Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's Project Indiana to be published by Take-Two

I wonder what kind of budget we're talking about.

Also curious who the IP holder is.

From the Game Informer article:

This new Take-Two publishing label stands alongside Rockstar and 2K Games, but it plays by much different rules. Rather than going big with benchmark-setting endeavors like Grand Theft Auto or supporting perennial juggernauts like NBA 2K, the new label’s directive is to identify smaller teams of experienced developers with great ideas, fund their projects, and in a surprise twist, let the studios keep the rights to the intellectual property.

Also:

“It was the opportunity to work with Tim on a new IP that we were creating from scratch again, because we did it on Fallout and Arcanum and those were great experiences and I just missed doing that, says Boyarsky, who most recently worked on Diablo III for Blizzard. “I missed working on single-player, in-depth RPGs with a lot of choice, consequence, and reactivity. I like making other types of games, but there is something special about the kind of games we started with Fallout that really appeals to us and speaks to us creatively.”

The duo plans to reveal more about the project at a later date, but Cain says “If people have liked our previous RPGs they're going to like this one in terms of how we make reactive worlds and especially our style of humor.”

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 11

That looks... promising. 2K what are you up to? What I am curious is this: Does this new 2K label also share the sentiment to include "recurrent consumer spending fir every title" published?

I doubt it, this seems to be an attempt to attract creative talent in order to establish new successful IPs. Take-Two's portfolio is getting a little slim and aged these days.

Also I'm not even sure how true that sentiment will be given EA's recent fate.

Excellent news. Not just for Obsidian, but for the other companies involved as well. Sad news is if one of those articles is correct the game won't be out before 31st of March 2019. Unless if their "planning" just means they aren't sure just yet and won't announce such release dates before they are sure that the games can hit those fiscal years.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Excellent news. Not just for Obsidian, but for the other companies involved as well. Sad news is if one of those articles is correct the game won't be out before 31st of March 2019. Unless if their "planning" just means they aren't sure just yet and won't announce such release dates before they are sure that the games can hit those fiscal years.

It's in the original press release from Take-Two, so yeah it's probably correct!

Edited by Infinitron

Plenty of development tarmac is usually a good sign to me.

• Like 1

"Recently, Take-Two announced that all their upcoming games would feature microtransactions but it’s not clear whether that will include this new label"

https://www.pcgamesn.com/obsidian-rpg-take-two

If you  introduce  microtransactions  in any form to your new IP    i will jump from the bridge!!! 

Obsidian is   last hope  for the true RPG lovers. Darkness is consuming the  gaming world ,  its spreading  like FEV virus  across  wasteland , microtransactions, lootboxes and other crap  that ruins gameplay . No  quality story,characters, RPG elements    just  waterdown **** made for  sheeps .  So  ,the last  one us  are  looking at  YOU  yes YOU Obsidian , do you  stand your ground as hero?

Microtransactions on a new IP is just dumb. That is sending people's hard work to die, and distracting them from making the best thing that they could possibly make.

I think what Take-Two means, is that RDR2 is also getting a "GTA-Online" mode. That all of their strong IPs will have some optional online, micro-translation based component to them going forward.

I will be shocked if Take-Two tries to spoil these projects before they launch.

That's outrageous, scandalous and Idontknowwhatous.

I demand that the developers rethink their strategy and add these features into the game. How else are they going to show people that this game is the real deal? I'll go flip a table or something.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A person who worked at Obsidian told me the IP is their own post apoc fallout like universe. Since they have come to terms they are not going to see the fallout license anytime soon they decided since they have the fallout core devs in-house just put them to work to make their own IP fallout/wasteland like game they own so they are not at the mercy of another publisher. FYI

A person who worked at Obsidian told me the IP is their own post apoc fallout like universe. Since they have come to terms they are not going to see the fallout license anytime soon they decided since they have the fallout core devs in-house just put them to work to make their own IP fallout/wasteland like game they own so they are not at the mercy of another publisher. FYI

Yet with Fallout and Wasteland already existing, it seems they could wade into something more distinct. Execution is everything so I won't say it's a terrible investment. Bethesda is likely letting FO sleep to do their next TES. I was really thinking it would be their own Vampire IP though, or something totally else. Post-apoc was probably the last thing I had in mind.

I certainly wouldn't mind a fresh take on a post-apocalyptic world. We've gotten nuclear wastelands, and various returns to nature. If they did something like return to classical civilization with a menagerie of modern artifacts that prop up weird new faiths. Sort of like what happened to Rasta's in Gibson's fiction, but take that an reclaim sort of Greek/Norse primal mythos in a post-fossil fuel world. I could really be into that.

I'll keep an open mind. Also if you are wrong... well don't be wrong.