The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games - FULL RESULTS!

algroth

The fact the KotOR 2 placed higher than Jagged Alliance 2 might be the greatest injustice in the history of injustices.

It's almost inevitable if we count # of votes over points, in an Obsidian / CRPG forum.

I'm still pleasantly surprised AP is so high.

• Like 1

I have as yet not played Alpha Protocol. It's supposed to be quite good. I would have liked to see New Vegas make it higher, but 8 is a decent showing. If I'm still a die hard Obsidian fan, it would only be because of MotB and New Vegas. I enjoyed Pillars quite a bit, but it was still disappointing. They kept the clichéd part of fantasy gaming, the elves, dwarves, and whatnot, and tinkered with the good part of fantasy gaming with combat that was too claustrophobic and rushed. It's a great system in theory, but simply lackluster in play and I'm certain was almost completely opaque to the majority of gamers. Didn't stop my from throwing a few shekels at Pillars 2, but I haven't even been following the development. Still, the excitement of the Pillars 1 development campaign was an experience like no other.

I didn't vote for KotOR 2 because it really dropped off. Fun experience, and much more suspenseful and grim than 1, but not up there in the top 25.

Looks like we get down to the same ol same ol of duking it out between Fallout or Fallout 2 being better, but there's no guarantee that either one will be the top dog in this particular list.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

I tried Jagged Alliance 2 at the advice of a friend probably around...8 or 9 years ago. About twenty minutes in, I had a seizure (the first I'd ever had, as a matter of fact). I never got back to JA2 after that - I ended up reformatting my computer some months later without saving it or ever even turning it back on again. But anyways, the moral of the story is, JA2 gets #1 on my "worst games of all time" for being the only game to ever literally give me a seizure. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Alpha Protocol! :cat: Woo!

Yeah, I have never played a Jagged Alliance game either.

It's close enough to the end, so have a list:

3 The Ledgend of Zelda (1983) - Nintendo Research & Development 4

7 Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) - Sonic Team

4 Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991) - LucasArts

7 Daytona USA (1993) - Sega AM2

2 One Must Fall: 2097 (1994) - Diversions Entertainment

10 Doom II: Hell on Earth (1994) - id Software

5 Hexen: Beyond Heretic (1995) - Raven Software

6 Strife (1996) - Rogue Entertainment

3 The Elder Scrolls Chapter II: Daggerfall (1996) - Bedestha Softworks

2 Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (1998) - Orange Games

5 Ape Escape (1999) - SCE Japan Studio

5 Icewind Dale (2000) - Black Isle Studios

1 Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (2001) - Konami Computer Entertainment Kobe

1 Neverwinter Nights (2002) - Bioware

8 Seiklus (2003) - cly5m

3 Second Life (2003) - Linden Lab

6 Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (2004) - Troika Games

5 Dungeons & Dragons Tactics (2007) - Kuju Entertainment

6 Kyntt Stories (2007) - Nifflas

8 Zeno Clash (2009) - ACE Team

9 Alpha Protocol (2010) - Obsidian Entertainment

4 Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (2012) - Black Forest Games

5 Chip's Challenge 2 (2015) - Niffler Ltd.

4 Melody's Escape (2016) - Icetesy SPRL

6 Carrie's Order Up! (2016) - Ink Dragon Works

Indeed, despite our combined efforts it wasn't enough. I suspect foul play, someone must've deleted the mails sent to algroth.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Alpha Protocol being so high :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Clearly my many enemies here made sure JA2 didn't get the top spot just to spite me.

Indeed, despite our combined efforts it wasn't enough. I suspect foul play, someone must've deleted the mails sent to algroth.

Conspiracy is the only reasonable explanation.  I suspect Deidranna Reitman is involved somehow.

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm surprised that a few of the games on my list actually made it. I never thought the members on here shared a common taste in gaming as me... Perhaps I misjudged them, I learned something new from this. Thank you...

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Clearly my many enemies here made sure JA2 didn't get the top spot just to spite me.

Conspiracy is the only reasonable explanation.  I suspect Deidranna Reitman is involved somehow.

We need to contact Enrico Chivaldori somehow, I know he will help.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Nope, not really, but thanks for asking! :)

Okay, for real, I've only played Stalker (which I voted for) and Civilization 4 out of those. I've always thought at least the last 3-4 Civilization games (i.e. the ones I've actually tried) were too deeply flawed to be deserving on a best games list, but uh, I guess people disagree! :p

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. actually... I haven't played it myself but was all the same surprised by the high placing in the list, and slightly curious even though I've never been a huge fan of survival horror games (which I understand the game is? I could be wrong).

You didn't ask me, but I ain't letting that stop me ;)

I never considered the Stalker games to be survival horror, really (unless you'd also consider the Metro 2033 games such, I guess). But rather greatly flawed open world shooters (well, very large maps at least) in a very interesting setting and with really great atmosphere. There's definitely some survival elements (eg. you need to eat, bleeding requires bandages, weapons can jam if not well maintained, etc) but it never got near Metro 2033 levels of "AAAAAA I'm out of air filters" levels (which I only ever had in the 2nd Metro game, but that's neither here nor there ;)).

That said, the mutants created some really really tense situations so I get where the "horror" idea comes from, especially when dealing with specific areas, but really most of the time you're dealing with humans of some faction. I also kind of liked the story, though the pacing near the end in the first game was really off (you're slowly acquiring better weapons until suddenly they throw the entire arsenal at you and send you on the final mission...)

I'd also argue the first game really *needs* some form of mods to make it enjoyable at the very least a mod that allows armor/weapon repair since they kinda forgot about that in the base game. Not that it's not completable in the original state (I completed it like that, after all) but having to drag a spare armour or gun around (or having to throw it away at some point) instead of being able to repair it at some faction camp is kinda...meh.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 4

Thanks for responding for me - I had planned to respond, but wasn't sure at the time how to, and then forgot algroth had asked me. It is definitely one of the more flawed games that I adore, but I do still adore it for its unique combination of setting and gameplay elements.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I have a feeling Baldurs Gate 2 will take no.1 spot. With Planescape Torment in either 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The final update is up, and with it the list is complete! Obviously we'll have to, err, do some revisions as apparently a glitch allowed there to be two no. 1s, and clearly Quest 64 is the more deserving title. But all the same, Planescape: Torment is the winner with three votes above the second place, which has gone over to Baldur's Gate II. Thanks to everyone who's taken part once more, and I hope you've enjoyed! Now let us bitch and moan about how *wrong* the whole list is. :p

• Like 9

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

It was fun, few surprises made up in the final list. :)

For the curious ones, here my own list:

[ 01-05 ] 7 points
# Planescape: Torment                                                                        Black Isle Studios      1999
# Emperor: Battle for Dune                                                                   Westwood Studios        2001
# Fallout                                                                                    Interplay               1997
# Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive                                                          Access                  1996
# King of Dragon Pass                                                                        A Sharp                 1999

[ 06-10 ] 6 points
# Dune                                                                                       Cryo                    1992
# Pride of Nations                                                                           AGEOD                   2011
# Shining Force III                                                                          Camelot/Sonic/SEGA      1997-1998
# Celtic Tales: Balor of the Evil Eye                                                        KOEI                    1995
# Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri                                                                 Firaxis                 1999

[ 11-15 ] 5 points
# Europa Universalis II                                                                      Paradox Ent.            2002
# Dragon Force II: Kami Sarishi Daichi ni                                                    Chime/ALU/SEGA          1998
# Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Grey Wolf [Aoki Ôkami to Shiroki Mejika: Genchou Hishi]       KOEI                    1992
# Exhumed [Powerslave]                                                                       Lobotomy                1996
# Panzer Dragoon Saga [Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG]                                              Team Andromeda/SEGA     1998

[ 16-20 ] 4 points
# Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle                                                        LucasArts               1993
# Starflight                                                                                 Binary Systems          1986
# Guardian Heroes                                                                            Treasure                1996
# Langrisser III                                                                             Career/NCS/Masaya       1996
# Real Bout Fatal Fury Special [Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special]                            SNK                     1997

[ 21-25 ] 3 points
# S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl                                                        GSC Game World          2007
# Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!?                                                        Perfect                 1996
# Gary Grigsby's Pacific War                                                                 SSI                     1992
# Samurai Shodown III: Blades of Blood [samurai Spirits Zankurou Musouken]                   SNK                     1995
# The Seven Cities of Gold                                                                   Ozark                   1984

• Like 2

I tried my hand at Vampire like 12 years too late. The game was barely playable for technical reasons, but I have a feeling it would be a game that I'd really love. I hope Obsidian's secret project is something along that game in atmosphere and design. :)

All in all, a very cool list!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I tried my hand at Vampire like 12 years too late. The game was barely playable for technical reasons, but I have a feeling it would be a game that I'd really love. I hope Obsidian's secret project is something along that game in atmosphere and design. :)

All in all, a very cool list!

I haven't played it yet myself. I admit that I've always been dissuaded from playing it because of how big of a red flag the "vampire underworld" setting is for me. I hope - and partly expect - to be wrong about all my preconceptions, and at the very least this poll has definitely made me consider that I should perhaps check it out... But I'm not entirely certain when I'll get around to it.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

There's actually one surprise to me in the entire list ( double checked, so unless I'm going even more insane and/or Firefox'  search function is broken...).

No mention of Jade Empire, did we all just manage to forget about it, or ... ?