Politics Thread: Silicon Valley Edition

Blarghagh

This is your place to talk about the latest political kerfuffle.

Remember, even if you hate each other('s side or candidate), let's tackle the ball instead of the player. Insult Killary or Drumpf all you want, but your fellow member's moms are off limits.

Check the forum guidelines here if you're in doubt: https://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

• Like 2

Is referring to a bum as a bum insulting to the bum?

Well, seeing how that is a perjorative term : yes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Might I bum a ***?

edit: That cheeky filter.

Now we will never know :(

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Might I bum a ***?

edit: That cheeky filter.

Well, technically.....

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In addition to repealing net neutrality today, the FCC has also started the process on repealing the 39% TV market cap. Essentially, there is currently a rule that prevents one person or company from controlling or buying up too much of the market, which is currently set to 39%.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You guys are ****ed.

The free market at work.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Markets are useful things, it's just that many democrats and conservatives have an entirely wrong view of them.

They should be used to explore new markets, and to fairly negotiate at will trades of goods and services. But externalities should be regulated, and government funded infrastructure should be shared and owned. It should not move into a corporate holding, even if that corporation is publicly owned.

*pokes trueneutral* Thought you guys were going to continue the number thing, heh.

Should have gone with Political Thread 14 : We are the State

I keep reading these illegal voters accusations every time there's an election in the US. Are there states where voting doesn't require some sort of photo-ID or are there no voter registries to check against? At least some way to track if a person is legally allowed to vote?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This is your place to talk about the latest political kerfuffle.

Remember, even if you hate each other('s side or candidate), let's tackle the ball instead of the player. Insult Killary or Drumpf all you want, but your fellow member's moms are off limits.

Check the forum guidelines here if you're in doubt: https://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

It's a good thing Donald Trump is not a member of this board. It would suck if we couldn't speak ill of him here!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I keep reading these illegal voters accusations every time there's an election in the US. Are there states where voting doesn't require some sort of photo-ID or are there no voter registries to check against? At least some way to track if a person is legally allowed to vote?

Actually, there isn't. And there probably should be. If your registration is valid and you go to your assigned poll there will be a ballot there with your name on it. You sign for it and fill it out. That's pretty much it. No one has ever asked me to prove I'm who I say I am.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Actually, there isn't. And there probably should be. If your registration is valid and you go to your assigned poll there will be a ballot there with your name on it. You sign for it and fill it out. That's pretty much it. No one has ever asked me to prove I'm who I say I am.

We have to show state ID here locally, but there's a big stink over it as advocates say that it disenfranchises the poor and elderly who may not have the money to purchase a state ID or the transportation to get to place where you can get one made at.

That said even in the states without ID laws the problem - as I understand it - is less about someone voting as Guard Dog instead of him and more about voter roles not being purged of voters no longer in the district (through moving out or death) and someone voting for these people who are still on the books but shouldn't be.  Or weird scenarios such as the current claim of the losing candidate for Atlanta's mayor saying that a section of Fulton county that Atlanta tried to annex voted in the election despite the fact that the state supreme court ruled the annexation invalid.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You'd need some additional people to act as voters - someone to claim the ballots for the 1000 names of people still on the rosters who aren't voters in that district.

Most places attempt to purge voter rosters of people not in the district, but that can also create problems as there have been accusations of political parties 'accidentally' purging people from the rosters who just happen to vote for the opposing party/parties.

Also reminded me there's the "tries to vote in multiple locations" voter which is usually countered by tying your ability to vote to a specific location but used to be a big problem.  'Vote early and vote often' as its called.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I certainly believe fraudulent voting is a problem. And I KNOW elections have been stolen that way. I remember an election was overturned in court for the Mayor of Miami some years back because the absentee ballots of dead voters. But it would be nearly impossible to turn a national election, the Presidency for example, that way. You would likely need 500k to 1M votes to do it. No easy feat by itself without the irregularity being blatant. And the votes would have to be targeted in the one or two states whose electoral votes might turn the outcome. But there is no way to know what states those will be. In 2000 Florida turned the election. In 2004 it was Ohio. In 2016 it was Michigan and Wisconsin. There is just no way to know.

Even a statewide race would be hard because a 1% finish means a recount and than means scrutiny that ferrets out this kind of malfeasance. It's a problem yes that should be fixed. If I have to have a photo ID to use my credit card or put money in my own bank account or cash a welfare check I don't think having one to vote is such a God awful burden. But it is not changing the outcome of elections with the regularity that has been suggested.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Seems it is a bit onerous for some to get ID, mainly paying fees to get the documentation needed.  I hadn't thought of that documentation being missing or having a typo being a problem either, which it is.  Reading cases of birth certs being in a county office somewhere far from someone (so not digital - granted I guess this will improve) or having a misspelled name which complicates matters.  

how much does it cost to make ID in states?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

how much does it cost to make ID in states?

To make ?  Maybe $0.20 :p