Will the guns be more diverse than PoE1?

Sawyer likes history. The names are correct terms for the objects. They add flavor. If you want to communicate an early modern setting, you'll have trouble distinguishing it from a late middle age setting, since the transition cannot be pinpointed but is fluid. Using historic terms helps to establish the setting. You don't want the period dissonance and the associations that come with contemporary firearms.

• Like 6

It's not about appreciation.  It's about really not caring. 

I hope you realize how you contradicted yourself just there. If you really don't care about something, then by definition you have an inability to appreciate that something, and as I said, that is your failing. You really don't get to make general points on which words should be used when you don't even really understand, let alone appreciate (or even care) what those words actually mean.

I'm not really saying that "You don't understand historic weapons, therefore you're a subhuman **** and should kill yourself", but what I *am* saying that your ignorance *is* a failing, albeit a minor one, and as such should not be used as a basis for decision making in this context. Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert on this myself, but I definitely want the terms the game uses for its firearms to be accurate, if for nothing else than to provide a little education on the side while entertaining me. A game that manages to teach the player knowledge or wisdom that is applicable beyond what happens in the game world is always a superior game compared to a one that doesn't.

Here's a few wikipedia articles, a quick read through should begin to give some idea on how to properly represent the early design firearms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun#History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunderbuss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Why rename an arquebus to "rifle"? It's a blunderbuss. Else we ahould translate estocs and greatswords etc to just sword (long, medium, short etc). Meh. Who's bothered with these anyway? Just leave them as they are; they add to the character of the game.

Edited by Sedrefilos

Welp... that escalated quite quickly.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I think the game has all firearms of the 16th century. What more would one want? Unless, of course, you imply you want more modern stuff and/or fantasy firearms, which is ok, but unfitting to the setting imho.

I don't know if things should get modernized, but seafaring mercantilism has a tendency to encourage technological convergences.  Previously, you could explain away proliferation as the specialized skills to build large firearms didn't necessarily propagate as freely as small flintlock pistols could be carried and traded from their source.

But in this picture, Maia is rocking her Sengoku-period matchlock Tanegashima, while her furry friend on the other end of the boat has a pair of flintlock pistols that may as well be from a hundred years in the future.  This isn't a case of a more "elegant weapon for a more civilized age"; I feel a little bad to see that she has an already clumsy and unreliable matchlock in a damp, windy environment.  

Maybe with a little bit of luck, she'll find a flintlock musket in the hold of some captured vessel.   :p

Completely breaking game balance aside, I'd love to play with some pepperbox/revolvers or Howdah style pistols. Maybe in future games when bows and such have been phased out.

Yeah! Give me Western RPG. Playing through Hard West... disappointed. Could have been so much more.

Completely breaking game balance aside, I'd love to play with some pepperbox/revolvers or Howdah style pistols. Maybe in future games when bows and such have been phased out.

That would be balance breaking.

Revolvers are always overpowered in games... the only difference would be magazine clip but even then causing unbalance.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Revolvers are always overpowered in games... the only difference would be magazine clip but even then causing unbalance.

There is no such thing as a 'magazine clip'.

There are magazines which are what AK47, AR15, Glock pistols, and other weapons use. And then there are clips like what the Garand battle rifle from WW2 used.

There is no such thing as a 'magazine clip'.

There are magazines which are what AK47, AR15, Glock pistols, and other weapons use. And then there are clips like what the Garand battle rifle from WW2 used.

Yes, my mind spaces out as I was just waking up. I know how the revolver chamber works but the fact remains the same. The revolvers have been overpowered in virtually every game they've been in with overpowered stats, which was the point - not the other magazine vs ammo topic.

It's a little late now, of course, but I felt that their should have been some sort of single shot grenade launcher in Pillars 1, and thus Pillars 2, with an exceedingly long reload time.  It'd give Rangers for example a nice AoE to use, basically once per fight because of the reload time, then they could switch over to their bows/crossbows/etc. for normal combat.  The AoE targeting mechanic is already in P1 and P2, and very well done, just tie that style of spell/projectile to a mortar/launcher weapon.

Before somebody complains, yes there was a historical precedent, Hand Mortars: https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/10/29/hand-mortars-an-early-grenade-launchers-used-from-the-1500s-through-the-early-1800s/

Oh well, maybe via mods or DLC.

It's a little late now, of course, but I felt that their should have been some sort of single shot grenade launcher in Pillars 1, and thus Pillars 2, with an exceedingly long reload time.  It'd give Rangers for example a nice AoE to use, basically once per fight because of the reload time, then they could switch over to their bows/crossbows/etc. for normal combat.  The AoE targeting mechanic is already in P1 and P2, and very well done, just tie that style of spell/projectile to a mortar/launcher weapon.

Before somebody complains, yes there was a historical precedent, Hand Mortars: https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/10/29/hand-mortars-an-early-grenade-launchers-used-from-the-1500s-through-the-early-1800s/

Oh well, maybe via mods or DLC.

They do have grenades which would do the same thing but without requiring a long reload.

They do have grenades which would do the same thing but without requiring a long reload.

Some quick googling indicates that apparently you are right, although the mechanics of a Hand Mortar could be a lot different than a one use item.  Well, maybe that will be good enough. :)

Pillars Of Eternity: New Vegas! What could go wrong? :)

There IS a hand mortar in Deadfire. The official companion Serafen will have one.

Sweet! I'm torn between not spoiling any details about the game, and reading up on all the new mechanics... only a few months more to wait though!

Hand mortars seemed like the logical progression for the sequel, I'm glad some version made it in.  I'm thinking at least one of my characters will be an AoE fiend, between those weapon(s) and the grenades.