My planned party (beta impressions based)

mrmonocle

PC: riposting unbroken/trickster - a really tanky tank.

second tank: chanter(no sub)/pal - great synergy for aura and song effect

melee dps: quarter staff or pike devoted/soulblade - superior penetration and boom boom

priest (pure): not sure yet which tree to exclude, but restoration and punishment are a must

wizard (pure): for cc and aoe.

a sound NO to druids, rangers, monks and other in-betweens. wizard melee hybrids don't seem to work as well in the current system.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

In the current implementation I wouldn’t take a pure Wizard if it came with a free sixth party member slot :)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

In the current implementation I wouldn’t take a pure Wizard if it came with a free sixth party member slot :)

I'm inclined to agree, will have to decide later.

priest (pure): not sure yet which tree to exclude, but restoration and punishment are a must.

I might be remembering wrong, but I thought it had been announced that Obsidian were going to remove restricted trees from Priests in the next beta patch.

Yes they're going to do away with restricted spells.

Edit:

Source here

Edited by dam
  • Like 2

Based on the current Beta my munchkin team would be:

• Utilizing dual wielded fast attack weapons such as daggers and clubs with stillettos on switch
  • Multi-classes with Paladin

The reasons for the above are 

• With the removal of DR only penetration matters so a stiletto will out damage a Greatsword.
  • Fast attack weapons do almost 50% more dps than slow attack (not counting the bugged one handers such as sabres, swords, maces and warhammers)
  • Paladin multiclasses get Deep Faith which adds +20 defense to everything. access to Lay on Hands, Sworn Enemy, Flames of Devotion and auras

In the actual game I'll be using the story companions.

• Paladin multiclasses get Deep Faith which adds +20 defense to everything. access to Lay on Hands, Sworn Enemy, Flames of Devotion and auras

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, because +20 to all defenses is super overpowered.

When comparing, it is mandatory to have a frame of reference.

Your current frame of reference for "super OP" is "at the party's level in the beta".

It is obvious that the passive will have diminishing returns as the game progresses.

You get much more value from it when your regular defense is 20 (as in, 20 + 20 = double) than you will later on when your regular defense is 110 (as in, 110 + 20 = still OK but meh).

Following the same line of thought, the attack scores of enemies go up as the game progresses, while the ability's defense boost is static.

It is, possibly, too soon to judge.

• Like 1

When comparing, it is mandatory to have a frame of reference.

Your current frame of reference for "super OP" is "at the party's level in the beta".

It is obvious that the passive will have diminishing returns as the game progresses.

You get much more value from it when your regular defense is 20 (as in, 20 + 20 = double) than you will later on when your regular defense is 110 (as in, 110 + 20 = still OK but meh).

Following the same line of thought, the attack scores of enemies go up as the game progresses, while the ability's defense boost is static.

It is, possibly, too soon to judge.</p>

With a d100 system, 20 is 20 pretty much forever. Whether you have to roll a 21 or a 100, 20 helps by exactly 20. Edited by PugPug

+20 defense to all is fracking great!

The typical buff ability gets you +10 to one defense, some like the Cipher's Iron Will get +15. The paladin gets +20 to all which is like getting seven abilities for the cost of an innate class ability plus one additional.

+20 deflection is equivalent to using a Superb small shield but without the loss of damage output. You can dual wield and still have better deflection than a Fighter with sword and shield style.

For truly scary numbers roll a Templar of Wael and get Illusion buffs like mirror image to go with priest and paladin buffs. Or go for an Arcane Knight and get all the Wizard self buffs.

In PoE Paladins had the best defense by far, here that is now available to everyone via multi-classing.

The typical buff ability gets you +10 to one defense, some like the Cipher's Iron Will get +15. The paladin gets +20 to all which is like getting seven abilities for the cost of an innate class ability plus one additional.

+20 deflection is equivalent to using a Superb small shield but without the loss of damage output. You can dual wield and still have better deflection than a Fighter with sword and shield style.

For truly scary numbers roll a Templar of Wael and get Illusion buffs like mirror image to go with priest and paladin buffs. Or go for an Arcane Knight and get all the Wizard self buffs.

In PoE Paladins had the best defense by far, here that is now available to everyone via multi-classing.

The innate class ability is +12.5 to all defense, and Deep faith upgrades it to +20 to all defense, if this is overpowered, how much defense should it adds to the class? Innate class ability should be stronger than the rest ability because it's the core ability that defines the role of class, so what bonus do u prefer it add to paladin? +5, +7, +10?

The innate class ability is +12.5 to all defense, and Deep faith upgrades it to +20 to all defense, if this is overpowered, how much defense should it adds to the class? Innate class ability should be stronger than the rest ability because it's the core ability that defines the role of class, so what bonus do u prefer it add to paladin? +5, +7, +10?

I'm not saying its overpowered, just that it is very powerful. Plus remember that all the Paladins come with innate disadvantages as well like Bleak Walkers get -30% healing, Kind Wayfareres do less damage when sneak attacking and so on.

If it did not have Deep Faith and only had the +12.5 from Faith and Conviction it'd still be very powerful and would still be high on the list for my Munchkin Death Squad.

If you nerf it down to oblivion you end up just making Paladins a weak choice. As it is they and Priests are the only classes that have any reason to roleplay anything besides the Neutral Evil "we want more powah and loot!!" that all the other classes can be.

I imagine Faith and Conviction will be changed with the full release to either scale with dispositions* (for the Watcher) or scale with power level for other characters. This should reduce its power for multiclass characters a little which seems fair.

*Assuming dispositions are still in?

Ι really hope they balance the weapons (or the penetration system).

If what I'm reading in different threads is correct, Ι will end up making barbarians and paladins wielding daggers and stilettos :(

They're changing the penetration system to be less punishing in the next beta patch and will no doubt keep tweaking it until release (and perhaps beyond). Fingers crossed they'll find a good balance.