The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games - FULL RESULTS!

algroth

All know, that the greatest FF of all time is IX!!!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Wait, was there a game picked by just 1 person? So far 106. is 2 voters.

Quite a few. I haven't counted all of the games on the list, but I'm quite certain at least 300 didn't make the cut, having either been voted by one person, or by 2 but not gathering enough points to crack the top 100. Once the results have been fully revealed I might post the whole raw list as I have it on my document in the thread.
I would say a lot of my picks were picked only by me :p Due to huge backlog of games made after 2010 and because of my stranger taste in games. So far none of my picks have made it to the list :’(

But 4 games in my backlog and 1 runner up in the list :p

Edit: Oh and 2 on my GOG wishlist, which will end up on my backlog sooner or later :D

Which would those be? And I wouldn't lose hope on your choices making the list just yet. :p
Wishlisted Grim Dawn and Tyranny. Runner Up was Dune II. On Backlog System Shock, Grim Fandango, Bloodborne and Shaderun Hongkong.

And I know, that few of my games will hit pretty high, but I think of at least 7 of my games did not make it for sure :D (maybe even more) :D

Edited by Mamoulian War

Uh, whoops, my sort of whimsical final vote for Tetris actually helped get it a place on this list. Not that it's totally undeserved (seeing as it's sort of the - or at least a - grandfather of casual games), but still.

(edit): Also, games I considered voting for but decided against for various reasons that have currently shown up on this list: Majora's Mask, Hitman: Blood Money, Super Smash Bros., and Super Meat Boy, The latter two because I decided I simply didn't enjoy them enough for them to be deserving, the former two because while I did really enjoy them, MM had too many problems (especially for a game that was almost entirely recycled from bits and pieces of Ocarina of Time) to be deserving while Blood Money always had sort of that incomplete experience feeling to it (in its case, it was mechanically very satisfying, but lacking most everywhere else).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, usually with Tetris I can understand its importance and also find that the core mechanics hold up really well for a casual game after all these years. It's a "perfect" game in that regard, but also in the regard that it's not a game of very great artistic ambitions and thus there isn't even much room or risk for flaws in the first place. Whilst I can understand its relevance and following, I do feel like we've arrived to a point in the medium where we've done so much *more* as well. We may as well be listing The Arrival of a Train amidst the top 100 films ever made.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Yeah, and the funny thing is, I'm not really much into casual games at all (either as a genre, or as a method of playing). However, I do think there is a sort of beauty in something so simple: turn it on and immediately start playing with some decent music to go along with it, no complications. A bit like Solitaire or Mahjong in that regard, except faster-paced. If it were a game installed by default on Windows, I'd probably play it every once in a while while waiting for something to complete.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

There are some games in people's lists that just aren't my genre or style. Or not my platform.

This is true for me as well

My tastes have gotten much narrower as I've gotten older

Yes, and for me it is not just gameplay wise, but also theme-wise.

I'd say it'd be true for me too, with the exception of kinds of gameplay and themes I wasn't aware when I was younger, and now I Iike. That's the big plus of internet (some could say the "only one" with sarcasm :p) here: the awareness of genres, games, systems, platforms, when you had to pay a lot for magazines back in the day, because too many of them were specific to a kind of games, or systems etc. Thus the situation could easily put many interesting games off the radar.

So rewarding old games isn't necessarily nostalgia, since few have been played recently, and I have to admit, many games I liked when I was younger, I just can't go back. And to an extend, it applies to new games released recently that share a lot of their legacy, or are their "spiritual" or "factual" children. While other games have made many years to truly make me realize how deep they have "changed" me, or at least have defined the kind of gamer I am now.

So the making of my own list was very instructive on how things have changed during the times.

On another note, I'm glad to see other games I gave points, and games that would be in my 26-50th's list :p

Hey... I like Candy Crush, it's a pretty casual hardcore game, you don't need to pay to win or anything like that :)

Not bad to waste time when on break at work or something.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yeah, it's just that kind of game. Glad you enjoyed it like everyone else here did!! :)

• Like 1

Clearly GotM 20!

I don't know how I managed to play all of Quest 64 only to completely forget its plot, its mechanics, that dozens of hours were consumed by it or that it even existed.

I'm sure glad I put so many points into it though.

I've never heard of it. Is it unpopular?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

The Steam awards have been doing a phenomenal job this year, no bs alert - even non-Steam users will agree. Glad to be a part of both this one and the Steam's.

Happy New Year, guys! To start off the year on the right foot, here's a new batch for you on New Year's Eve. On a personal note, the game I've played here I've quite liked, and even voted for one of them - there's also a couple that I'm meaning to check out soon; yet all the same, I have to say that some of these covers are butt-ugly, and not for a lack of trying to find something better for them. Jesus, were the late 90s and 00s a terrible time for game cover design.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

You gave it 100 votes ;)

This guy gets it. :p

The Steam awards have been doing a phenomenal job this year, no bs alert - even non-Steam users will agree. Glad to be a part of both this one and the Steam's.

If you look at the latest category (Whoa Dude 2.0), two totally unknown indie games called Luna and CPU Invaders, with 13 and 78 reviews on Steam respectively (and with no presence on any other platform from what I can tell), somehow were nominated by popular vote. Pretty sure it's been gamed in some manner, and I'm kind of shocked Valve did not see it. The good ol' hands-off approach strikes again...

As for the new results...Hm, I'm constantly surprised Titan Quest gets as much love as it has over the years, given its terrible initial release and the fact that it was...uh, kind of mediocre, it seemed to me. And I say that as someone who loves the Greek mythological setting... Besides that, I should play Thief someday.

• Like 2

The support for Titan Quest really helps it, since it's still getting patches and expansions it stays in people's minds longer.

Bit disappointed Thief 2 is so low, but I'd guess its votes will be split with Thief TDP. So far I think System Shock and Thief 2 have made it from my list.

• Like 2

I have to say that some of these covers are butt-ugly, and not for a lack of trying to find something better for them. Jesus, were the late 90s and 00s a terrible time for game cover design.

There's a few different categories here: ones that are good or at least decent for some reason or another (visually striking and/or giving an accurate/good impression of the game for the most part), and then there are ones that are just poorly composed, ones that are simply dull as could be, and ones that don't give any sort of meaningful impression of the game...and then there are the ones that fall into two or all three of those categories. So far, I think the worst of the bunch are Goldeneye, The Longest Journey (good lord those early 3D graphics did not age well), Dragon's Dogma (could you get any more boring than this?), Tetris, The Pandora Directive, and maybe Grim Dawn. Bloodborne bothers me a bit, too, because it would've been much better without that dummy right in the middle of an otherwise mildly interesting-looking composition - with his back turned, no less. I guess that sort of thing is an industry standard now, though... Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Well now I feel like replaying both Freespace games. And yes, everybody needs to give Thief games a proper go - masterful examples of level design and insanely ahead of its time... Like anything by Looking Glass, really.

• Like 1