Politics Thread: Silicon Valley Edition

Blarghagh

I like it, except the bit the oil and gas. Glad to hear that the penalty for no insurance is gone; can't really understand why this is a bad thing.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Doesn't it seem like big business tax cuts should be dependent on demonstrable proof that the funds will be reinvested or put towards more competitive employee wages and salaries.

Except stuff like forced wealth distribution is anathema to Republicans. Seems like the only way to make trickle-down work is to force it to work by actually forcing the money to redistribute downwards. Then again, it just proves that trickle-down never happens naturally.

Doesn't it seem like big business tax cuts should be dependent on demonstrable proof that the funds will be reinvested or put towards more competitive employee wages and salaries.

Business have an incentive to keep good workers in and to attract good workers, they might go through periods where they discharge a lot of people but eventually the consequences are seen by the upper management. As for skilled workers whose particular set of skills are in demand, it gives them more bargaining power since companies are more willing to dish out cash in order to seal the deal. For them throwing a few thousands to go above your asking price is nothing, but it means a lot to the worker.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I know you're a bitter partisan, but this is what happens when you can't get people from the other party to vote on any major piece of legislation. Everything must be passed solely by the party in power, which is harder for the Republicans. After all, unlike the Democrats, at least some of the Republicans vote on principle. However, I think that, in fact, the continuing resolution will go through and hopefully we'll get something even better eventually, which is an actual budget complete with an appropriations process and a look towards funding. They might end up shutting down the government for a few days, but I also think that the public is getting to be inured to this sort of thing. Now, however, if the Dems shut down the government, that'll be a ballsy and iffy move on their part. Won't matter if the GOP can't get their act together in the House, though. In the House, the Democrats can put all the blame on the GOP. In the Senate, that's not the case.

I think the current strategy of hate has been successful, and it's driven by a president who gives plenty of fodder to the opposition (aw hell, just about everyone), but at some point the opposition party will have to offer up something other than hating on the pres. By that, I don't just mean CNN, the Washington Post, and the New York Times. Don't forget the Democrats are also part of the opposition party. ...And the Democrats are the elected representative faction of the opposition party, so they have it in their power to do things other than foment this 'resistance' movement.

Right now, I'm not in a betting mood, but I'm looking to see whether I think this resistance movement/hate Trump crap will be a winner in the midterms. It might just work, especially in a first administration mid-term election, but it might not and, worse for the opposition party, it might actually backfire. I'll keep thinking and then maybe bet. After all, I'd like to see if the magic mirrors around this joint beat my prognosticating abilities.

EDIT: I'm not in a betting mood. I'm not in a better mood either, but I'm also not in a worse one.

Edited by Epaminondas

χαίρετε

I know you're a bitter partisan [snip]

lol Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

lol

rotflol

Edit: Oh, I see. Hey, I'm a sweet partisan. I'd buy you all a beer. Maybe have to do it in shifts depending on how many showed up, but I'd buy you one. Either that or give you one I have handy!

Edited by Epaminondas

χαίρετε

I'm not that bitter of a partisan, I'm just frustrated at Congress (both sides! Though obviously, the Republicans are the ones in power atm) keeping making a huge drama over the government shutdown as they have repeatedly for years. Did you also know that they haven't made a proper budget in years?

This one isn't on Trump, it's all on Congress.

I suspect that you're frustrated at the same thing as I am here.

lol

rotflol

Edit: Oh, I see. Hey, I'm a sweet partisan. I'd buy you all a beer. Maybe have to do it in shifts depending on how many showed up, but I'd buy you one. Either that or give you one I have handy!

lol.

• Like 1

Right now, I'm not in a betting mood, but I'm looking to see whether I think this resistance movement/hate Trump crap will be a winner in the midterms. It might just work, especially in a first administration mid-term election, but it might not and, worse for the opposition party, it might actually backfire. I'll keep thinking and then maybe bet. After all, I'd like to see if the magic mirrors around this joint beat my prognosticating abilities.

EDIT: I'm not in a betting mood. I'm not in a better mood either, but I'm also not in a worse one.

Well, it's going to depend on the dynamics of each individual race. Doug Jones hardly focused on Trump at all, and he managed to defeat Roy Moore. In some places, it could definetly backfire if it's done too much, that's true. There was one state delegate in Virginia that focused entirely on local issues and avoided Trump entirely, so, again, it'll depend on the dynamics of each individual race.

As for 2020 (assuming he is running at all), he does have the incumbency advantage, though it remains to be seen if the Dems can field a candidate that can defeat him.

Edited by smjjames

The dynamics of individual races always come down to the candidate and what threshold he has to pass in order to overcome his or her opponent. In some cases, it's presenting a better option. In some cases it's simply being electable in some half-assed way because the opponent is so bad/disliked that people are looking for an excuse to vote against him. If the Republicans can't rehabilitate Trump at least a little before the next election, it won't matter if the country is doing better or not. The dude is a royal pain in my ass.

χαίρετε

I know you're a bitter partisan, but this is what happens when you can't get people from the other party to vote on any major piece of legislation. Everything must be passed solely by the party in power, which is harder for the Republicans. After all, unlike the Democrats, at least some of the Republicans vote on principle. However, I think that, in fact, the continuing resolution will go through and hopefully we'll get something even better eventually, which is an actual budget complete with an appropriations process and a look towards funding. They might end up shutting down the government for a few days, but I also think that the public is getting to be inured to this sort of thing. Now, however, if the Dems shut down the government, that'll be a ballsy and iffy move on their part. Won't matter if the GOP can't get their act together in the House, though. In the House, the Democrats can put all the blame on the GOP. In the Senate, that's not the case.

I think the current strategy of hate has been successful, and it's driven by a president who gives plenty of fodder to the opposition (aw hell, just about everyone), but at some point the opposition party will have to offer up something other than hating on the pres. By that, I don't just mean CNN, the Washington Post, and the New York Times. Don't forget the Democrats are also part of the opposition party. ...And the Democrats are the elected representative faction of the opposition party, so they have it in their power to do things other than foment this 'resistance' movement.

Eh.... demographics don't bode well in the long run or even mid run for the Republicans or those that vote Trump at the voting booth.

Swallowing and ignoring rampant election fraud coast to coast doesn't exactly help either. Of course, pointing that evil out which one has benefited from in the not so distant past isn't exactly wise. Better to let as many of the masses think they still have a say as possible.

Rome is burning, has been burning.... a lot of people just haven't noticed yet. In fact some parts of town think the party has never been better.

The future's so bright we've gotta wear shades? That's not the sun rising folks....

Those that call themselves Democrats will win by default more and more as time goes on. Trump's win (which good Leferd will tell you I called) is more than likely the Elephant's the final hurrah!. This is not cause to celebrate team Donkey. For what will rise up next will gulp near everyone down into darkness.

Those that call themselves Democrats will win by default more and more as time goes on. Trump's win (which good Leferd will tell you I called) is more than likely the Elephant's the final hurrah!. This is not cause to celebrate team Donkey. For what will rise up next will gulp near everyone down into darkness.

Which would be.... team Cthulhu, am I right? ;)

In all seriousness though, if the Dems can't find someone who can parry Trumps attacks like a pro and is overall popular (though there probably isn't a politician alive with the same kind of baggage as Hillary did), then even changing demographics won't help.

Three years is a very long time in politics these days, so, anything could happen.

Edited by smjjames

Wonder when Haley will start shaking down UN members.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wonder when Haley will start shaking down UN members.

Hopefully soon.

Well that'll be funny, pretty sure the US doesn't give aid out of the generosity of its heart and not like the US is going to use force or something.

At least on the UNSC, not sure how many of the non-permanent ones are over a barrel to the US so it seemed a bizarre threat of sorts to make (aside from sounding like some soldato). Is just a bad attitude to have in general, reminiscent of the reaction to allies not wanting to waltz into Iraq. But I guess it sounds hard, so it'll play well.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

don't understand the point of todays UN vote to "rebuke" our decision to move our embassy to Jerusalem. Who cares what they think? And there's nothing they can do about it. I suppose it makes everyone feel more important

Who cares what the US and a literal bunch of its colonies think either? Threats and intimidation and 9, nine, votes for. 5% support: how embarrassing.

It will be even more hilarious if Trump tries to carry out his threats as that will play straight into China and Russia's hands and hasten the decline of international US influence even more. What's he going to do, cut Saudi Arabia off? South Korea? Rule 1 is don't make threats you can't or won't be able to go through with as whatever happens you end up looking weak or stupid, or have to do something monumentally dumb to not look weak. Much like Obama's Syria red line you end up with only bad choices, and Trump's judgement is so lacking that he might make the monumentally dumb choice instead. Well, a second stupid choice, since he made the Jerusalem one first, a decision even GWB baulked at making.

Trump admin is the Seymour Skinner of international affairs: Am I out of touch? No, it's everyone else who is wrong!

Edited by Zoraptor