Politics Thread: Silicon Valley Edition

Blarghagh

Did you know the US Government :

• Has a department to investigate UFOs with an annual budget of $22.8M
  • Pays almost $300k per year from the defense budget for bird watching trips for pentagon employees. And they are mandatory.
  • Paid over $400k for a study on the effects of smoking in Russia?
  • Paid MIT a half million dollars to study “Does media choice cause polarization, or does polarization cause media choice?”
  • $5k for a documentary on North Carolina's best fiddle player. 

• $66k to study why bugs are attracted to light bulbs

That is just a few things from this past year. The real money the government wastes is not on big ticket items. It's the nickel and dime crap that adds up over 10 years. 

Had a department to look at UFOs, it was killed five years ago.

Asking whether media choice causes polarization or it's the other way around is a legit question, but it's more complicated than a mere yes/no question.

No, it isn't. It's chicken and egg nonsense. And since the government is not supposed to be involved in the media it's a waste of tax payer's money.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Pretty sure it is a chicken and egg situation of the two factors reinforcing each other. The government shouldn't be involved in controlling the media, certainly. We are also at the point where culturally many people give themselves to certain corporate factions though, which is no doubt serious.

As I said, it's much more complex than just a yes/no (or chicken and egg, as you say) question. Still a bit odd thing that someone in the government wanted to look at it when there are plenty of studies that have already been done and are being done.

Wonder who put that in though. Those things sort of look like the porkbarrel spending or earmarks or favors, etc.

The one for looking at smoking in Russia is a bit odd, not like smoking in Russia would be any different from the US.

Three government bureaucrats explaining taxes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aO4bTKHXt8 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Might as well, since with Trump in charge it doesn't work anyway.

Ah yes.... because the government was working flawlessly before he arrived at the White House....

... and because everything the government does can be laid at the feet of the President, for they are 'in charge'.

Remind me, who just told the CDC 'evidence-based' is off the table?

It wasn't perfect before, but better shut it down than have Trump deliberately ruin it for everyone.

Might as well, since with Trump in charge it doesn't work anyway.

Ah yes.... because the government was working flawlessly before he arrived at the White House....

... and because everything the government does can be laid at the feet of the President, for they are 'in charge'.

Remind me, who just told the CDC 'evidence-based' is off the table?

It wasn't perfect before, but better shut it down than have Trump deliberately ruin it for everyone.

There are plenty of words and phrases that are synonymous with the 'banned'.

I'd love to see the actual memo in context, as the story so many such as yourself are up in arms about is more than likely contrived fluff.

That said, the CDC is evil. Shutting it down is the only good thing to do with it, no matter who is sitting in the White House.

Did you know the US Government :

• Has a department to investigate UFOs with an annual budget of $22.8M
  • Pays almost $300k per year from the defense budget for bird watching trips for pentagon employees. And they are mandatory.
  • Paid over $400k for a study on the effects of smoking in Russia?
  • Paid MIT a half million dollars to study “Does media choice cause polarization, or does polarization cause media choice?”
  • $5k for a documentary on North Carolina's best fiddle player.

• $66k to study why bugs are attracted to light bulbs

That is just a few things from this past year. The real money the government wastes is not on big ticket items. It's the nickel and dime crap that adds up over 10 years.

Can't find anything on the bird watching trips. Shame as that sounds like a pretty fun activity

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not sure what you have against the CDC valsuelm, are you sure you aren’t confusing with FEMA?

Not confusing, however FEMA is evil as well, as are most U.S. Federal Government agencies.

Sure, they're advertised to do good, but the unconstitutionality of most of them aside, they not only don't do what they're advertised to do, they often do the exact opposite. e.g. the EPA works far more for big oil than it does for the environment or the people at large. Likewise, the FDA and CDC work far more for Big Pharma and other invested industries than they do for the people at large. And of course the FCC protects the very monopolies and cartels that it supposedly protects the American People from. And that's just a few examples, there are plenty more.

Corruption, Fraud, and Lies rule these institutions. If you don't think so, I suggest you start paying close attention (find and demand primary sources ;)) to what they do. If you do, in a year or two your entire outlook on the world is like to change.

The world is not as it is generally advertised on TV, in movies, in newspapers, or the various state sponsored classrooms.

Edited by Valsuelm

Dear Val,

at least state sponsored classrooms have me a good enough education to understand the levels of bull**** BlackPigeonSpeaks emits.

Yours,

An indoctrinated statist

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

No, it isn't. It's chicken and egg nonsense. And since the government is not supposed to be involved in the media it's a waste of tax payer's money.

you can’t really have a profit controlled media either now, can you?

Best model is probably something like the deal SciencesPo struck with the French government: The money comes from the state, but they set up their own board, with people that must remain there for a certain amount of years (in the case of SciencesPo, a lifetime; that goes a bit far).

And everybody knows

Dear Val,

at least state sponsored classrooms have me a good enough education to understand the levels of bull**** BlackPigeonSpeaks emits.

Yours,

An indoctrinated statist

The first step in solving a problem is realizing what it is. You've completed step one it seems. Congrats!

Dear Val,

Yours,

An indoctrinated statist

The first step in solving a problem is realizing what it is. You've completed step one it seems. Congrats!

wait, is the problem BPS or the state sponsored classroom?

I did you the favour of fact checking both on multiple occasions in the past. The classroom always did significantly better. So I’m assuming we’re talking about BPS; and yes, people like him are a problem.

See you in the black block, comrade

And everybody knows

Dear Val,

Yours,

An indoctrinated statist

wait, is the problem BPS or the state sponsored classroom?

I did you the favour of fact checking both on multiple occasions in the past. The classroom always did significantly better. So I’m assuming we’re talking about BPS; and yes, people like him are a problem.

See you in the black block, comrade

My bad. I meant to bold something so I was clear. Bolded now. Key part underlined too. ;)

You did me the favor of fact checking state sponsored classrooms vs Black Pigeon Speaks in the past? Please refresh my memory.

How are people like Black Pigeon Speaks a problem?

Edited by Valsuelm

I hadn’t even heard of the Black Pigeon Speaks guy before you mentioned it. Did a quick google and his videos are so controversial that the thumbnails aren’t shown in the search and he’s some kind of alt-righter. They’re also the kind of person that elicits a video response to them asking whether women destroy civilization.

I hadn’t even heard of the Black Pigeon Speaks guy before you mentioned it. Did a quick google and his videos are so controversial that the thumbnails aren’t shown in the search and he’s some kind of alt-righter. They’re also the kind of person that elicits a video response to them asking whether women destroy civilization.

Yes, Google/Youtube censors him to a degree, along with an increasingly large number of others.

He came up in another thread, as I posted one of his satirical videos.

Some of the subjects he touches on are a bit tough for many to tackle. Women destroying civilization? That's certainly a taboo subject, to the point even of who on earth could possibly propose such a thing? Only a bigot certainly, right?

He's often (but not always) definitely an advanced level of content, and/or for those who never knee jerk react to anything. I disagree with much that he posits, but most of what he posts is good food for thought. I certainly appreciate his disdain and thorough lack of care for 'political correctness'. The guy has a good brain, and his points of view are generally well fleshed out.

Edited by Valsuelm

Some of the subjects he touches on are a bit tough for many to tackle. (...)

He's often (but not always) definitely an advanced level of content

There's nothing "tough" or "advanced" about rank idiocy such as "women are destroying civilization". 

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

There's nothing "tough" or "advanced" about rank idiocy such as "women are destroying civilization". 

I only saw the title of the video that was in response to BPS and didn't watch it as I was on mobile, so, to be fair, I don't know for sure what exactly it's responding to.

It's advanced levels of delusion.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Obviously you either didn't watch the videos, or you couldn't see past the headline.

And I guess the women I know who have suggested much of what BPS suggests in his videos are self hating women. :w00t:

Anon, as that subject is worthy of it's own thread and methinks probably a subject that could not survive the more short sighted trigger happy thread closing mods round these parts who share your stunted view. I've seen much less controversial subjects shut down on this forum.

If you want to discuss that, I'm not sure what internet forum is good for it, or if a good internet forum for it even exists. Sad that is, as once upon a time afore the eternal September I knew of such places.

On BPS I'll say this and no more in this thread as this thread isn't about him: if you're daft enough to dismiss everything a person says based on the fact that they published a(some) video(s) you disagree with, well... you be daft. Either way: enjoy!

Edited by Valsuelm

Obviously you either didn't watch the videos

Guilty as charged. Normally, I would offer to open a "where I watch" kind of topic, in which I go over the video, list the things I disagree with or are provably and factually wrong, but if Shaun already did that, I don't see much point. It's very unlikely that I catch something he missed, he's very thorough (incidentally, the same thoroughness also makes his videos interminably boring and borderline impossible for me to watch).

And I guess the women I know who have suggested much of what BPS suggests in his videos are self hating women.  :w00t:

There is no inherent quality to women that makes them immune to rank idiocy; self-hate is far from the only possible explanation.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I’ve watched quite a few videos by him over the time. As far as my understanding, BPS is simply a fascist.

Also, thanks for the recommendation for the Shaun channel.

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows