The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games - FULL RESULTS!

algroth

Well tbh, hard to do any worst games list. If you know the game is ****, youbwill not bother to get it even for free, but if you never played it, you cannot objectively put it on the list, because you know it only from hearsay. *shrugs*

Yeah, I think "most disappointing games of all time" would be better, because it really gets at the heart of the matter - games that you thought were gonna be good that ended up being really bad or otherwise emotionally crushing you for not meeting expectations. You don't even necessarily have to have to played the game in question to know that it greatly disappoints, whereas something like "worst game of all time", that's a pretty lofty title. I don't think I've played 25 games where I could objectively think that they're the worst games of all time - but I could definitely list 25 games that were extremely disappointing for various reasons.

• Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well tbh, hard to do any worst games list. If you know the game is ****, youbwill not bother to get it even for free, but if you never played it, you cannot objectively put it on the list, because you know it only from hearsay. *shrugs*

Yeah, I think "most disappointing games of all time" would be better, because it really gets at the heart of the matter - games that you thought were gonna be good that ended up being really bad or otherwise emotionally crushing you for not meeting expectations. You don't even necessarily have to have to played the game in question to know that it greatly disappoints, whereas something like "worst game of all time", that's a pretty lofty title. I don't think I've played 25 games where I could objectively think that they're the worst games of all time - but I could definitely list 25 games that were extremely disappointing for various reasons.

This suggestion is great, since it requires us to have played the games in question pretty extensively, it would be a pretty interesting and fun list. I certainly come to think of plenty of candidates off the top of my head, especially since I'm the kind of gamer that easily buys into the hype - I tend to preorder when nobody else here does, that's for sure. :ninja:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's funny how sometimes a little game you never heard of and just picked up on random store-run whim ends up a favorite beloved game, whilst that game you looked forward to for a long time and bought on day1 ends up being ... well, it's a common tale.

• Like 6
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Same can be said about Space Sims. I expected some Wing Commander or Freespace 2 on the list, but looks like I am the only one who voted for WC :(

Also I put Gran Turismo 2 on my list, so I made my part in this matter :p

Well Freespace 2 made 75'th on the list atleast, but had to get rid of Privateer to get some other games on there. :(

GTA, together with Worms and Mario Kart, gave me the most fun I ever had in multiplayer. In the literal laughing out loud sense of the word.

I remember having a hard time playing Giants Citizen Kabuto (Was on my list) for laughing so much that I had tears in my eyes at the cutscenes.

https://youtu.be/eV3Y-GYFY3s?t=1m5s

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Or a "Games I can see why other's like, but totally don't fit my bill."

That could work, "Games people say that are great, but they are all wrong"

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Binding of Isaac is like the perfect example of a game that is perfectly designed against what I value. ****ing instant death when walking into a room does not inspire continued playing. A high skill "many runs" game should not be giving me game-overs on account of it's own dice rolls. I say this as someone who thinks one-hit KOs are fine. There has to be some way to have a chance to mitigate against such things, even if it requires initial failure. Instant death after loading is so dumb for a game that is designed around being hard but then growing to be OP. It's just lame. It's a game that becomes lamer the stronger you get. It's the opposite of the Souls games imo.

Or a "Games I can see why other's like, but totally don't fit my bill."

That could work, "Games people say that are great, but they are all wrong"

Just look again at that Top 100. It's the epitome of that. I know you like all the games which made it there, but its clear, that you all are wrong!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Now we need a comparison list in the form of "100 games that had the greatest potential but totally fluffed the bar."  ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have to say though, that I am really dissapointed in the voters here. Not one racing game or sim on that list!

I'll have you know Test Drive Unlimited was on my list! It's not a sim, but it's still a race game (most sims are either console exclusive, don't play well without a wheel or have other issues and thus didn't make the cut)

As far as games that I'm disappointed didn't make it. RTS fans really should check out Warzone 2100, it's free (the devs open sourced it when they went under) and still in development by the community (also, it runs on Linux). It was one of the first 3D RTS games back in the day (beaten only by some terrible game nobody remembers). Just a little warning that the "new" AI can really brutalize you, if you want to start off easier you might want to stick to classic until you get a grip on mechanics.

Couple of things to note: the campaign videos are a separate download (originally due to copyright, nowadays the reason is simply download size I think). You probably want those if you intend to play through the campaign. (edit: installer can now download those for you, so that's nice)

The game's relatively slow paced (which I personally like) and had some innovative mechanics (for the time at least) like "commander units" that controlled those under their command and true LoS (LoS affected by elevation etc.)

Edited by marelooke

All of the Bethesda games

That could work. Also, many (most?) of the Total War games.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think the only game I bought that seriously disappointed me, vs. just being "meh, oh well whatever", was Spore. I was expecting .... something completely different, is all.

Bethesda games at this point I always buy with low expectations for my personal tastes and usually because I'm bored so what the hey why not. They usually have some fun to be had, but they don't generally make games that I find very engaging or immersive and thus I have yet to even come close to finishing one. I'm pretty sure I never even finished Morrowind's plot, and I played/enjoyed that one longest, for non-plot reasons.

Edit: oh wait, I suppose release-Diablo 3 was a pretty large disappointment but I did play it for quite some hours despite that, mostly because I was trying very hard to like it.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think the only game I bought that seriously disappointed me, vs. just being "meh, oh well whatever", was Spore. I was expecting .... something completely different, is all.

You and me both. It will definitely be on my list. After having watched Robin Williams play it on E3 2006, it was a huge let-down:

[Youtube]

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I feel like if CA invested in a Total Re-engineering effort, and truly modernized both their engine, the core of their real-time combat, and the core of their over map ("4x-lite") into a better realized 4x game. Then they could have one of the greatest strategy games of all time.

With each game it seems like they are buying a new fashion wardrobe, and slapping on the seasonal lipstick. But it could be so much more.

• Like 1

Since the official list is out, I thought I'd throw my list out (not that anyone cares):

2. Tactics Ogre (1995: Quest, Atlus) 8pts

3. Dragon Force (1996: J-Force, SEGA, Working Designs) 8pts

19. Shining Force II (1993: Sonic, SEGA) 4pts

Here to me the struggle with Langrisser III, Shining Force III and Dragon Force II was real.

Nice to see them mentioned :)

Edited by Huinehtar

I have to say though, that I am really dissapointed in the voters here. Not one racing game or sim on that list!

I'll have you know Test Drive Unlimited was on my list! It's not a sim, but it's still a race game (most sims are either console exclusive, don't play well without a wheel or have other issues and thus didn't make the cut)

I loved that game, could've made the list, but I haven't played it in a few years unlike Richard Burns Rally. TDU2 was a real letdown though, no wheel support to speak of.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I feel like if CA invested in a Total Re-engineering effort, and truly modernized both their engine, the core of their real-time combat, and the core of their over map ("4x-lite") into a better realized 4x game. Then they could have one of the greatest strategy games of all time.

With each game it seems like they are buying a new fashion wardrobe, and slapping on the seasonal lipstick. But it could be so much more.

I don't know what "modernise" means, though. What exact changes are we talking about, and how will that make the games better? 

I agree that they keep making the same freaking game over and over again, and never fixing the stuff that was wrong 3 iterations ago. But part of this is also down to how 'modernising' from a Risk-style map to a 3D map introduced so many problems while not really providing any improvements. I would say that returning to a Risk style map would actually allow them to provide more complexity (as you say, evolving from a 4x-lite). In combat, the graphics are already more than pretty enough - and again it might be that introducing a bit more constraint into the system will allow the AI to perform better and tactics to become more meaningful.

I loved that game, could've made the list, but I haven't played it in a few years unlike Richard Burns Rally. TDU2 was a real letdown though, no wheel support to speak of.

TDU servers were shut down, unfortunately and converting a save to offline requires messing with hex editors and the like.. Also lost my TDU2 account and support is dead for that game (not that it matters too much, there was more wrong than good with the game, starting with the handling)

Man, how I wish someone would make a game with that scope again, with some semi-realistic handling at least. Not the pure arcade stuff we got in stuff like "The Crew", but more like Forza Horizon, but with a big map for a change.

Edited by marelooke

Man I would love to have "Open World" racing game, with Project CARS or Gran Turismo physics... Would probably never happen :(

Anyway, at some point I have heard, that makers of Project CARS series got some movie license for their next game (rumours says it's Fast and Furious). So there is still some hope for that kind of game. Unless they make it complete arcadey, which given the F&F rumour might be the case :/

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Dragon's Dogma was a great choice, one that I regretted not putting on my list.

I played the Bruce Lee game on the Xbox (very different one) but refunded it as it was very glitchy and animation was a bit choppy :(

There were alot of great games on Xbox though, ones which I forget the names to but yet have had some impact on memory at least. I hop they release a Xbox mini in the future because I'd buy it. While Xbox One has X360 backwards compatibility, I know it will never play the OG Xbox games I used to play, the very niche ones.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Seconded...

Black & White, Diablo 3 prior to Reaper of Souls, WoW: Cataclysm, all of the StarCraft 2 campaigns and Hellgate: London aaaaand... Halo. Or make that Bungie shooters in general, I've tried the free Destiny 2 trial recently, reached level 2 and quit. For good. There's something about their games that just isn't for me.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

TDU servers were shut down, unfortunately and converting a save to offline requires messing with hex editors and the like.. Also lost my TDU2 account and support is dead for that game (not that it matters too much, there was more wrong than good with the game, starting with the handling)

Man, how I wish someone would make a game with that scope again, with some semi-realistic handling at least. Not the pure arcade stuff we got in stuff like "The Crew", but more like Forza Horizon, but with a big map for a change.

Yeah, it's a shame, I had tonnes of fun with that game. I really loved the race around the island. Keeping on your toes for that long was a bit of a challenge, and you never really knew what was going to happen. :)

Never tried Forza, but I thought that TDU had a pretty decent balance in handling.