Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games - FULL RESULTS!

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

With the crazy numbering issues that early Final Fantasy games have, I do wonder if FFVI was the one I was thinking of...ah well. I tried to vote for the one with the Opera.

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The trick to remember is that, if you have one game you *really* want to get in the list, then put all your points into it and give the rest one each. Completely lacking in scruples, but effective for your purposes.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I totally torgot about Grim Fagdango, classic.

Awwwe :) Barty likes Undertale <3 I would have nevah guessed
  • algroth likes this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The trick to remember is that, if you have one game you *really* want to get in the list, then put all your points into it and give the rest one each. Completely lacking in scruples, but effective for your purposes.

True story here... There was one such person who tried it on the last poll I held, on a different forum, for the top 100 films. In that case I'd asked for 50 films and 250 points to split between them as they wished, and one of the members took the opportunity to share all extra 200 points between two films (for 101 points each). Of those, one failed to make the list since it was only voted for by him, whilst the other made it all the way to the top spot indeed... But having also accrued a lead in *votes* over the second film. In the end, those 200 points he opted to share amidst those two films was useless, for one could not even break the top 100 for lack of votes, whilst the other had no need to even tiebreak for the top spot. All he achieved instead was to undermine the positions for all of the rest of the films he included in his list.

Here's the poll in question, by the way: http://bcb-board.co....p?f=32&t=134011

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3488 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

With the crazy numbering issues that early Final Fantasy games have, I do wonder if FFVI was the one I was thinking of...ah well. I tried to vote for the one with the Opera.

6 is the one with Kefka destroying the world and Celes waking up on the island.

Celes does disguise herself as an opera singer at one point.

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, you'd have to be pretty hard up to resort to such tactics. lol I took a gander at the movie list and it was complete BS! :**** eating grin:

I did have a number of my favorites on it, but Blade Runner was #1?!? Good God, people! We all know Groundhog Day is the best movie of all time!
  • SadExchange and Hurlshot like this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty hard up to resort to such tactics. lol I took a gander at the movie list and it was complete BS! :**** eating grin:

I did have a number of my favorites on it, but Blade Runner was #1?!? Good God, people! We all know Groundhog Day is the best movie of all time!

Groundhog Day was quite a controversial inclusion. I think back in 2011 it cracked the top 20 and made several go "wait, what the hell?". It dropped a bit this year but it's still interesting to see how much love there is for it as well as other goofy comedies like Airplane!, Blazing Saddles and This Is Spinal Tap (not that there's anything wrong with them either).

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not entirely sure myself, though I think VI was also released as III, whereas you voted for IV.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not entirely sure myself, though I think VI was also released as III, whereas you voted for IV.

I might have just messed up my numbers again like I did with HoMM. Stupid roman numerals.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5588 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@Hurlshot: Or perhaps you didn't: https://en.wikipedia...inal_Fantasy_IV

On wiki, it's called one of the greatest games of all time or something to that effect. :)

• Hurlshot likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3842 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
All know, that the greatest FF of all time is IX!!!

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3842 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Wait, was there a game picked by just 1 person? So far 106. is 2 voters.

Quite a few. I haven't counted all of the games on the list, but I'm quite certain at least 300 didn't make the cut, having either been voted by one person, or by 2 but not gathering enough points to crack the top 100. Once the results have been fully revealed I might post the whole raw list as I have it on my document in the thread.
I would say a lot of my picks were picked only by me :p Due to huge backlog of games made after 2010 and because of my stranger taste in games. So far none of my picks have made it to the list :’(
But 4 games in my backlog and 1 runner up in the list :p
Edit: Oh and 2 on my GOG wishlist, which will end up on my backlog sooner or later :D
Which would those be? And I wouldn't lose hope on your choices making the list just yet. :p
Wishlisted Grim Dawn and Tyranny. Runner Up was Dune II. On Backlog System Shock, Grim Fandango, Bloodborne and Shaderun Hongkong.

And I know, that few of my games will hit pretty high, but I think of at least 7 of my games did not make it for sure :D (maybe even more) :D

Edited by Mamoulian War, 30 December 2017 - 01:57 AM.

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Updated with a new batch! This one might probably prove fairly controversial, if nothing more because it seems the most idiosyncratic of all three updates thus far. Lemme hear your thoughts!

• Azdeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
Uh, whoops, my sort of whimsical final vote for Tetris actually helped get it a place on this list. Not that it's totally undeserved (seeing as it's sort of the - or at least a - grandfather of casual games), but still.

(edit): Also, games I considered voting for but decided against for various reasons that have currently shown up on this list: Majora's Mask, Hitman: Blood Money, Super Smash Bros., and Super Meat Boy, The latter two because I decided I simply didn't enjoy them enough for them to be deserving, the former two because while I did really enjoy them, MM had too many problems (especially for a game that was almost entirely recycled from bits and pieces of Ocarina of Time) to be deserving while Blood Money always had sort of that incomplete experience feeling to it (in its case, it was mechanically very satisfying, but lacking most everywhere else).

Edited by Bartimaeus, 30 December 2017 - 07:42 AM.

• algroth likes this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, usually with Tetris I can understand its importance and also find that the core mechanics hold up really well for a casual game after all these years. It's a "perfect" game in that regard, but also in the regard that it's not a game of very great artistic ambitions and thus there isn't even much room or risk for flaws in the first place. Whilst I can understand its relevance and following, I do feel like we've arrived to a point in the medium where we've done so much *more* as well. We may as well be listing The Arrival of a Train amidst the top 100 films ever made.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
Yeah, and the funny thing is, I'm not really much into casual games at all (either as a genre, or as a method of playing). However, I do think there is a sort of beauty in something so simple: turn it on and immediately start playing with some decent music to go along with it, no complications. A bit like Solitaire or Mahjong in that regard, except faster-paced. If it were a game installed by default on Windows, I'd probably play it every once in a while while waiting for something to complete.
  • Mamoulian War and algroth like this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3849 posts

I'd try to play it every once in a while while waiting for something to complete, but then I'd end up playing it for hours on end and forget what I was planning to do originally.

• Mamoulian War and Bartimaeus like this

Huinehtar

Huinehtar

Technothaumaturgist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

There are some games in people's lists that just aren't my genre or style. Or not my platform.

This is true for me as well

My tastes have gotten much narrower as I've gotten older

Yes, and for me it is not just gameplay wise, but also theme-wise.

I'd say it'd be true for me too, with the exception of kinds of gameplay and themes I wasn't aware when I was younger, and now I Iike. That's the big plus of internet (some could say the "only one" with sarcasm :p) here: the awareness of genres, games, systems, platforms, when you had to pay a lot for magazines back in the day, because too many of them were specific to a kind of games, or systems etc. Thus the situation could easily put many interesting games off the radar.

So rewarding old games isn't necessarily nostalgia, since few have been played recently, and I have to admit, many games I liked when I was younger, I just can't go back. And to an extend, it applies to new games released recently that share a lot of their legacy, or are their "spiritual" or "factual" children. While other games have made many years to truly make me realize how deep they have "changed" me, or at least have defined the kind of gamer I am now.

So the making of my own list was very instructive on how things have changed during the times.

On another note, I'm glad to see other games I gave points, and games that would be in my 26-50th's list :p

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hey... I like Candy Crush, it's a pretty casual hardcore game, you don't need to pay to win or anything like that :)

Not bad to waste time when on break at work or something.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7550 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

The fact that a Tex Murphy game made the list makes me so happy.

• Hurlshot, Huinehtar and algroth like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users