The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games - FULL RESULTS!

algroth

I found Temple of Doom more enjoyable than the third, and Fate of Atlantis is one of the best LucasArts adventure games.

I have some regerts with my list too. Nice to see Doom II at the midway point on an RPG forum though. Can't wait to see how Alpha Protocol does.

I did play some of Hyper Light Drifter, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants more Hyrule Fantasy, that's what Zelda Classic is for.

I need to get back to Shadowrun Returns as well, got to the matrix. I'm having a hard time finishing NWN2 right now though; too busy playing my Doom II backlog.

Wait, was there a game picked by just 1 person? So far 106. is 2 voters.

I am very certain I have games on my list only I voted for.

Ditto. Then again I knew that going into it that there were going to be some that I'd probably be the only person who voted for it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

In hindsight maybe limiting to one game per developer isn't the best method to reducing a list. But with my taste, it matters not. I predict seeing at least one more of my picks down the road, but I'm just waiting for that number one slot. Good chance it's something I've played. I think this community vote would be interesting to see what the users of Doomworld think are the best megawads.

The two who voted for Dungeon Keeper 1 get +10 in my book. ;)

...placement is about right for my tastes, too. I mean I personally love that game to death but it shouldn't be anywhere near the top of a 100.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Echoing melkathi earlier, I do have to admit that I'm at a bit of a loss about why Diablo II has the reputation it has. Granted, I haven't played it in 15 years at least, but it's one of my go-to examples of combat taken to the extremes of repetitive, grindy tedium. That game was practically a Sisyphean task for me, with little to nothing in the way of story or themes or atmosphere or payoff to any of my efforts - in time it's sort of embodied in my mind many attitudes towards game design that I loathe and stand against. Not that I have anything against those that voted for it, but I'm curious to hear their side about it.

• Like 3

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

A list like this will never have any consistent set of standards - it's possible for a game almost everybody finds piss poor to have a special place in two people's hearts and get a place. 

Diablo II, in my view, is an incredibly slick, addictive, fine-tuned experience in multiplayer loot grinding. As a single player game, the hollowness of that "one more loot drop" experience becomes clearer to see, but the incredible FMVs, music, and the magical perfection of Pavlovian stimuli was enough for some people to love the SP as well.

• Like 2

I loved the single player in Diablo 2 and, in fact, almost preferred to play it alone. That was never true of Diablo, where I would always get lan parties going to play. I remember one time there were... five? Maybe four of us all together in the dining room together playing Diablo. Diablo 2 had a lot going for it. Diablo 3, however, I detest with an inhuman intensity and I wish I hadn't bought it.

I'm sad that the only game I voted to the list is Blood Money so far. A lot of games that were really close, but the only one I voted in so far is Blood Money. I thought maybe X-com, but it was the remake, not the original.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

I'm sad that the only game I voted to the list is Blood Money so far. A lot of games that were really close, but the only one I voted in so far is Blood Money. I thought maybe X-com, but it was the remake, not the original.

Don't give up just yet. ;) And by I that I do mean, 'look at the new update'. ;)

With this update, we get our first appearance by Black Isle, our second appearance by Obsidian, and also our first appearance by everyone's favorite devs, BioWare. 1_0_by_babblingfaces-dbdhcc6.png Also I do realize the cover for Heroes of Might and Magic III is for the HD edition, but, er, can you blame me? :grin:

Bioshock! Nice. Also, I thought I HalfLife 2 in my list. Must have been the first one I included, but 2 is probably better so it should have gotten the nod. Then there's Heroes of Might and Magic III, which probably should have taken the place of one of the three submissions I made for Might and Magic titles. Three RPGs and no Heroes was something with which I struggled and I'm still not sure I made the right choice. I wasn't a fan of Ultima VII, but I was a huge fan of the earlier ones and Quest for the Avatar deserved a place on my list. If there deficiencies in my judgment, it's good to see there are others to smooth out the wrinkles.

χαίρετε

I meant to vote for HoMM III but messed up and voted for HoMM IX or something weird like that, so nice to see it placed highly.

Life is Strange is probably the first game on this thing I know very little about. Honestly it doesn't look like my cup of tea, but everything else on the list is so good.

Life is Strange is probably the first game on this thing I know very little about. Honestly it doesn't look like my cup of tea, but everything else on the list is so good.

I wasn't a fan myself. There's something about the "indie game teenage protagonist" that really rubs me the wrong way. I recall a number of complaints back when Juno came out about the way the character spoke, as if it were a senior comittee's idea of how teenagers were instead; and yet it feels all too often like it's this very film that acts as a blueprint for so many of these characters. I mentioned Oxenfree before, that's another game that recently struck me the same way (alongside other obvious Chloe parallels), as well as Night in the Woods for example. I also felt the story was a little trite and the consequence of choice rather poorly handled. My personal experience with it, however.

Edited by algroth

Funny to see Red Alert 2 just before Warcraft III. I guess the old 2002 war between Westwood's and Blizzard's fans isn't over. :grin:

Though, the more I see from new updates of the list, the more I think that, for many games of mine, I would have been the only one to note them.

@Life Is Strange: It had contrived choice dichotomies, the consequences were almost entirely nonexistent, real bad face animations (kind of a big deal for the type of game it is), some characters were written really weirdly (or poorly) at some of the worst times, and some other problems...BUT I still bought into it while playing for various other reasons, and was rewarded with a very unique and strangely fun experience. Life Is Strange is not a game you can probably play casually - I waited a year-plus to be in the right mood to try it out, and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't, I wouldn't have liked the game at all. I'm sort of the same way with movies...which makes sense, since LIS is basically just a mildly interactive movie-game.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Gosh, it really paid off giving my favourite games as many points as I could, seeing NWN1 at #40 and NWN2 at #33, this wouldn't have happened if I didn't carry them there! :yes:

I reckon they deserve to be higher up the rungs than - the same goes for Ultima VII. Still, IIRC, people have voted separately for MotB, so we'll see. 

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

My list for the poll was like this (as if anyone cares :p ), and there is helluva lot of great games that didn't make it, but naming them here and now does not make sense (Spellforce anyone?):

TIER I - 1 point for each game

• Heroes of Might and Magic 3, 1999, New World Computing
  • Descent, 1995, Parallax Software
  • Fallout Tactics, 2001, Micro Forté
  • Mass Effect 2, 2010, BioWare
  • Rayman 2: The Great Escape, 1999, Ubisoft

TIER II - 3 points for each game

• Fallout, 1997, Interplay
  • Baldur's Gate, 1998, BioWare
  • Icewind Dale, 2000, Black Isle
  • Diablo 2, 2000, Blizzard
  • Torin's Passage, 1995, Sierra

TIER III - 5 points for each game

• WarCraft 3, 2002, Blizzard
  • Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit, 1998, EA
  • Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, 1998, Pyro Studios
  • Dragon Age: Origins, 2009, BioWare
  • Halo: Combat Evolved, 2001, Bungie

TIER IV - 7 points for each game

• Unreal Tournament 2003, 2002, Epic Games
  • Worms Armageddon, 1999, Team 17
  • Pillars of Eternity, 2015, Obsidian Entertainment
  • Planescape: Torment, 1999, Black Isle
  • StarCraft, 1998, Blizzard

TIER V - 9 points for each game

• Fallout 2, 1997, Black Isle
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, 2000, BioWare
  • Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, 2015, CD Projekt RED
  • Age of Wonders 3, 2014, Triumph Studios
  • Fallout New Vegas, 2010, Obsidian Entertainment
Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Life is Strange is a niche game, big deal is that it is different from standard gaming. It is adventure genre in times when such games are very rare.

It also offers different challenges and cotex than standard game. Not an another zombie open world game.

And it fells better when played once all episodes out.

Edited by evilcat