use the ones that will also be in Deadfire: Aloth, Edér, Pallegina. Since I'm a priest I don't need Durance that much, but since priests are so powerful you can still bring him. He has an interesting backstory. But Kana Rua is also nice. Basically every one of the other companions will work fine for the last slot. I like to change the party all the time anyways.