Monk beta analysis

Soulmojo

I'm also a big fan of Lightning Strikes, speed plus dex for more speed and a 50% lash - gimme some of that!!

My new experiment is going to be Wave of Anguish abuse (the upgraded Force of anguish that only takes one wound) I'm thinking dual wielded fast weapons or sabres with AI set to use FoA at every opportunity. Torment's damage is lacking so maybe mass FoA will be viable?

Its good, but it is too short duration to my taste. 

I'm also a big fan of Lightning Strikes, speed plus dex for more speed and a 50% lash - gimme some of that!!

My new experiment is going to be Wave of Anguish abuse (the upgraded Force of anguish that only takes one wound) I'm thinking dual wielded fast weapons or sabres with AI set to use FoA at every opportunity. Torment's damage is lacking so maybe mass FoA will be viable?

Yeah it amplifies your damage by more than 50%. And is instantly casted not like frenzy, and it only cost one power point!

FoA is primary attack, so single weapon might be better?

Torment's is 100% better once you upgrade it.  And I personally feel the prone nerf killed force of anguish, rooting pain is a 10x better interrupt anyways.

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

I played some more with the monk leveraging new weapons and skills, and I wanted to share my findings.

So first things first, I have to say, I'm more inclined to not choose a multiclass for monk. The slower progression of power level makes it difficult to reach to the desired effectiveness.

What I mean is that monk get the 'good stuff' from tier 4 and well multiclassing puts that level to lvl10 which means that you already progressed almost half of the game before you start to get access to useful abilities.  The more I play with monk the more I find that this is one of the classes which is very well balanced in terms of abilities, and cost of abilities compared to other classes. What do you think?

I tried out different weapons too, and I found that to no surprise the best weapons are dual damage weapons. Much more relaxed playstlye.

Two weapon was especially great to the monk. 

1. Scepter. The scepter does not do that much damage, but its modal have a powerful synergy with monk. 

there is ofc. the 20% damage bonus, and there is +2 penetration which on its own is very great combined with dual damage.

the synergy is self inflicted raw damage (20% of the damage you do) now this doesn't cancels the dance of death ability, and generates wounds through self inflicted damage. which in turn you can translate to wound based abilites and bonuses. It functions something like the shattered pillar bonus, but with self damage. Steady wound generation with dance of death.

2. Greatsword. Greatsword do great damage has dual damage. and it has brutal synergy with wound abilites, like force of anguis and torments reach. Since those are primary attack abilites, you do full greatsword damage. If I was lucky to score a crit i dealed 40+ damage in additon to the debuffs. This weapon is though more likely benefits multiclass than pure monk. Fighter or paladin for example.

Abilites:

Swift strikes:

I struggled with being effective with the monk (as per my playstyle) I tried to force swift strikes. But despite the benefits it is sooooooooo not worth it, at least with this duration.

Why I think this: The combat was slowed down considerably (this was one of the balance changes I found great). But with around 3-4 sec recovery times, By the time you get to swing the third-fourth time the duration runs out. It is a resource sink, with little to no return. It's duration scales with power level very bad (5% per power level) and because the short duraton it scales very badly with intellect too. I was more effective by not putting points to it.

Essentially the duration of this ability needs to be buffed to 15 seconds to be useful. And I still would hesitate to put points into the ability. My breaking point would be 20 second...but that is an irrational expectation in my opinion. 

Force of anguish + stunning blows + torments reach.

I have to say, I didn't really understood what is the point of these abilites, untill this last weekend.

I went around on the combat field and whenever I saw someone start to cast something I rushed and punched them with one of these. Every fight become much-much easier, as I chain interrupted everyone. It was glorious. :D

Now going about breaking engagement was a bit rough on my character so I put points to engagement defense and stride, and employed some defensive spells with my priest. Overall it was quite satisfying I would say.

++torments reach+++: the wound cost is a bit pricy, I would say 2 wound cost or an upgrade which reduces cost by one would be awesome.

I still expect a higher tier second upgrade whihc makes this full attack... :D

Thundering blows: This is a great supplement but I think it should be tier 2-3 instead 4. would help a great deal with early gameplay. 

Duality of mortal presence: This is a good ability. Well balanced

Rooting pain: Honestly I didn't get the opportunity to try this out. Maybe next time.

Blade turning: very short duration and counter intuitive imo. You spend wounds for a 3 sec melee immunity. Meh.

All in all I cannot name a single ability which is more or less not usefull with the exception of blade turning. 

Sublcasses: 
Nalpazca: The best monk sublcass, great trough and through, you just have to put a lot of points to alchemy to further increase the duration of drugs. I recommend it to all.

Shattered pillar: Still think it is garbage, but only because the reduced wound amount. If that penalty would be lifted, I would recommend as much as Nalpazca.

(It is great to know though that the most expensive wound based  ability will cost five)

Helwalker: Fairly balanced though I would only recommend this if you play with scepters or other ranged weapons, or ranged fist. (potentially powerful if monk will have iron wheel)

Stats:

Intellect simply does not worth it. All monk skills are interrupts they serve their purpose with low int, so If they not tweak the duration of lightning strikes it is a worthless stat.

Resolve: since your focus should be having a ton of hp and armor, you can decrease this. Worthless. Only useful if you multiclass to a caster.

Constitution: The single most important and most useful stat for monk

Perception: The second most important stat, especially because some monk abilities target fortitude. which is much higher than deflection.

Dexterity: On par with perception the more the merrier.

Strength: not that much vital, 14-15 is enough.

Some addional info:

Flagellants path

Skyward kick
Exploding palm

These three ability will be tier 7. I rewatched the video about the revised multiclass system.

The example monk character had 9 power source point. At level 1 you start with 3 power source, you gain one point at each new power level. 3+6=9 = tier 7

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Soulmojo

And I personally feel the prone nerf killed force of anguish, rooting pain is a 10x better interrupt anyways.

It's still nice if you can combine it with stride debuffs or even immobilization. The far push is one of the few things in the game that lets you "relocate" enemies.

It's also really nice in combo woth Arterial Strike. The enemy has to move in order to get back to you (or your party members) and takes a lot of damage on the way. Then you send him away again! ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The force of anguish 'push' feature I don't understand. As a monk how do you utilize this?

I mean I see the point with hobbling strike, but on its own it should have a purpose. Which is what? Can someone answer me this?

Also there is the blade turning ability. Can someone explain to me that too? 

As far as I see it, you have it for like 3-4 second, you spend wounds to activate...of which you could spend to more useful stuff.

Especially because spells and ranged attacks can in essence still hit you.

Edited by Soulmojo

But if you are surrounded and get pummeled pretty hard it's actually fabulous to redirect the damage. Dunehunter has figured out a hilarious trick with Blade Turning - I just forgot what it was. :(

Force of Anguish is perfect against casters. First of all it's an interrupt which can cancel spellcasting if no concentration protects the caster. Secondly you can just push him out of range so that he has to move again - which also makes him lose his spell (will get changed - but at least he has to start all over again with casting after moving). I also would have preferred that prone stays to be a disable (as it was in PoE) but I guess that didn't fit into the new affliction system.

Edited by Boeroer

Force of Anguish is perfect against casters. First of all it's an interrupt which can cancel spellcasting if no concentration protects the caster.

No argument here.  It i also excelent agains anyone now with the current recovery times. It is hilarious when the enemy tries to cast its uber ability over and over again, and I just chain disable it.

Secondly you can just push him out of range so that he has to move again - which also makes him lose his spell (will get changed - but at least he has to start all over again with casting after moving).

This is what baffles me really. You push the enemy out of range, and he immediately when able start to cast again and logic would dictate, that you would continue to pummel him with force of anguish until the enemy dies. If you push him away then then you, to remain on the enemy have to also move. I know it is not that plain, as usually you can find plenty additional target to interrupt but still, I find it...kinda wierd? :)

Dunehunter has figured out a hilarious trick with Blade Turning - I just forgot what it was.

I would love to hear that sometime, lets hope he will turn up at some time to tell us.

Edited by Soulmojo

Dunehunter has figured out a hilarious trick with Blade Turning - I just forgot what it was.

I would love to hear that sometime, lets hope he will turn up at some time to tell us.

Blade Turning + Riposte? I think it is not working anymore, not sure because since the Monk fist bug I never played a monk in beta.

No, it was this:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94692-the-strongest-beta-build/page-8?do=findComment&comment=1956976

Basically Blade Turning + Disengagement: pile up engagement slots, engage as many enemies as possible, use Blade Turning and then break all the engagements - and turn all disengagement attacks towards the attackers. Don't know if this really works, but it sounds hilarious. :) Disengagement has +100% damage... 

• Like 1

No, it was this:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94692-the-strongest-beta-build/page-8?do=findComment&comment=1956976

Basically Blade Turning + Disengagement: pile up engagement slots, engage as many enemies as possible, use Blade Turning and then break all the engagements - and turn all disengagement attacks towards the attackers. Don't know if this really works, but it sounds hilarious. :) Disengagement has +100% damage... 

Ah yeah I remember it now :)

EDIT: This can be the real dragon killer combo. Imagining u are a drug monk who eat drug and activate death of dance. Then chaining Blade Turning when face tanking dragon. They gonna be hit hard with their own disengagement attack OUCH!

Edited by dunehunter

I just tried it with monk/unbroken and it seems that Blade Turning  + leaving enemies doesn't trigger disengagement attacks anymore. At least I couldn't get disengagement attacks from some CRE_Tigers. Maybe Obsidian read this and nerfed it? 

Eh wait: the tigers don't have any engamgent slots. Lol - I will try some other enemies... maybe the huana themselves.

Edited by Boeroer

This is so hilarious: I made a nearly perfect tank-bot:

Nalpasca/Unbroken, large shield, sabre, plate armor, max INT and max RES (for max duration of Blade Turning).

Important abiliies: Tactical Barrage (more INT), Blade Turning, Soul Mirror, Defender Stance

I told the AI it should turn on the Wall once I get shot. It also casts Tactical Barrage if it's not already active and as soon as melee enemies are in range the AI shall cast Blade Turning non stop. Since the Nalpasca on drugs generates wounds quickly enough to fuel endless Blade Turning and shots from archers and spells from casters will miss often and get reflected and ranged damage, reflex based AoEs as well as melee damage is very low due to high armor, Defender Stance, the Wall and Blade Turning I can stand there forever while they all beat themselves up. Who wants to leave engagement gets slashed pretty nastily by my sabre with +100% damage and +10 PEN. And once I leave engagement under the effect of Blade Turning they get punished even more...

I just wiped the whole village just with custom AI settings. :lol:

Edit: sorry, I took no pics. And now everybody's dead. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Drunken (Dwarven) Defender build...wouhou.

Now wait until you meet enemies monks that use Blade Turning and blitz around breaking engagement.

Not sure the AI is that intelligent. :)

Plus this counts only with melee, nothing we cannot handle easily using other means.

Besides it requires a lot of work to make the conditions suitable for this.

Edited by Soulmojo

Drunken (Dwarven) Defender build...wouhou.

Now wait until you meet enemies monks that use Blade Turning and blitz around breaking engagement.

Not sure the AI is that intelligent. :)

Plus this counts only with melee, nothing we cannot handle easily using other means.

Besides it requires a lot of work to make the conditions suitable for this.

Actually the lack of intelligence makes this much more likely to happen. My beta experience had enemies activating skills and then switching to another party member which required them to walk across half the battle field to reach getting disengagement attacks along the way.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I have a question:

Should I make a topic about detailed info about monk?

That could be a known info topic (list of abilities and what they do, bonuses etc.)? I wouldn't mind to put work into it.

That could be an info topic, and this could be the discussion topic.

What do you think?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I played more with monk after the patch and I have some recommendations.

So without further ado:

Swift strikes:

I completely ignore this ability now, even more so I find it liberating not to use it. It has too short duration and it cost 1pt resource to activate. On paper it is a good ability, in reality it bad even if you focus on intellect. It's duration runs out before you can utilize it, especially if you use a two handed weapon. As I said it uses 1pt mortification which you have a handful to begin with. 

Recommendation: I has to cost 2 wound instead of mortification. Because that way at least the player can maintain it. It would be even better if it would have a longer duration also.

Torments reach:

This ability is not what it used to be. It lost it's full attack ability does low damage and we have two ability which does a better job at cost.

Recommendation:

Monk don't have and early level damage ability which cost mortification. 

I would move this ability to tier 1-2 make it cost 1-2 mortification.

I would also give back it's full attack effect. As an upgrade I would take the stun effect and give something different to it ( better damage or some additional debuff).

This ability would be a great mortification ability choice for early levels, it's power pool cost would provide a good limitation in exchange for its added power.

A worthy alternative to stunning blows.

Shattered pillar:

I completely hated the sublclass, but in reality it all boils down it's wound limitation. The wound bonuses are half, and you cannot store up wounds like you can with the other subclasses.

Recommendation:

The limit on wounds needs to go.

You made a very good job with the other two subclass, each is very desirable to play with. I just don't feel this subclass is where it supposed to be...

What else...oh right.

Two handed fighting:

I don't know why but two handed fighting does not work for monk. It does with other classes but it does not with monk.

Compared to dual wielding unarmed or dual weapon attacks, they are clumsy, low damage and the ability use feels clumsy as well, and it is not as good in my opinion.

Recommendaton: I don't have one really, giving it the 2 handed 15% damage bonus AND an additional speed buff seems a lot. Maybe for monk a 2 handed specialization should give speed instead of damage... all in all it has to come in par somehow with unarmed fighting I always desired for gametime with two handed weapons it's just it never worth the bother.

Edited by Soulmojo

So without further ado:

Swift strikes:

I completely ignore this ability now, even more so I find it liberating not to use it. It has too short duration and it cost 1pt resource to activate. On paper it is a good ability, in reality it bad even if you focus on intellect. It's duration runs out before you can utilize it, especially if you use a two handed weapon. As I said it uses 1pt mortification which you have a handful to begin with. 

Recommendation: I has to cost 2 wound instead of mortification. Because that way at least the player can maintain it. It would be even better if it would have a longer duration also.

Torments reach:

This ability is not what it used to be. It lost it's full attack ability does low damage and we have two ability which does a better job at cost.

Recommendation:

I would also give back it's full attack effect. As an upgrade I would take the stun effect and give something different to it ( better damage or some additional debuff).

This ability would be a great mortification ability choice for early levels, it's power pool cost would provide a good limitation in exchange for its added power.

Shattered pillar:

I completely hated the sublclass, but in reality it all boils down it's wound limitation. The wound bonuses are half, and you cannot store up wounds like you can with the other subclasses.

Recommendation:

You made a very good job with the other two subclass, each is very desirable to play with. I just don't feel this subclass is where it supposed to be...

What else...oh right.

Two handed fighting:

I don't know why but two handed fighting does not work for monk. It does with other classes but it does not with monk.

Compared to dual wielding unarmed or dual weapon attacks, they are clumsy, low damage and the ability use feels clumsy as well, and it is not as good in my opinion.

Recommendaton: I don't have one really, giving it the 2 handed 15% damage bonus AND an additional speed buff seems a lot. Maybe for monk a 2 handed specialization should give speed instead of damage... all in all it has to come in par somehow with unarmed fighting I always desired for gametime with two handed weapons it's just it never worth the bother.

I  find Swift Strikes and its upgrade to Lightning strikes to be class defining and one of the best in the game. Duration is like 15 seconds with a 15 Intellect and power levels which is plenty long enough. You get +5 Dexterity, +20% action speed (+35% including the dex) and a +30% lightning lash. plus it is the only mortification ability that I usually take so I can keep this active for the whole fight.

What two abilities work better than Torment's Reach? The upgraded version with AoE stuns is really good. Not as good as in PoE but there it was stupidly powerful. I still like to set the AI to spam this as often as possible with good results on PotD beta. The fact that it costs wounds which are limitless is what makes Monks great.

I love Shattered Pillars. Getting wounds to further fuel my offense by causing damage is fracking great. The upgraded Force of Anguish can be run perpetually as each one will generate at least a wound which will fuel the next one. A few Monks spamming FoA and ping ponging mobs all over the place is funny as hell. Plus if you go heavy defensive via Unbroken with shield, Paladin multi, Trickster, Wael Priest or Wizard you can get good mileage out of Dance of Death and still generate wounds from attacking. Not needing to be a punching bag is my favorite thing about DeadFire.

Monks do best with fists as fists do more damage than a sword, 16.5 vs 16 average, with the attack speed and recovery of a dagger. They are the king of auto attacks for dps. Using anything besides fists is generally a bad choice unless the weapon had some game altering buffs and powers. 

Two weapon style is much better than anything else for damage output, near 20% better for dps (factoring in using the appropriate weapon styles). Two handed does less damage and really gets hammered by armor recovery. To be less painfully slow you'd want to be running in robes while dual wielding in plate does just fine. To fix they'd need to substantially increase the damage and/or increase penetration and maybe make enchantments stronger on two handed as well.

I find Helwalkers to be too glassy for my tastes and Nalpazca are either going to be brokenly good (if there is enough drugs to be under the influence for every fight) or annoying (if the supply of drugs are limited such that you are always hoarding for the next fight). I'll take the Shattered Pillar every time, five wounds is plenty as there are not any per wound stockpiled type abilities like Iron Wheel or the fire lash one.

I'd suggest going Nature Godlike for the extra power levels which add +1 penetration, +4 accuracy and +15% damage and going pure Monk instead of multiclassing as the additional power levels get you another +1 penetration +4 accuracy and +15% damage. The extra abilities gained at a faster rate really make a difference. Compare a Devoted/Monk with a pure Monk and the Monk is a lot better in my estimation with near equal damage and extra abilities.

• Like 1

Ok.

Let me adress the things you wrote.

I  find Swift Strikes and its upgrade to Lightning strikes to be class defining and one of the best in the game. Duration is like 15 seconds with a 15 Intellect and power levels which is plenty long enough. You get +5 Dexterity, +20% action speed (+35% including the dex) and a +30% lightning lash. plus it is the only mortification ability that I usually take so I can keep this active for the whole fight.

I find swift strikes to be class defining. Though it is not because you have to sacrifice too much to mainain it. First of all with 16 INT and power level 4 nets you 15,0 sec duration.

Now you wrote that that is the only mortification ability you take just to keep it up. Don't you see the problem there? Basically you are saying you will ignore an entire set of abilities just to keep one buff active. Wouldn't you rather use mortification abilites OTHER than swift strikes? Sir this point is invalid because it basically confirms what I'm saying.

Ofc. It depends on the playstyle, but I would rather lose out on good stuff because of some numerical bonuses.

What two abilities work better than Torment's Reach? The upgraded version with AoE stuns is really good. Not as good as in PoE but there it was stupidly powerful. I still like to set the AI to spam this as often as possible with good results on PotD beta. The fact that it costs wounds which are limitless is what makes Monks great.

Let's see Force of Anguish comes to mind. Both torments and Force are primary attack, but while torments reach cost 3 wound force costs 1.

There is the stunning blow. It cost 2 mortification yes, but stuns longer, with upgrade it refunds on crit.  in between stunning blows I chain cast Force of anguis laughing on the enemy.

Torments reach sucks balls with its primary attack an zero damage. And good luck with positioning :)

I love Shattered Pillars. Getting wounds to further fuel my offense by causing damage is fracking great. The upgraded Force of Anguish can be run perpetually as each one will generate at least a wound which will fuel the next one. A few Monks spamming FoA and ping ponging mobs all over the place is funny as hell. Plus if you go heavy defensive via Unbroken with shield, Paladin multi, Trickster, Wael Priest or Wizard you can get good mileage out of Dance of Death and still generate wounds from attacking. Not needing to be a punching bag is my favorite thing about DeadFire.

If you love unnecessary penalties good for you. Just don't try to convince others to love them too...

What you are saying is true, AND ithout the 5 wound limitation it would be a great subclass. With it i take Nalpazca. They can generate wounds through cocaine.

I find Helwalkers to be too glassy for my tastes and Nalpazca are either going to be brokenly good (if there is enough drugs to be under the influence for every fight) or annoying (if the supply of drugs are limited such that you are always hoarding for the next fight).

Helwalkers are fine are and performs great if you combine it with paladin or chanter or a class which excels on self healing. But if you put a class next to them which excels at healing they are ok. Nalpazca is great if you focus on alchemy. Their drugs usually last 500-600 sec so using one or two lasts till you finish the entire map.

five wounds is plenty

Nope, just nope. :)

I'd suggest going Nature Godlike for the extra power levels which add +1 penetration, +4 accuracy and +15% damage and going pure Monk instead of multiclassing as the additional power levels get you another +1 penetration +4 accuracy and +15% damage. The extra abilities gained at a faster rate really make a difference. Compare a Devoted/Monk with a pure Monk and the Monk is a lot better in my estimation with near equal damage and extra abilities.

My race is Pale elf. It is the pillars master race.

Edited by Soulmojo

So without further ado:

Swift strikes:

Torments reach:

Recommendation:

Shattered pillar:

Recommendation:

What else...oh right.

Two handed fighting:

Monks do best with fists as fists do more damage than a sword, 16.5 vs 16 average, with the attack speed and recovery of a dagger. They are the king of auto attacks for dps. Using anything besides fists is generally a bad choice unless the weapon had some game altering buffs and powers. 

Two weapon style is much better than anything else for damage output, near 20% better for dps (factoring in using the appropriate weapon styles). Two handed does less damage and really gets hammered by armor recovery. To be less painfully slow you'd want to be running in robes while dual wielding in plate does just fine. To fix they'd need to substantially increase the damage and/or increase penetration and maybe make enchantments stronger on two handed as well.

I find Helwalkers to be too glassy for my tastes and Nalpazca are either going to be brokenly good (if there is enough drugs to be under the influence for every fight) or annoying (if the supply of drugs are limited such that you are always hoarding for the next fight). I'll take the Shattered Pillar every time, five wounds is plenty as there are not any per wound stockpiled type abilities like Iron Wheel or the fire lash one.

Agree most of your post except I think Devoted/monk is pretty good because of all good stuff fighter provides.