The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games - FULL RESULTS!

algroth

There's actually one surprise to me in the entire list ( double checked, so unless I'm going even more insane and/or Firefox'  search function is broken...).

No mention of Jade Empire, did we all just manage to forget about it, or ... ?

Jade Empire got two votes, but a total of five points so it didn't make the cut (you were one, eimatshya was the other voter with one point).

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Here's the games that nearly made the cut:

Sid Meier’s Civilization VI (Firaxis Games, 2016) - 9 (ShadySands (4), evilcat (5),
Sunless Sea (Failbetter Games, 2015) – 9 (Fenixp (5), Epaminondas (4),

Prey (Arkane Studios, 2017) – 9 (Fenixp (5), marelooke (4),
Divinity II: Ego Draconis (Larian Studios, 2009) – 9 (SonicMage 117 (5), marelooke (4),

Day of the Tentacle (LucasArts, 1993) – 9 (Humanoid (5), Huinehtar (4),

Bastion (Supergiant Games, 2011) – 9 (algroth (3), Wormerine (6),

Freelancer (Digital Anvil, 2003) - 9 (melkathi (3), Azdeus (6),
MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (FASA Studio, 2002) - 9 (ShadySands (7), Azdeus (2),

Elite (David Braben and Ian Bell, 1984) – 9 (Zoraptor (8 ), FlintlockJazz (1),
Final Fantasy VII (Square, 1997) - 9 (melkathi  (6), FlintlockJazz (3),

Rome: Total War (The Creative Assembly, 2004) – 8 (Leferd (5), evilcat (3),

F-19 Stealth Fighter (MicroProse, 1988) – 8 (Malcador (5), Humanoid (3),

Endless Legend (Amplitude Studios, 2014) – 8 (Fenixp (5), FlintlockJazz (3),
Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady Studios, 2015) – 8 (SonicMage 117 (5), SadExchange (3),
Mad Max (Avalanche Studios, 2015) – 8 (SonicMage 117 (5), SadExchange (3),
Age of Mythology (Ensemble Studios, 2002) – 8 (injurai (5), SadExchange (3),
Street Fighter 2 (Capcom, 1991) – 7 (Leferd (5), Pidesco (2),

XCOM 2 (Firaxis Games, 2016) – 7 (Hurlshot (2), evilcat (5),

Beyond Good & Evil (Ubisoft Montpellier, 2003) - 7 (Pidesco (2), TrueNeutral (5),

Dead Space (EA Redwood Shores, 2008) – 7 (marelooke (4), Zoraptor (3),

Donkey Kong Country (Rare, 1994) – 7 (Katphood (4), Humanoid (3),
Divinity: Original Sin (Larian Studios, 2014) – 7 (Zoraptor (3), FlintlockJazz (4),

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo EAD, 1998) – 6 (Bartimaeus (5), algroth (1),
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (Blue Sky Productions, 1992) – 6 (IndiraLightfoot (3), Jozape (3),

Outcast (Appeal, 1999) – 6 (Zoraptor (3), Fiasco (3),
Jade Empire (BioWare, 2005) - 5 (eimatshya (1), marelooke (4),

King's Bounty: The Legend (Katauri Interactive, 2008) - 5 (Pidesco (2), Zoraptor (3),

Spelunky (Mossmouth LLC, 2008) - 5 (Pidesco (2), Wormerine (3),

Metro 2033 (4A Games, 2010) – 5 (marelooke (4), Azdeus (1),
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Starbreeze Studios, 2013) – 4 (algroth (3), Wormerine (1),

Mafia (Illusion Softworks, 2002) – 3 (Wormerine (1), Azdeus (2),

Edited by algroth
  • Like 5

I tried my hand at Vampire like 12 years too late. The game was barely playable for technical reasons, but I have a feeling it would be a game that I'd really love. I hope Obsidian's secret project is something along that game in atmosphere and design. :)

All in all, a very cool list!

I haven't played it yet myself. I admit that I've always been dissuaded from playing it because of how big of a red flag the "vampire underworld" setting is for me. I hope - and partly expect - to be wrong about all my preconceptions, and at the very least this poll has definitely made me consider that I should perhaps check it out... But I'm not entirely certain when I'll get around to it.

I think you have to be into the universe and possibly be into the underdog tale of Troika to really appreciate the game. The writing is great, the characters are great, and there is a lot of customization and choice. Many different ways to play the game just by choosing your race or species or whatever. Unfortunately the game is very buggy and unfinished in some aspects -- even with unofficial patches -- or at least it was 6 or 7 years ago. Personally I don't care for the setting and was let down by the bugged and unfinished state of the game so I only played the game once.

My suspicions were berry close :)

No complaints here, it's as was foretold hehe

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

algroth, did you post your list?

I didn't, but here it is:

Planescape: Torment (Black Isle Studios, 1999) - 14

Baldur's Gate II (BioWare, 2000) - 12

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (Obsidian Entertainment, 2007) - 10

Bioshock (2K Boston and 2K Australia, 2007) - 7

Fallout 2 (Black Isle, 1998) - 7

Portal (Valve Corporation, 2007) - 7

Undertale (Toby Fox, 2015) - 7

Okami (Clover Studio, 2006) - 7

Grim Fandango (LucasArts, 1998) - 7

Half-Life 2 (Valve Corporation, 2004) - 6

Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo EAD Tokyo, 2007) - 6

Shadow of the Colossus (SIE Japan Studio and Team Ico, 2005) - 6

Pillars of Eternity (Obsidian Entertainment, 2015) - 6

Icewind Dale (Black Isle Studios, 2000) - 5

Bastion (Supergiant Games, 2011) - 3

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Starbreeze Studios, 2013) - 3

DOOM 2 (id Software, 1994) - 2

Half-Life (Valve Corporation, 1999) - 2

Inside (Playdead, 2016) - 2

Pokémon Gold/Silver (Game Freak, 2000) - 1

Katamari Damacy (Namco, 2004) - 1

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo EAD, 1998) - 1

Pokémon: Platinum Edition (Game Freak, 2008) - 1

Icewind Dale II (Black Isle Studios, 2002) - 1

Papers, Please (3909 LLC, 2013) - 1

I admit that the list did peter out a bit for me towards the end. There's a number of games I felt I could have included but didn't simply because it's been so long since I last played them, and I feel I would only be relying on my memory/nostalgia for their inclusion. There's a few games I ought to check out from this list, and I intend to before the year's done. We'll see how the list looks then too. :grin:

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

I'm a little shocked Ocarina of Time didn't get more than two votes (one from myself), especially seeing as Majora's Mask made it onto this list. Ocarina of Time is like the epitome of a classic (3D) adventure game to me, mixing high fantasy, dark fantasy, and even a little horror at times with very solid gameplay (its biggest flaw probably being how relatively simple and easy the actual sword-fighting is these days compared to other games). It also has pretty fantastic music, very much noted for its catchiness.

5f24cf0ed79a263872c94afd38f26136.jpg

how can anybody say no to these two beautiful faces

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm a little shocked Ocarina of Time didn't get more than two votes (one from myself), especially seeing as Majora's Mask made it onto this list. Ocarina of Time is like the epitome of an adventure game, mixing high fantasy and dark fantasy and even a little horror at times.

5f24cf0ed79a263872c94afd38f26136.jpg

how can anybody say no to these two beautiful faces

I'm actually a little shocked that Shadow of the Colossus go *NO* votes aside from my own, considering its history/reputation. Then again I reckon most of these games suffered simply from being console exclusive. Many other Playstation and Nintendo classics got barely a mention or none at all. Another I'm surprised got absolutely no votes is The Last of Us for example.

Yup, despite a lot of people here are having consoles as well, including me, this board is heavily PC-centric, which is absolutely no surprise to me. The only one surprise to me is, that no Final Fantasy made onto top 100.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Yup, despite a lot of people here are having consoles as well, including me, this board is heavily PC-centric, which is absolutely no surprise to me. The only one surprise to me is, that no Final Fantasy made onto top 100.

Well, two have: IV at #81, and Tactics at #60. On my behalf I admit I'm quite glad since I've never been a fan of the saga. :p

I'm a little shocked Ocarina of Time didn't get more than two votes (one from myself), especially seeing as Majora's Mask made it onto this list. 

I always preferred the dark and weird tone of Majora's Mask. In my opinion it did a whole lot more compared to OoT.

EDIT: I decided to choose only one game per franchise so that the competition would be swift and merciless.  :geek:

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Well, two have: IV at #81, and Tactics at #60. On my behalf I admit I'm quite glad since I've never been a fan of the saga. :p

Oh, must have missed the number VI, and FFT is good game but by no means a true Final Fantasy IMO :p

*runs away from the angry pitchfork wielding mob*

And consider this one as obligatory "Your list is complete, utter bull-manure and sucks walrus balls, without Final Fantasy being in top 10" post. Because nobody has posted how much your list sucks yet and I just could not bear the thought, that this would be the first ever Top100, without such a post posted within few hours after making it public :p

Just look on the first three posts. Two of them are saying how cool your list is... It's so wrong on so many levels, that it broke whole internet for few minutes!!!!!

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The biggest flaw of Ocarina of Time for me is that so much of the game is waiting, at least Majora's Mask gave us the song of double time. Meanwhile Skyward Sword is just too long. That's probably true about Twilight Princess as well, but I haven't played that one since it came out on Gamecube. While I was able to replay Super Mario 64 and The Hyrule Fantasy last year, I wasn't able to get far in Ocarina of Time, not when there are other game I enjoy more. To be fair, the only time i beat Ocarina it was the Master Quest. I think I missed out on Super Mario Galaxy as well, I played that last year as well and put it away not long after the final boss. I need to get a hold of the sequel sometime. Maybe I'll like it more, or maybe one just had to be there and I wasn't.

I tried my hand at Vampire like 12 years too late. The game was barely playable for technical reasons, but I have a feeling it would be a game that I'd really love. I hope Obsidian's secret project is something along that game in atmosphere and design. :)

All in all, a very cool list!

I haven't played it yet myself. I admit that I've always been dissuaded from playing it because of how big of a red flag the "vampire underworld" setting is for me. I hope - and partly expect - to be wrong about all my preconceptions, and at the very least this poll has definitely made me consider that I should perhaps check it out... But I'm not entirely certain when I'll get around to it.

I think you have to be into the universe and possibly be into the underdog tale of Troika to really appreciate the game. The writing is great, the characters are great, and there is a lot of customization and choice. Many different ways to play the game just by choosing your race or species or whatever. Unfortunately the game is very buggy and unfinished in some aspects -- even with unofficial patches -- or at least it was 6 or 7 years ago. Personally I don't care for the setting and was let down by the bugged and unfinished state of the game so I only played the game once.

If you do try playing it, it is worth downloading and running the fan mod/patch to it. A whole heap of the minor (and major) bugs get sorted by it.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Bloodlines is awesome. The mod that restores content and optimizes it for HD graphics is a must.

Plus, it was made with the Source Engine.

What's not to love? :)

• Like 3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...