The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games - FULL RESULTS!

algroth

I don't know how I managed to play all of Quest 64 only to completely forget its plot, its mechanics, that dozens of hours were consumed by it or that it even existed.

I'm sure glad I put so many points into it though.

I've never heard of it. Is it unpopular?

I played it back in the day but have only vague memories of it. I think the only remarkable thing about it was that it was one of the only, if not the only, RPG for the N64. Maybe that's why I gave it such a high ranking :p

• Like 2

Here's some I enjoy, from some of the latest years...

Journey

Oxenfree

Pyre

Hollow Knight

Ori

Some gems here, an mmo in which you rarely run into another player, a horror game which flips the genre on its head, an rpg that's actually original for once, a metroidvania in which nearly anyone who's played it claims/admits it's better than Super Metroud and Castlevania Symphony Of The Night and a beautiful platforner that proves platformers have just as much grace, emotion and depth as a 200 hour rpg. All of them have one thing in common, they are all aesthetically beautiful and all redefine their given genres.

These are great torch runners and someday will be iconic to future generations when they no longer know the names Mario or Pac-Man and you know what? I don't mind at all. You have great taste.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

He was talking about "box" art ;)

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Lol I completely missed a page due to holiday parties it seems, but I still stand by the praise I give each game. I can defos agree with the box art, though those classic boxes like Tetris are great too.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

And unfortunatelly you are wrong about what will current generation remember. Because gaming has now such a broad audience. The broader audience the worse general taste. A lot of indies are good games, but they are not "cool" so same will happen with games as happened with music, movies and book. Crap sells because of marketing and indies can't afford marketing.

Just look at this board. Even if people have different oppinions how a good should be, man can say, that people frequenting here have exceptional taste in games, and from what I have read, in music as well. But how many people in mid-twenties visit here? Average age here is very close to 40.

If young people would have good taste in general, Justin Bieber would die by starvation long ago :p

• Like 1

I forgot to give my speech on Hyper Light Drifter... it's Zelda but better in almost every way. It's obscure and a total acid trip, but what's more is that the dying developer who was sick when making this game, interjected alot of himself into the game.

For those wondering why the drifter bleeds or coughs up blood for no reason at random times, well there is the reason... but it's not that which makes this game better than Zelda games, it's the reasoning that it is a mere clone which surpasses the fames franchises and refines everything from exploration to combat.

A truly amazing feat. The game never made it to the WiiU or Switch because the developer... well.. you probably can already guess.

Another underrated legend, nothing new here :)

It warms my 4x heart to see that CiV got this kind of score, #50 here is more than decent.

CiV got so much flack when it was released, but time went by, and two nice expansions, and I ended up doing all the achievements for that game. It was extremely entertaining, for hundreds of hours. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

And unfortunatelly you are wrong about what will current generation remember. Because gaming has now such a broad audience. The broader audience the worse general taste. A lot of indies are good games, but they are not "cool" so same will happen with games as happened with music, movies and book. Crap sells because of marketing and indies can't afford marketing.

Just look at this board. Even if people have different oppinions how a good should be, man can say, that people frequenting here have exceptional taste in games, and from what I have read, in music as well. But how many people in mid-twenties visit here? Average age here is very close to 40.

If young people would have good taste in general, Justin Bieber would die by starvation long ago :p

Whilst I don't doubt that the average age in this site skews older, there are other sites that skew younger and do nonetheless display pretty damn good taste in music, films, videogames and what have you. Case in point, look at RateYourMusic and its offshoots. This aside, I don't think any generation has a majority that is ever invested in any one topic, and much as certain media or topics might be of wider appeal, the ratio between people invested in it deeply and casually still remains about the same, and so do 'taste' or perspective in that topic remain a quality exclusive to a minority, some of them older and some of them younger.

My experience with audiences of different ages has been quite different too, I admit... I have come across the typical accusations thrown at teenagers and 'young adults' quite often, even from people from these demographics, but my personal experience dealing with people of older generations has hardly been different - so much so that the only other people I've ever met in person who enjoy, say, the music of Cecil Taylor or the films of Theo Angelopoulos are usually in their 20s, or were at first fans in their 20s. In fact, in my experience older generations can be often just as close-minded as they assume people in their 20s to be, and almost *prouder* of the fact to boot ("back in my days we used to snore our way through Bergman films, they were all pretty scenery and little else"). I have to go back to something ShadySands I think mentioned in this thread, where he said that the older he's become the more focused his taste has become as well, and I think as much applies to many others as well: I know that back in my late teens and early 20s I would listen, watch, read and play a heck of a lot more than I do today, and with a greater variety and hunger for new things; I went through a few burnout phases, and slowly found what appealed to me most and in later years stuck with it. I have not been the only person I've heard this happen to either - I just think that, naturally, *that* is the time where someone invested in a certain topic or medium will strain themselves to explore as much of it as is possible, in as much depth as in breadth. Which is also why, despite the typical assumption that it's "people in their 20s" who listen to Justin Beiber and go watch superhero flicks at the cinema and whatnot, it is *also* people in their 20s who usually attend Residents concerts and independent film festivals, over the likes of older generations. Likewise I usually find older generations as guilty of attending/liking the usual action vehicles or trashy comedies as the "average youngster". What I mean to say with all of this long-winded rant is, "taste" is not the exclusive province of the older generations, nor is it necessarily more densely found in that demographic either.

As far as I'm concerned, in this respect Beiber's hardly any different to your usual Davy Jones or New Kids on the Block - there will always be a rubbish pop star or two around for every generation. We just happen to remember the latest because time has not yet consigned them to oblivion. :)

That said, do I think as much will happen to Mario and Zelda? **** no, they deserve their spot in history and then some.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Here's some I enjoy, from some of the latest years...

Journey

Oxenfree

Pyre

Hollow Knight

Ori

Some gems here, an mmo in which you rarely run into another player, a horror game which flips the genre on its head, an rpg that's actually original for once, a metroidvania in which nearly anyone who's played it claims/admits it's better than Super Metroud and Castlevania Symphony Of The Night and a beautiful platforner that proves platformers have just as much grace, emotion and depth as a 200 hour rpg. All of them have one thing in common, they are all aesthetically beautiful and all redefine their given genres.

These are great torch runners and someday will be iconic to future generations when they no longer know the names Mario or Pac-Man and you know what? I don't mind at all. You have great taste.

I know a bit about all five of those games, and will be checking a couple of them out soonish too (namely Pyre and Hollow Knight, since I cannot as of yet get Journey due to console exclusivity). Of the five above I did play through Ori and the Blind Forest and it nearly made my list, though ultimately I opted against it - yet I don't think it's necessarily better than the two games you've mentioned, nor do I think it has any real depth to it either. Much like so many other indie games, it's very proud of its aesthetic and wears its mood on its sleeve, but whilst the gameplay and the visuals can be quite diverse, tonally it remains rather one-note throughout, whilst the story seems to run almost parallel to the gameplay, told through the occasional cut-scenes and exposition that only barely inform the protagonist of their goal and what their motivations ought to be. I don't see how you could finish it and then so quickly and dismissively claim it has "as much depth and emotion as a 200-hour RPG", though then again I am not a stranger to your hyperboles. ;)

Of the rest... Oxenfree I watched a friend of mine play on his stream, and the general tone as well as the characters proved rather obnoxious. I might be interested in playing it but I don't make it a priority. Pyre is one of the two I want to check out soon along with Hollow Knight, and I have some hopes for both, as I've heard good things from people I trust about the latter, and am familiar with the previous games by Supergiant and overall find them an interesting developer even if their success ratio with me has so far been 1:1 (loved Bastion, was not fussed with Transistor).

Having said all of this, I don't expect any of these games to outlive the Mario legacy at all (but frankly, what game franchise will?).

Edited by algroth

Ah, I get a warm fuzzy feeling just seeing the box art for TIE Fighter.  

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Great to see the real Indy 4 making an appearance. So much better than the Crystal Skull in every way.

Better than Crystal Skull? It's better than all of the movies, or any other product in the franchise really.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The real question is, is it better than Temple of Doom? :p

*inserts random W40k heresy picture*

Hey, I call things as I see 'em. A spade a spade, and Temple of Doom a mediocre film. :p

You’re not man of taste, sir!

Edited by Mamoulian War

Hey, I call things as I see 'em. A spade a spade, and Temple of Doom a mediocre film. :p

I *am* a man of taste, and that is why I don't like Temple of Doom! :p

What's next, are we gonna defend Ghostbusters 2 as well? 1_0c_by_babblingfaces-dbfpe0m.png

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

Which Pirates is the one on Genesis? Is that Sid Meiers?

I *am* a man of taste, and that is why I don't like Temple of Doom! :p

What's next, are we gonna defend Ghostbusters 2 as well? 1_0c_by_babblingfaces-dbfpe0m.png

Are you kidding me lol People here would defend the newest Ghostbusters game to the death :p