The Obsidian Community all-time top 106 games - FULL RESULTS!

algroth

Great job, algroth. This is truly impressive. So far, I've seen a few titles (at least two) that were on my almost list. In fact, Grim Fandango was such a great game. Probably the best game I never finished and I'm tempted to find a copy that will work on my computer and play it again only to finish it this time.

This list did more than engender discussion. The best thing about this board is finding game suggestions from people who are willing to explain their opinions and defend their choices. I use this board regularly for precisely such a purpose.

I don't want these comments to be seen as some sort of response to Malcador. For all I know, as algroth himself owns as a possibility, he was making a comment tongue in cheek. I'd planned on making this post earlier this morning but I was busy doing things.

χαίρετε

I mean, if anyone ever thought these kinds of lists are supposed to be a perfect representation of 'objective quality' or even the tastes of the forum, then they're barking up the wrong tree. Never going to happen. 

The nice thing, as epaminondas says, is that you can scroll through it and maybe find a couple of games you might like to try, and at least the recommender & recommendee is united by a shared taste in Obsidian games (maybe?). The same cannot be said for game mag lists that are like some badly tuned algorithm lifting random titles off the year's biggest advertisements.

• Like 3

It's purpose was to have fun.

Well the comment about a list being BS is mandatory anytime anyone posts one :p
  • Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One thing I've noticed with the poll is that, contrary to the music and film polls I've done before in other forums where I had already watched or listened to most of the items that eventually made the results, in this one I can say that I've only played about half of the games in the list, if even that. I'm not sure if the same is true for anyone else, or if I'm just a n00b/pleb/filthy casual/whatever other moniker applies. Which I am all that too, mind you. :p

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Yeah, we should burn console titles! Burn them! Burn them all!

:cough cough: ahem. I mean, all genres, styles, platforms, and crazy assed graphics with swords two sizes larger than the pencil thin chicks wielding them are equally valid, but not necessarily to my tastes.

χαίρετε

Yes, and for me it is not just gameplay wise, but also theme-wise.

I keep meaning to buy the Overlord games cheap on sale. But I just can't farm sheep and seal cubs for mana. The lol-value of certain things no longer appeals to me. I think soon I run the danger of stopping playing violent games altogether :wacko:

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

There's still hope as long as you don't pull out the ol' M1 and chase young hoodlums off your lawn. I mean, come on, some of us are older, but we're not that old. That being said, there are games actually quite high on my list that wouldn't have made it there now. Still, those games led me to the games I play today which, sadly, aren't really all that many.

χαίρετε

Wait, was there a game picked by just 1 person? So far 106. is 2 voters.

Quite a few. I haven't counted all of the games on the list, but I'm quite certain at least 300 didn't make the cut, having either been voted by one person, or by 2 but not gathering enough points to crack the top 100. Once the results have been fully revealed I might post the whole raw list as I have it on my document in the thread.

I would say a lot of my picks were picked only by me :p Due to huge backlog of games made after 2010 and because of my stranger taste in games. So far none of my picks have made it to the list :’(

But 4 games in my backlog and 1 runner up in the list :p

Edit: Oh and 2 on my GOG wishlist, which will end up on my backlog sooner or later :D

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Wait, was there a game picked by just 1 person? So far 106. is 2 voters.

Quite a few. I haven't counted all of the games on the list, but I'm quite certain at least 300 didn't make the cut, having either been voted by one person, or by 2 but not gathering enough points to crack the top 100. Once the results have been fully revealed I might post the whole raw list as I have it on my document in the thread.

I would say a lot of my picks were picked only by me :p Due to huge backlog of games made after 2010 and because of my stranger taste in games. So far none of my picks have made it to the list :’(

But 4 games in my backlog and 1 runner up in the list :p

Edit: Oh and 2 on my GOG wishlist, which will end up on my backlog sooner or later :D

Which would those be? And I wouldn't lose hope on your choices making the list just yet. :p

I totally torgot about Grim Fagdango, classic.

Awwwe :) Barty likes Undertale <3 I would have nevah guessed

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The trick to remember is that, if you have one game you *really* want to get in the list, then put all your points into it and give the rest one each. Completely lacking in scruples, but effective for your purposes.

True story here... There was one such person who tried it on the last poll I held, on a different forum, for the top 100 films. In that case I'd asked for 50 films and 250 points to split between them as they wished, and one of the members took the opportunity to share all extra 200 points between two films (for 101 points each). Of those, one failed to make the list since it was only voted for by him, whilst the other made it all the way to the top spot indeed... But having also accrued a lead in *votes* over the second film. In the end, those 200 points he opted to share amidst those two films was useless, for one could not even break the top 100 for lack of votes, whilst the other had no need to even tiebreak for the top spot. All he achieved instead was to undermine the positions for all of the rest of the films he included in his list.

Here's the poll in question, by the way: http://bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=134011

With the crazy numbering issues that early Final Fantasy games have, I do wonder if FFVI was the one I was thinking of...ah well. I tried to vote for the one with the Opera.

6 is the one with Kefka destroying the world and Celes waking up on the island.

Celes does disguise herself as an opera singer at one point.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty hard up to resort to such tactics. lol I took a gander at the movie list and it was complete BS! :**** eating grin:

I did have a number of my favorites on it, but Blade Runner was #1?!? Good God, people! We all know Groundhog Day is the best movie of all time!

• Like 2

χαίρετε

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty hard up to resort to such tactics. lol I took a gander at the movie list and it was complete BS! :**** eating grin:

I did have a number of my favorites on it, but Blade Runner was #1?!? Good God, people! We all know Groundhog Day is the best movie of all time!

Groundhog Day was quite a controversial inclusion. I think back in 2011 it cracked the top 20 and made several go "wait, what the hell?". It dropped a bit this year but it's still interesting to see how much love there is for it as well as other goofy comedies like Airplane!, Blazing Saddles and This Is Spinal Tap (not that there's anything wrong with them either).

With the crazy numbering issues that early Final Fantasy games have, I do wonder if FFVI was the one I was thinking of...ah well. I tried to vote for the one with the Opera.

Not entirely sure myself, though I think VI was also released as III, whereas you voted for IV.

Not entirely sure myself, though I think VI was also released as III, whereas you voted for IV.

I might have just messed up my numbers again like I did with HoMM. Stupid roman numerals.