Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's Project Indiana to be published by Take-Two

From my understanding there has been causal convos with the license holders of VtM about doing another VtM bloodlines like game (again while they have the trokia folks in house). But Obsidian wants to first focus on a property they will own and the Paradox peeps want to focus on their werewolf game first. Why they want to do werewolf first not vampire is a excellent question but another topic. Again this is from a couple different sources at both paradox and Obsidian which eluded this to me. Though these chats I had are a bit dated in fairness.

Edited by Rhomal Maximus

From my understanding there has been causal convos with the license holders of VtM about doing another VtM bloodlines like game (again while they have the trokia folks in house). But Obsidian wants to first focus on a property they will own and the Paradox peeps want to focus on their werewolf game first. Why they want to do werewolf first not vampire is a excellent question but another topic. Again this is from a couple different sources at both paradox and Obsidian which eluded this to me. Though these chats I had are a bit dated in fairness.

Maybe they ended up going with Werewolf first when Obsidian didn't have a team ready to work on Vampires. From Paradox's point of view it might not make sense to give the first go at Vampires to anyone else other than Obsidian, especially now that both Boyarsky&Cain are working there. It's a lot easier to market it to the fans of the series if you can add "From the creators of Vampires - Bloodlines comes..." into the marketing campaign. You give your flagship title of the IP to some random developer and game fails and you will have a difficult road with that IP after that.

Also I believe Obsidian was still working on Tyranny back then and it's always a risk for both parties involved to have multiple games going at once. I think Feargus commented on this years ago that he learned from AP & Aliens that you really shouldn't have the same publisher publishing two of your games that you are working on at the same time.

Last but not least, Vampires game kinda needs to be made in a similar fashion that Bloodlines was made (at least that is what some of the fans are expecting), that means it will most likely use Unreal Engine. You can't make game on a shoestring budget, at least not if your team isn't very experienced on the actual engine and hasn't learned how to tweak it to work with crpgs. After Indiana Obsidian will have more experience working on the engine and well Paradox might be in a better situation to fund a larger game than they were few years ago when they acquired the license.

• Like 5

Hate the living, love the dead.

snip

Maybe they ended up going with Werewolf first when Obsidian didn't have a team ready to work on Vampires. From Paradox's point of view it might not make sense to give the first go at Vampires to anyone else other than Obsidian, especially now that both Boyarsky&Cain are working there. It's a lot easier to market it to the fans of the series if you can add "From the creators of Vampires - Bloodlines comes..." into the marketing campaign. You give your flagship title of the IP to some random developer and game fails and you will have a difficult road with that IP after that.

This is what I'm hoping for

I wish they could bring back Mitsoda for it too but I don't think I'd get that lucky

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Also I believe Obsidian was still working on Tyranny back then and it's always a risk for both parties involved to have multiple games going at once. I think Feargus commented on this years ago that he learned from AP & Aliens that you really shouldn't have the same publisher publishing two of your games that you are working on at the same time.

Last but not least, Vampires game kinda needs to be made in a similar fashion that Bloodlines was made (at least that is what some of the fans are expecting), that means it will most likely use Unreal Engine. You can't make game on a shoestring budget, at least not if your team isn't very experienced on the actual engine and hasn't learned how to tweak it to work with crpgs. After Indiana Obsidian will have more experience working on the engine and well Paradox might be in a better situation to fund a larger game than they were few years ago when they acquired the license.

This post makes so much sense that it must all be true. *Crooked vampire fingers crossed.*

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

This post makes so much sense that it must all be true. *Crooked vampire fingers crossed.*

I've been watching a lot of WILTY, and I concur. Must be true. Assuming Paradox is doing Werewolves first, which is the new bit of information that makes all the time-tables fall together just right.

• Like 1

I am less interested in the type of setting. I'm mostly excited to see how Tim Cain and Boyarskys have changed and improved. I don't know if someone can ever stop being creative. They were still making games, just not their own. I just imagine they have had some ideas in the back of their heads for years. Why else would Tim Cain have changed his mind to make a new game after all, if he didn't have some ideas he really wanted to realize. I am very much looking forward to seeing them.

• Like 1

Yet with Fallout and Wasteland already existing, it seems they could wade into something more distinct. Execution is everything so I won't say it's a terrible investment. Bethesda is likely letting FO sleep to do their next TES. I was really thinking it would be their own Vampire IP though, or something totally else. Post-apoc was probably the last thing I had in mind.

Why would you think that? Nothing has even been hinted at, and likewise has been denied multiple times by multiple people. This game is a new IP, and the Obsidian crew isn't enough into vampires to make their own while a Paradox deal with Bloodlines exists in the future. Some Fallout/Arcanum/barren waste fantasy journey is more up their alley.

Yet with Fallout and Wasteland already existing, it seems they could wade into something more distinct. Execution is everything so I won't say it's a terrible investment. Bethesda is likely letting FO sleep to do their next TES. I was really thinking it would be their own Vampire IP though, or something totally else. Post-apoc was probably the last thing I had in mind.

Why would you think that? Nothing has even been hinted at, and likewise has been denied multiple times by multiple people. This game is a new IP, and the Obsidian crew isn't enough into vampires to make their own while a Paradox deal with Bloodlines exists in the future. Some Fallout/Arcanum/barren waste fantasy journey is more up their alley.

Because I was pretty sure that they had started planning Indiana long before news hit of Paradox acquiring White Wolf.

edit: Look at my post count :wowey:

Edited by injurai

• 4 months later...
Project Indiana ( The Outer Worlds ) ... no news ? Nothing at E3 ? 

I'm waiting for something big now that Deadfire is out !

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Now waiting for Gamescom... 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★