Will the guns be more diverse than PoE1?

Will the guns be more diverse this time around?

I'm not expecting guns that shoot out baby dragons or snything but a shotgun or maybe a pirate gattling gun would be nice, especially for tanks/off-tanks.

Blowguns would be great for paladins as well. Should we have that Mad Max vibe that the game does indeed seem to convey.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Well shotguns basically already were in PoE 1 in the form of Blunderbuss, but one should keep in mind the level of technology in PoE. (Blow guns? If you mean blow darts, then they existed in PoE 1 too, just in the hands of Lagufaeth)

I'm really not expecting to see 'gatling guns', that's for sure.

I'm also not entirely sure where you're getting the Mad Max vibe, cause i ain't feeling it myself

• Like 4

All I see is Mad Max inspiration in Nekataka:

So far I'm 50 hours into PoE... Where exactly do I find these blow darts and shotguns? An underground merchant? The Tyrededs? I haven't seen either yet which is why I ask.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

All I see is Mad Max inspiration in Negataka:

Uhh... Sure?

The tropical island beach resort has a lot in common with post-apocalyptic Australia with less liquid water than Mars.

IGN 8/10 Too much water.

On a more serious note, I'm not talking about the climate or environment, but the actual town structure itself.

Edit: Actually you're right, it wasn't Mad Max I was thinking of but the vertically challenged city in Waterworld. My bad!

Edited by SonicMage117

Fair enough. Post apocalyptic setting often present people settlements as tribal, therefore similarities in structure and society. However, this is colonisation era tech, so no automated weaponary. Every weapon needs to be manually reloaded.

I am sure you can buy blundrebuss somewhere. In PoE2 we have access to same guns, + granades, but weapons have unique modals giving them a bit more character.

• Like 3

Gattling guns is a bit off technologically tbh :p

But pistols, blunderbusses and arquebi are common in PoE. Blow darts have only the langufaeth in the White March and maybe some Xaurips? I'm not sure about the latter but you can't use them as a player.

Also, what is this about Mad Max and Waterworld lol? You know people used to live in more... "simple" structures through the years in different places of the world (even now, unfortunately), right? The game takes inspiration from 16th century earth.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can see cannons playing a part in naval combat, so there's that as a possibility (as well as explosives, gunpowder barrels and so on). Also Serafen will have a hand mortar though if I'm not mistaken it is also confirmed to be a unique weapon that only he can use. There will also be the ability to dual-wield pistols and blunderbusses so that ought to make for some interesting combinations/implementations too.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

This is my first post on a PoE2  topic.  (Haven't played PoE in a year or more.)  While part of me wishes that guns were never a part of the game in the first place, since they are in the game, I kind of wish that the devs had taken a leap in nomenclature and just called arquebuses "rifles" and blunderbusses "shotguns".  For one thing, the modern words are a LOT easier to spell.  And players will instantly understand the difference between the two weapon types instinctively.

This is my first post on a PoE2  topic.  (Haven't played PoE in a year or more.)  While part of me wishes that guns were never a part of the game in the first place, since they are in the game, I kind of wish that the devs had taken a leap in nomenclature and just called arquebuses "rifles" and blunderbusses "shotguns".  For one thing, the modern words are a LOT easier to spell.  And players will instantly understand the difference between the two weapon types instinctively.

Hmmm... I dunno. Rifles maybe, but "shotgun" sounds very modern to my ears.

A shotgun is just a gun that fires shot; it's reasonable IMO to call a blunderbuss a shotgun.

Rifling is a specific feature that the guns in PoE explicitly lack, though; it would offend my pedantic sensibilities to call one a rifle. Musket would be the obvious alternative to arquebus, though in the US at least it evokes the 18th century more than the earlier period on which PoE was primarily based.

• Like 1

PoE was somewhat unique in that it managed to combine classic swords and heroes fantasy with just the right ammount of technology to make it feel fresh. The level of technology is such that it doesn't make melee weapons completely obsolete. So no, you are not getting a damn gatling gun.

Edited by dragubaba
  • Like 3

A shotgun is just a gun that fires shot; it's reasonable IMO to call a blunderbuss a shotgun.

Rifling is a specific feature that the guns in PoE explicitly lack, though; it would offend my pedantic sensibilities to call one a rifle. Musket would be the obvious alternative to arquebus, though in the US at least it evokes the 18th century more than the earlier period on which PoE was primarily based.

Meh.  I just like the elegant simplicity, inaccurate though it may be, of calling them rifles and shotguns.  That's how I've always thought of them in PoE.  Frankly, I doubt that many people even know what arquebusses and blunderbusses are other than being "guns".  It just seems to me that calling them rifles and shotguns is just simpler. (Not to mention easier to spell.)

Meh.  I just like the elegant simplicity, inaccurate though it may be, of calling them rifles and shotguns.  That's how I've always thought of them in PoE.  Frankly, I doubt that many people even know what arquebusses and blunderbusses are other than being "guns".  It just seems to me that calling them rifles and shotguns is just simpler. (Not to mention easier to spell.)

What a wonderful occasion to self-educate!

It is simpler and clearer, but in a fantasy setting, which one of the main purposes is crafting a world with certain atmosphere and technology it would be damaging. Weapon not being used in a medium is hardly a reason to avoid using it.

• Like 2

I wonder if the Obsidian community will just call them Arques ad Blunders in time to make them simpler :)

I understand what you're saying though, it kinda makes you wonder why sword is still called a sword in Eora, or why a knife is called an knife, axe an axe, etc but why gun isn't called a gun. I mean... the world of Pillars is already so complex, we have to relearn things and are introduced to many more so learning a new term for "gun" is just another thing I suppose.

I wonder if the Obsidian community will just call them Arques ad Blunders in time to make them simpler :)

I understand what you're saying though, it kinda makes you wonder why sword is still called a sword in Eora, or why a knife is called an knife, axe an axe, etc but why gun isn't called a gun. I mean... the world of Pillars is already so complex, we have to relearn things and are introduced to many more so learning a new term for "gun" is just another thing I suppose.

Hmmm, I think the difference is that the fundamental concepts of swords, knives, and axes haven't really changed much in the last 1000 years or so. Where as guns have. Dramatically. 

Hang in there, Crucis. I don't think there will be many opportunities to spell them apart from this thread ;)

The general ignorance of the playerbase is no reason to use inaccurate and therefore inferior terms. A game that can teach you something is always better than a game that simply lowers itself to your level of knowledge. The fact that you're unable to appreciate the historical accuracy doesn't suggest that it's not worth it, it in fact suggests that perhaps there's some reading you ought to do on the subject.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Well but they are! Long sword, saber, rapier, estoc, katana, morningstar are all weapon which were used historically, however due to being more used in popular culture people are more familiar with them. I know that I had to expend my knowledge of white weaponary when I started to play RPGs.

I have little interest in firearms but I imagine that firearms used in 17th century existed before “guns” were created. I imagine that if we would continue to use swords to this day new terms and types of swords would be created. As it is now new guns were developed, while white weaponary remained mostly the same (beside combat knives etc. Used as a tool or support weapon, rather than main one).

The general ignorance of the playerbase is no reason to use inaccurate and therefore inferior terms. A game that can teach you something is always better than a game that simply lowers itself to your level of knowledge. The fact that you're unable to appreciate the historical accuracy doesn't suggest that it's not worth it, it in fact suggests that perhaps there's some reading you ought to do on the subject.

It's not about appreciation.  It's about really not caring.  This isn't meant to be snarky towards people who care about firearms history.  It's just not my cup of tea.  And the terms "rifle" and "shotgun" are just so much easier to use, spell, and grasp as concepts.  Musket wouldn't be all that bad an alternative.  I guess it's just a matter of taste.

You'd think some curious individuals would have started tinkering with combining magic with guns in some form, perhaps using special crystals in the breech to bind various spirit effects to bullets as they are fired. Your PC could retrieve these crystals then use their appropriate skills to insert the piece into a custom, higher-quality weapon.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."