Trinkets?

hmm I wasn't aware of these. maybe warriors could have scabbards, rogue could have poison vial, paladin/priest could have some token of their religion, druid could have some kind of magic stick lol. Not sure about others but this would be a fun thing to guess about/discuss.

hmm I wasn't aware of these. maybe warriors could have scabbards, rogue could have poison vial, paladin/priest could have some token of their religion, druid could have some kind of magic stick lol. Not sure about others but this would be a fun thing to guess about/discuss.

Haha, sounds awfully "diablo-y". 

Grimoires are pretty functional items, so I hope that the other classes will also receive something useful and not just thematic "placeholder" items. 

Grimoires are pretty functional items, so I hope that the other classes will also receive something useful and not just thematic "placeholder" items.

Chanter could go with some portable music instruments. E.g. a lute that speeds up your chanting by x%; or a lute let's call it 'of thunderous accord' that increases damage of your invocations... or of lightning based spells.

Rangers could get quivers. And melee rangers have scabbards like warriors.

Ciphers could have some kind of resonating crystals, that could be used for focus accumulation, beam augmentation and accuracy or effect increase.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Yeah, I was wondering about those as well.

I don't think that casters other than the wizards will get spellbook equivalents though, since versality was one of the defining features of wizards, but I guess it will be something that helps with their designated role (maybe it's extra spells per level or increased stats for spells for casters).

Yeah, I was wondering about those as well.

I don't think that casters other than the wizards will get spellbook equivalents though, since versality was one of the defining features of wizards, but I guess it will be something that helps with their designated role (maybe it's extra spells per level or increased stats for spells for casters).

Could be but the thing is  .. everyone lost a lot of flexibility due to the reduced allotment of powers. See, e.g., priests, who went from getting all spells every spell level to getting at most two. Ditto druids. Even Ciphers get one fewer power now than they used to (used to be 2/1 alternating levels, now it's 1/level). 

Wizard grimoires are a ticket out of that bind that right now nobody else has.

• Like 1

To be fair, wizards lost flexibility as well, since you were able to permanently learn spells from grimoires in PoE1, and now you can't.

Priests will get one more spell per level in the next beta update, and Druids have the whole shapeshift mechanic as compensation.

Personally, I like the reduced flexibility because it makes the spell choices more meaningful and decreases the disparity compared to martials, and it's also less overwhelming.

Edited by Doppelschwert

To be fair, wizards lost flexibility as well, since you were able to permanently learn spells from grimoires in PoE1, and now you can't.

Priests will get one more spell per level in the next beta update, and Druids have the whole shapeshift mechanic as compensation.

Personally, I like the reduced flexibility because it makes the spell choices more meaningful and decreases the disparity compared to martials, and it's also less overwhelming.

That's all true and I see the upsides, but I think it's an overcorrection because it makes fights really repetitive -- there's no tactical choice of what to do in each combat, there's only the strategic choice of what to pick on level up; you're using the same abilities every time because they're the only ones you have (unless you're a wizard). 

I see your point, but I'm not sure I agree entirely; since spells scale with level, you should always have a valid choice between all the spells you unlocked so far, and the situation should demand that you make different decisions on the order you cast them. No matter how many abilities and spells I have at my disposal, if the game doesn't force me to use a different setup, I'll just find one that works reliably and spam it throughout the game.

If there is no tactical choice involved, that implies that either the game does a bad job at forcing you to prioritize differently on different encounters, or your tools are too similiar to each other that there isn't a proper choice between them, which goes back to either your strategic choices or bad design of the tools in the first place.

Ideally, you choose your abilities strategically at lvl up so that you have a wide repertoire of abilities across all characters so that you can make tactical choices, and the game forces you to utilize them. Having all spells automatically unlocked in PoE just meant that you could always select the appropriate counter to everything, so I actually think there should be more tactical considerations now.

• Like 1

Yeah, in theory that's how it *should* work out at higher levels at least. Thing is you spend a lot of time at lower levels (especially if, like me, you reroll a lot!) and you're also buying passives, so the net effect of all the changes is a real lack of versatility vis-a-vis the first game (at least for the casters I've tried so far).

It might be different once they do a balancing pass and more spell abilities are worthwhile.

• Like 2

Haha, sounds awfully "diablo-y".

Yeah that does sound like more fun, though some classes are inherently more active/flexible than others in how they are played. I haven't played Diablo, so I'm not sure what that system looks like. Was it fun and engaging or no?

Pity. I was honestly looking forward to non-Wizard trinkets.

• Like 8

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That's a major bummer. Perhaps in the expansion set?

I haven't played Diablo, so I'm not sure what that system looks like. Was it fun and engaging or no?

Oh, nothing special. But each class got a few class specific items (example: voodoo mask for the witch doctor, scythe for the necromancer) which boosted class skills instead of general attributes.

As MaxQuest suggested, instruments for the chanter would have been really nice.

Edited by Heijoushin

Having all spells automatically unlocked in PoE just meant that you could always select the appropriate counter to everything, so I actually think there should be more tactical considerations now.

Yeah but no, you couldn't, because you could only have four per grimoire per level actually *available*, despite "knowing" all of them. So you had to choose which ones you had ready to counter a particular situation, and didn't actually have "the appropriate counter to everything" in any particular combat.

Yeah but no, you couldn't, because you could only have four per grimoire per level actually *available*, despite "knowing" all of them. So you had to choose which ones you had ready to counter a particular situation, and didn't actually have "the appropriate counter to everything" in any particular combat.

Priests and Druids didn't have this restriction, and Wizards didn't automatically know all spells (though they would usually end up with almost all of them through Grimoires eventually).

• Like 1