Update Timeline?

zealotstim

I'm just wondering if there's a rough timeline on the next beta update somewhere. I've played through the beta about half a dozen times so far, and I'm getting bored haha. I have to imagine they have fixed a ton of bugs at this point, and I know they are planning to change how some stats and spell cast times, graze, etc. I'm eager to see how the game plays with these changes. So... any idea?

• Like 4

If the updates are meaty, yeah I think it could be enough. The game won't be perfect when it comes out. There are always lots of bugs and other things that need to be changed. I'm betting that by the summer (Northern), the state of the game will be pretty close to what it will be forever. Prior to that, a lot can change. If you recall all the stronghold changes and class changes from poe1, you know the version that was released originally changed a lot.

If the updates are meaty, yeah I think it could be enough. The game won't be perfect when it comes out. There are always lots of bugs and other things that need to be changed. I'm betting that by the summer (Northern), the state of the game will be pretty close to what it will be forever. Prior to that, a lot can change. If you recall all the stronghold changes and class changes from poe1, you know the version that was released originally changed a lot.

I mostly care about gameplay and mechanics, not so much about bugs (tbh, I never experienced bugs in many games that were supposed to be bugfests - I don't know).

Yeah I remember how stuff drastically changed in Pillars 1; however, I'd prefer a feature-complete game at launch with extra stuff (not changing stuff) coming with expanion(s).

Edited by Sedrefilos

With so many bugs in beta I hope they will take some time to fix everything... Let it be q2 or so, better polished then raw like dos 2 :)

But an update to try out game with fixes would be nice.

Everybody have some serious CPU usage running current beta?

Edited by Nail

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

I didn’t track usage as I know too little about computers to make a useful analysis. All I know it runs really badly. Considering big changes they are doing q1 does seem a bit too soon. I hope that Deadfire 1.0 won’t feel like another beta full of balance problems and bunch of bugs. Still, with so many changes going on we might have to wait till 3.0 for a really polished experience. Whatever, as long as it’s fun I am for it.

Assuming the game will be released at end of March '18 (sqeezing every day of the Q1) and updating the beta about once per month, this means there are going to be about 3 more beta builds before everything is set to stone.

Do you guys think this is enough?

March is the end of the fiscal 4th quarter, which is what I think devs go by. End of the 1st fiscal quarter is around June.

Assuming the game will be released at end of March '18 (sqeezing every day of the Q1) and updating the beta about once per month, this means there are going to be about 3 more beta builds before everything is set to stone.

Do you guys think this is enough?

March is the end of the fiscal 4th quarter, which is what I think devs go by. End of the 1st fiscal quarter is around June.

So they advertise a game based on fiscal years? Who does that?

I'm pretty sure when they say Q1 '18 they mean calendar Q1.

They did mention March explicitly during the Fig campaign.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

With so many bugs in beta I hope they will take some time to fix everything... Let it be q2 or so, better polished then raw like dos 2 :)

But an update to try out game with fixes would be nice.

Everybody have some serious CPU usage running current beta?

Yeah my laptop's CPU goes 80 C when runing the beta....

I don't think a lickstarter game has ever hit the initial announced calendar target. I'm expecting May / June ish.

That's true but all other projects usually announce their delay way before the promised realeased date. Obsidian is 3 months till release and seem quite confident that'll hit the promised date. I dont know.

Edited by Sedrefilos

I don't think a lickstarter game has ever hit the initial announced calendar target. I'm expecting May / June ish.

That's true but all other projects usually announce their delay way before the promised realeased date. Obsidian is 3 months till release and seem quite confident that'll hit the promised date. I dont know.

To be honest, I for one would rather they announce a delay 2 weeks before release, than do a rush job.

Contrary to popular belief, a postponed release is actually excellent news for a game.

It means the developer and the publisher have managed to reach an accord with regards to game quality vs economic pressure.

It also means the developer has found bugs (which is a good thing, there are always bugs, I'd be more worried if there weren't any) and is working on fixing them.

As for what constitutes an acceptable advance notice, it all depends on your customer base and the market.

They could tell me it's delayed the exact day it was scheduled to go live, and I'd still cheer them on.

• Like 5

Same here. If they feel like more time is needed, that’s perfectly fine by me.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus