I was thinking about that recently,

I hope there will be somekind of a Résumé, to remind us what happened in Pillars Of Eternity.

Like the Voiced-Over Slides at the End of the Game, having something that tells you the Story you've experienced & where we're at now at the Beginning of Deafire.

Even better if the Slides could react to your past choices & their consequences, as they did at the End of the first Game.

Where, when you Import your Saved File, your Story continues, but we're exposed to some sort of a reminder about what we've done

would be so freaking cool.

Remind us of our past adventures, what we've accomplished, [on a Global Scale, maybe some Important details], like :

• What was the State of the Dyrwood when we first came in. [Hollow-Born Childs]
  • How did we became the Watcher.
  • What happened when we dealt with Raedric VII / Kolsc. [Ally ? Ennemy ? Raedric Returned ?]
  • Maerwald & How we became the Watcher of Caed Nua. [What happened when we dealt with the Master of the Deep, underneath the Castle [Killed her ? Help her ?].
  • Defiance Bay [Animancy, Houses (Doemenel/Etc)]
  • Twin Elms [Gods Trial]
  • What happened with all the Dragons [Hylea, Etc]
  • Include what we've done in The White March.
  • Etc...

Since Deadfire will scan your Saved File/Story for the Story to come, maybe it can Remind you what happenned before, just to get the feeling of continuing our Story. That's all I'm saying...

Of course, Cinematics aren't necessary, but Sliders/Etc like what happened in the End of Pillars Of Eternity would be just fine.

I say this because I'm sure I've forgotten many things I did back then, and each of us don't necessarily have the time to re-do 100+ Hrs of Gameplay. And I also think about New Players who will come into this game directly.

They should be exposed to what happenned, who they are & why they are in the Deadfire's Archipelago, Etc.

I'm sure the "Introduction" will do that, but include a Résumé of our Back-Story aswell if you can.

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 7

They could make a short "story so far" vid if they have the resources for it(with Eder-Aloth and Pallegina narration with snappy remarks :p ) which they can also put it on youtube, As for details; "custom save maker" could be informative if its questions will have context & event summaries like in Tyranny's Conquest and there'll also be hyperlinks in dialogue to remind us stuff. Don't know if there'd be a need for anything more :/ 

I would honestly be surprised if they don't have some kind of recap in it regardless of whether we import a save or not as I think its already been mentioned for those who aren't importing a save / going into PoE II as their first game, they get to make a decision on how key events played out?

Edited by Naesaki

I really hope I can make PoE1 decisions in that intro, I have absolutely no interest in running through PoE1 again.

You can.  Here's the best semi-official (Josh on Reddit) account that I know of on this topic:

In the game's intro, you have the ability to import a endgame (only) save game from Pillars 1. Your choices are imported as-is, but you're allowed to effectively create a new character with regard to sex, race, class, etc.

If you don't import a save game, you can load in an endgame state. We will have a small number of presets, but you will also be allowed to build your own or load in a file that someone else has built. In those cases, you're always building a character from scratch.

• Like 3

I really hope I can make PoE1 decisions in that intro, I have absolutely no interest in running through PoE1 again.

You can.  Here's the best semi-official (Josh on Reddit) account that I know of on this topic:

In the game's intro, you have the ability to import a endgame (only) save game from Pillars 1. Your choices are imported as-is, but you're allowed to effectively create a new character with regard to sex, race, class, etc.

If you don't import a save game, you can load in an endgame state. We will have a small number of presets, but you will also be allowed to build your own or load in a file that someone else has built. In those cases, you're always building a character from scratch.

Yeah I recall Josh mentioning this in a recent stream, he compared it to the Dragon Age Keep website. Personally I like this approach because it means I don't have to do a whole other playthrough of PoE1 just to see the impact of those decisions. The only thing I wonder about is how a character's dispositions will be affected, I can see that being a difficult thing to directly transfer over to Deadfire.

Instead of a video, I'd rather have a playable intro where you can briefly wander around Cad Nua and talk to people, do some minor "tutorial" quests, and incidentally get a brief overview of What Hath Come Before.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Feargus Urquhart Interview :

• Alternatively, if you feel like ditching your past, you can always start Deadfire afresh, making up your own legend through a series of conversation trees with characters that'll flesh out the story of what you did (or rather, didn't) do during the events of the first game. This is the default starting point for players new to Pillars. But it's also there for veterans looking for a blank slate, or to try a new class.

• So you're basically going to go through, as subtly as we can make it, this sort of questioning in dialogues about what happened, and that's where you can change what you did or build what you did in Pillars if you didn't play it.

Link : https://www.redbull.com/ca-en/pillars-of-eternity-2-interview-red-bull-games

Feargus Urquhart Interview :

• Alternatively, if you feel like ditching your past, you can always start Deadfire afresh, making up your own legend through a series of conversation trees with characters that'll flesh out the story of what you did (or rather, didn't) do during the events of the first game. This is the default starting point for players new to Pillars. But it's also there for veterans looking for a blank slate, or to try a new class.

• So you're basically going to go through, as subtly as we can make it, this sort of questioning in dialogues about what happened, and that's where you can change what you did or build what you did in Pillars if you didn't play it.

Link : https://www.redbull.com/ca-en/pillars-of-eternity-2-interview-red-bull-games

Well, that's certainly a lot different than what we have been led to believe and I can't see they are making "series of conversations" at the beginning of the game(after CC/in actual gameplay) which would comprehensively cover most of the Pillars 1 choices. Its probably outdated info.

• Like 1

For me carrying C&C over from the previous game is never a big deal - it's jsut so convoluted and difficult to do, and the payoff seems relatively minor. It seems much better to me to just wash over the previous game a little bit so that yuo can have nice references to it, but you don't need to build in 80 branches for every player choice or piss people off by presuming those choices. 

A 'meanwhile....' state of the world in the interim, though, would be a very nice touch.

• Like 2