Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backer Beta Update 1: Patch Notes

patch update backer beta bugs system issue notes beta

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2051 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Anyone gonna youtube footage from new build/area? I'd love to see, so if one does can you be so kind as to post it here somewhere? Thnx :)

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1899 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm glad that grazes are back. Even if you didn't succeed in landing a lasting cc, you at least get a x0.5 time-window to recast it. (imho it's better than downgrading, provided that you want to keep hard-cc viable; because hard-cc requires a certain degree of reliability)

Also it's nice to see having recovery values and penalties brought closer to those of PoE1. Although casting durations on summoned weapons and some of the spells and powers is still atrocious. E.g. Whispers of Treason: [6s + 2s] in Beta2 vs [2.8s + 0.27s] in PoE1. Speeding these up x2 wouldn't hurt.
And it won't even feel that fast, because of the Slow mode and pauses.

Regarding [MIG + RES] vs [STR + RES]. Personally I like both directions. Although both of them have their own shortcomings, I think that balance related problems can be mediated for both of them via additional tuning and talents. So it all comes to what we want?:
- weapon damage dealing casters to be also able to deliver decent spell damage | (high MIG/PER/DEX)
- cc-focused offtanks to be also able to deliver decent spell damage | (high RES/PER/DEX)

Edited by MaxQuest, 21 December 2017 - 06:52 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10726 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Awww maaaann! I'm not at home - stupid holidays! ;)

SChin

SChin

QA Lead

• Developers
  • 29 posts

MERRY CHRISTMAS OBSIDIAN !  :wub:

Merry Christmas, Dex!

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4440 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Had a quick look on my dad’s computer. I was honestly disappointed that summoned weapons still have a 6s casting time. Until they are made fast cast, they’ll remain entirely worthless.

Pretty great not to have the flickering UI issue anymore though :)

Edited by AndreaColombo, 21 December 2017 - 10:07 AM.

• Answermancer, JerekKruger and MaxQuest like this

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So, what happened to the hotly debated big change regarding proficiencies and general talents?

Is that in, or has it been postponed / scraped? I don't see it in the changelog.

Also, is the Devoted Bug fixed that just applied the devoted bonus to all weapons?

Won't be able to look into the beta myself until after work, which is in 10 hours (your update schedules aren't very kind to people in europe...).

Devoted bug is not fixed (annoyingly) and general talents remain unchanged. Although I think a couple of abilities have been added, like the rogue's smoke bomb. (Or was that there before? I forget.)

I really appreciate that the shop now sells all weapons and armour. Makes it easier to create a full party. 

Smoke Cloud was there before, but Smoke Veil wasn't. Looks really good:

- 5 seconds invisible / untargetable

- 2nd tier ability, so it can be used by multiclass characters in the beta without the console cheat

- doesn't force you to choose Shadowing Beyond rather than Shadow Step if you want to use stealth/backstab more than once/combat

Very much looking forward to testing this....

Sking

Sking

QA Lead

• Developers
  • 655 posts

All versions are live as of this morning,

Backer Beta Builds where and when?

Mac: Steam and GoG are live now

Win: Steam and GoG are live now

Linux: Steam and GoG are live now

I got your backs

- SKing

• Olauron Mor-Galad and TheisEjsing like this

demeisen

demeisen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

​​

Linux: ... GoG are live now

​Yay!  Thanks for not forgetting about us!

Madscientist

Madscientist

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1394 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

good news:

The update is finally here and I like the changes.

bad news:

I visit my parents and all I have with me is an ancient notebook. Just reading this takes forever. So I cannot play until the new year has started.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1169 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So did the changes to proficiencies  and weapon styles not make it into the patch then? Are those still coming or back on the drawing board?

Sking

Sking

QA Lead

• Developers
  • 655 posts

So did the changes to proficiencies  and weapon styles not make it into the patch then? Are those still coming or back on the drawing board?

Still on the drawing board.

• AndreaColombo, Dr. Hieronymous Alloy and MaxQuest like this

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6473 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

When are the new portraits going to be added to PoE?

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

:grin:  :wub:

Answermancer

Answermancer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Answermancer
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Had a quick look on my dad’s computer. I was honestly disappointed that summoned weapons still have a 6s casting time. Until they are made fast cast, they’ll remain entirely worthless.

Pretty great not to have the flickering UI issue anymore though :)

Agreed on both.

Honestly the flickering was so incredibly annoying (and functionally too, I could never tell at a glance how much health anyone had or even what abilities) that the last time I tried playing a week ago I basically ragequit and put the Beta aside.

But I played a bunch tonight and it's totally fixed, and the game feels great to play now! I've also been replaying Pillars 1 recently and its really made clear how much all the subtle new visual additions add to the game. Great work Obsidian, it looks fantastic.

• AndreaColombo likes this

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Melee ranger still doesn't really have any usable 5th tier abilities (except upgraded "heal pet")... it would be interesting if Driving Flight could be used in melee (slices through one and hits a second).

• JFutral likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1028 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This patch should be beta release 2.0886, right? Just double checking.

Fluffle

Fluffle

Fluffy Marshmallow of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Players have noted the following over the past few years:
  1. If you're a caster, there's often not much reason to invest in Resolve (especially in Deadfire).
  2. From a *~ roleplaying ~* perspective, it feels weird to have muscley wizards casting high damage fireballs because they can bench 350 lbs.

So we are making these changes for the next Backer Beta build:

• Strength - All Weapon Damage, Fortitude Defense
  • Resolve - All Healing, All Spell Damage, Deflection Defense, Will Defense

To my opinion, that is because many players equal "Might" with "(Physical) Strength". And apparently, as has been pointed out, PoE1 uses that same interpretation in some interactions.

"Might" could have just been some abstract measure of "Power", whether actual muscle power or arcane power. And I think that was how it was originally intended to be interpreted.

If this was a new game, I'd be a fine either way. But it's a sequel. I must admit I am not too fond of too many changes of core mechanics in a sequel.

Furthermore I believe, at least to my knowledge, there is no consent in the Pillars community on this change, is there? Nor is there a consent on the change of the health system. Those are vigorously debated topics, are they not? Some of the major changes of the core mechanics feel like some of the players will be presented with a fait accompli.

You justify your changes by saying "Players have noted". For every such player that supports that change you may as well find a player who does not support it. The community seems to be split on some major changes. In such a case I would actually decide in favor of consistency with the first game.

That said, I don't want to end this post on a negative note. I love you guys. :wub: I'm pretty sure I am going to enjoy Deadfire. I have supported you and I will continue to do so independently of these changes. And I wish you all a happy new year :)

Edited by Fluffle, 31 December 2017 - 07:32 AM.

• ilovesaintpaul likes this

DrSkywalker

DrSkywalker

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

In your post, you say that the Mac build is available - but on GOG Galaxy it doesn't appear on my Mac list, and under All Games it comes up as Not Compatible.

Is there indeed a Mac beta available to backers?

David Benefield

David Benefield

Producer

• Developers+
  • 38 posts

In your post, you say that the Mac build is available - but on GOG Galaxy it doesn't appear on my Mac list, and under All Games it comes up as Not Compatible.

Is there indeed a Mac beta available to backers?

I believe it will not appear on the Mac list until you opt in to the beta channel on Galaxy. Please check out the instructions in the original post (https://forums.obsid...re-backer-beta/) for getting the channel added, then it  should work on Mac.

-David

ilovesaintpaul

ilovesaintpaul

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

With the Mac version from Steam I still cannot get past the opening screens, at the character creation phase it just hangs. I gave up at 45 minutes. PLEASE PATCH THIS SOON—I want to leave showering and eating behind for two weeks too!

- DDM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: patch, update, backer beta, bugs, system, issue, notes, beta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users