The NHL Thread

Krookie

Fleury reminds me a ton of Mike Vernon. They both have stretches where they look like pretty average goalies, but then when the game is important, they just get the job done. They also both are super chill about it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Hurlshot - how was your trip out to Vegas?

I had to cancel because we moved. :(

I actually made a pretty good profit on the tickets though. Vegas is just killing it on tickets this season. I'm cautiously optimistic that the Sharks will have a good showing. It will be a physical series.

Congrats on the move, at least! 

I'm rooting for 7 games and a ton of OT because this has been a great series already! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For YEARS, I had to read nonsense about how Alexander Ovechkin was not a winner. that despite all his goals and accomplishments he was garbage. Yte, another time, where the so call 'experts' who hate on players because they 'choke' have to eat their words but they'll make excuses of course, have to deal with the fact they they are, as usual, WRONG. So WRONG.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALEXANDER OVECHKIN STANLEY CUP CHAMPION.

Take. that. scumbags.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Happy for Ovechkin. Otherwise ambivalent. I don't like the Caps much.

The Panthers fired Gerard Gallant. WTF?? Really? WTF? Obviously he wasn't the problem. They went in the tank and he went to the Stanly cup finals.

F-----g Panthers.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Decided to drive down to DC on Thursday on the off chance the Caps won. Totally worth the 4.5 hour drive. Watched the game outside the arena with some buddies who live down there. The city-wide celebration afterwards was awesome. 

We went to the Nationals game the next day and Ovi threw out the first pitch (twice, because he airmailed it the first time hahaha). 

Super happy for him and Backstrom. Great moment, and it figures that he finally wound up winning the season after everyone seemed to pick against them. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've become a bit obsessed with this kid:

[Youtube]

He's injuried atm, but what a talent. Watch out for this Swedish alien! The Canucks should count themselves lucky!

Just watch how he whisks in those pucks hard and with uncanny precision. And I like how he announce his intention to shoot a second in advance - sliding up, arms ready with the stick. He's like the Swedish pike, ready to strike from among the reeds pretty blatantly and openly, just going all in for the kill. It's a cruel thing for the opposing goalie, knowing that when you look up and see Elias's arms up, it's already too late. Rip! As in r.i.p.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

• 3 weeks later...

Red Wings for life, the 90's days were heavenly as the wings were undefeated for a string of years. The days were Yzerman, Federov, Lindstrom, Osgood were the team everyone feared. I don't think there will ever be a better lineup in our lifetime.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I took my son to his first NHL game last night. I think I took him to a couple when he was younger, but he doesn't remember it. He's 9 now and has been playing for 3 seasons. He's actually played two games at the Shark Tank with his mite teams, so it was fun for him to see the big guys on the ice. 

Sharks are having a pretty mediocre year, which is why it was easy for me to get tickets. I spend so much for the two of us to play that I have a hard time shelling out much money to watch a game. Still, I've been to two games this season and Patrick Marleau has scored in both of them. The guy has 22 seasons in the NHL with 10 or more goals. That is remarkable.