Patch 3.07.1318 Is Now Live!

Hey you bunch of faithful gamers,

We decided to slip one more patch in! The patch will be available on the Beta Branch of Steam for a few days. Please jump in and let us know what you think. The patch will go live soon after that.

Patch contains;

- Fixed an issue with the Company Captain's Cap confusing party members when they cast a buff/heal spell.

- Realized we went a little overboard on the Deadfire Uniforms. We knocked the defenses they granted from +20 to +9.

- Added optional analytics. This is just simple data collection (where parties wipe, which classes players choose, etc....). A pop up will trigger as soon as you launch the game after patching, asking 'would you like to enable analytics.' We'd love it if everyone did, but feel free to just click 'no' and forget it ever happened. 

So, how do I get started?

It's actually pretty easy.

1. Completely quit out of the Steam client.
  2. Restart the Steam client and navigate to the Library tab.
  3. Right-click on the Pillars of Eternity entry and click on Properties.
  4. pe-beta-properties.jpg
  5. Navigate to the Betas tab in the Properties menu.
  6. Enter in the code "BETAPASSWORD" (remove quotes) and click on the Check Code button. pe-beta-check-code.jpg

7. Click on the dropdown list and select the "beta" branch. Once selected, close out of the Properties menu.pe-beta-selection.jpg

8. You should notice that your Pillars of Eternity game will now have "[beta]" after it. This means that your game is in the beta branch. Steam should queue an update for this branch.
  9. You can now play the new beta branch of the game.
  10. If you would like to switch your branch back to normal follow steps 3 and 4 to get back to the Beta tab in the Properties menu, then choose "NONE" as your branch. This should revert you back to the release version of the game.

Thank you to all of the folks that decide to play the patch beta and help report issues. Your help is invaluable and we really appreciate your dedication.

• Like 8

I setup the beta and its says beta on my steam library but when i open the game i dont get this

Added optional analytics. This is just simple data collection (where parties wipe, which classes players choose, etc....). A pop up will trigger as soon as you launch the game after patching, asking 'would you like to enable analytics.' We'd love it if everyone did, but feel free to just click 'no' and forget it ever happened. 

and my version still says 3.7 at bottom

Edited by draego

I did steps 1 to 5, and I get "Access code for beta is incorrect" at step 6 (translating from Swedish so I don't know if those are the exact words but it's pretty much the jist of it).

Nevermind, wrong Eternity title xD

Edited by Osvir

Can someone please tell me if these two issues got fixed in the process:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94768-deadfire-dlc-pirate-outfits-dont-go-transparent-307/?do=findComment&comment=1959904

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94689-307-blurred-backgrounds/

I'm on GoG, so I cannot get the beta patch to do this myself. Thx.

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me if these two issues got fixed in the process:

For your first link, the uniforms were not white for me, but there was still clearly some problem with the textures. And tnat problem is still there:

PrewWmNzRnS0mb_hSnhr7g.png

It looks like this on all the male characters regardless of what color I choose for them. I hope it gets fixed, small as this issue is, it's still an bit annoying. 

On a unrelated note, the new female orlan portrait rocks (just like the previous one, thank you orlan-favoring lady backers).

• Like 2

Bummer. I think Kana would look perfect in this outfit if it wasn't bugged... Is this something a modder with access to unity could fix? I saw a few outfit swap mods out there, so it should be possible to tinker with the files.

I dare to guess the rendering issue with the blurred backgrounds also wasn't fixed, because almost nobody seems to notice or write about it - which I find strange by the way, because it bothers me quite a bit.

Well, this probably means I can stick to my patchwork 3.06 / 3.07 mix... (basically 3.07 with the Assembly-CSharp.dll version from 3.06 to prevent the blurry backgrounds.) I don't use the soulbound cap and don't really care about the armor nerf.

But thanks for the answer.

Edited by Cerebro83

Hey you bunch of faithful gamers,

We decided to slip one more patch in! The patch will be available on the Beta Branch of Steam for a few days. Please jump in and let us know what you think. The patch will go live soon after that.

Patch contains;

- Fixed an issue with the Company Captain's Cap confusing party members when they cast a buff/heal spell.

- Realized we went a little overboard on the Deadfire Uniforms. We knocked the defenses they granted from +20 to +9.

- Added optional analytics. This is just simple data collection (where parties wipe, which classes players choose, etc....). A pop up will trigger as soon as you launch the game after patching, asking 'would you like to enable analytics.' We'd love it if everyone did, but feel free to just click 'no' and forget it ever happened. 

Hail Watchers!

The Beta Branch has been pushed to the live branch and is now live on Steam with the fixes above! 

Cheers!

• Like 4

Thanks for the patch, but I'll stick to 3.06, because since 3.07 the game looks objectively worse for me. Luckily, I kept a backup folder with POE 3.06 and I took the time to make two screenshots to compare both versions. Same resolution, no changes in graphics options whatsoever - just starting the game and making a screenshot, then quit, start the other version, load the same save and make another screenshot.

Compare:

3.07.png

3.06.png

In full screen it should be fairly obvious, but look at the crops for example...

Edited by Cerebro83
  • Like 4

This patch is 1.6 GB.  I really hope its more than 2 fixes and analytics.  Otherwise it would be nice to ask us to opt in before downloading 1.6GB and taking up that space regardless.

It was 2.4GB for me - not that it's an issue for me personally (100/100) just wanted to add more statistics.

Thanks for the patch, but I'll stick to 3.06, because since 3.07 the game looks objectively worse for me. Luckily, I kept a backup folder with POE 3.06 and I took the time to make two screenshots to compare both versions. Same resolution, no changes in graphics options whatsoever - just starting the game and making a screenshot, then quit, start the other version, load the same save and make another screenshot.

Compare:

3.07.png

3.06.png

In full screen it should be fairly obvious, but look at the crops for example...

It did feel like something was different when I patched to 3.7 a while back, but wasn't sure what. (It did feel like you could zoom further, but never confirmed it so might be my imagination.)

Well it does look like a change in shaders / texture filtering - or they simply changed the quality level corresponding to each 'notch' on the quality sliders in settings, i.e. maybe 'normal' now is equivalent to the old 'low', 'high' is equivalent to the old 'normal' etc. (or any other custom change to 'default' levels of quality).

It would be much more interesting if you could,

• include fps numbers
  • increase the quality settings in 3.7 in an attempt to match the look in 3.06 (again with fps numbers)

...if you're up for it I would be very interested in hearing what you find. (fps-meter can be enabled in steam settings if you run on steam)

Assuming I can increase the quality to match the old look if I so prefer, then I think it's perfectly ok if the drop in default-quality also gives a proportionate increase in default-performance.

Edited by AnorZaken

I'm on GoG, so I need to install Fraps or something to deliver some fps numbers. Have to go work soon and only have a few minutes so just some quick answers:

- The overall "smoothness" of the game feels around the same, so subjectively no fps gain. (If I can get to it, I'll add some numbers at a later time.)

- No changes in graphics quality options. Both screenshot were made with everything on max, so you have a forced visual downgrade since 3.07, which is a deal breaker for me.

Edited by Cerebro83
  • Like 2

Compare:

3.07.png

3.06.png

Wow that's definitely a visual downgrade that doesn't make any sense. Dear Obsidian will you guys please be so kind and clarify whether this is intentional, or a bug, perhaps some console port optimization line of codes that made it into the PC patch, and if it's a bug will you please release a hotfix to correct this as soon as possible? If it's intentional... nah of course it's not... that wouldn't make any sense in a world that... doesn't make any sense - nooooooo! All jokes aside please correct this grave mistake, and have a great day. Best regards from a supporter and owner of all of your games;)

• Like 3

Compare:

3.07.png

3.06.png

Wow that's definitely a visual downgrade that doesn't make any sense. Dear Obsidian will you guys please be so kind and clarify whether this is intentional, or a bug, perhaps some console port optimization line of codes that made it into the PC patch, and if it's a bug will you please release a hotfix to correct this as soon as possible? If it's intentional... nah of course it's not... that wouldn't make any sense in a world that... doesn't make any sense - nooooooo! All jokes aside please correct this grave mistake, and have a great day. Best regards from a supporter and owner of all of your games;)

Hi again Obsidian. Any news about this graphics downgrade, and maybe a hotfix? Unfortunately it seems that the new patch broke other things as well according to users from the technical support forum, so that's not looking good, but hopefully you guys will fix the last remaining new bugs in this fantastic game before the release of POE II? Another thing I just noticed that I haven't got my Kickstarter forum Badge even though I backed the game on Kickstarter, so can you guys please be so kind and fix it? I'm looking forward to your reponse. Have a great day. Best regards.

Compare:

3.07.png

3.06.png

Hi again Obsidian. Any news about this graphics downgrade, and maybe a hotfix? Unfortunately it seems that the new patch broke other things as well according to users from the technical support forum, so that's not looking good, but hopefully you guys will fix the last remaining new bugs in this fantastic game before the release of POE II? Another thing I just noticed that I haven't got my Kickstarter forum Badge even though I backed the game on Kickstarter, so can you guys please be so kind and fix it? I'm looking forward to your reponse. Have a great day. Best regards.

So... it's been 7 days since my post, and 8 days since  Cerebro83's post, and... total silence from Obsidian!? This is the first time I've ever used the forum, and I was wondering if ignoring their supporters/fanbase is how Obsidian usually handle problems, and in general deal with their customers, if any kind of problems arise?