One handen weapon + Firearm

Roda

I made a character with the concept a melee combatient that alternates hammer and blunderbuss attacks. The idea was staying at melee range.

What I found was that the character completly ignores the blunderbuss if it is in melee range and attacks only with the hammer as it was only the hammer equiped. It is a bug? Working as intended? (would be a shame).

'twas a fun idea, but something that makes you better at shooting stuff with a pistol makes more sense for a proficiency than hitting people with it.

I believe it's intended that you attack with your melee weapon if you're in close range. Dunno how close you're getting where you still want to hit them with the Blunderbuss, though.

Edited by Lamppost in Winter

'twas a fun idea, but something that makes you better at shooting stuff with a pistol makes more sense for a proficiency than hitting people with it.

I believe it's intended that you attack with your melee weapon if you're in close range. Dunno how close you're getting where you still want to hit them with the Blunderbuss, though.

Yeah now when u wield one hand and pistol, u will attack with melee weapon in close range, and use pistol in far range. There is a bug now that the one hand weapon will get the dual weapon recovery bonus...

Hey you bunch of inquisitive gamers,

The current design for pistol/sword attacks;

(Both situations should get the 20% buff from dual weapon stance)

While in Melee - Characters will only use the Sword

While at Range - Characters will stay at range and only shoot

This of course can/may change. Give it some love, let us know how it feels. Getting the 'right' feel on this one is definitely on our mind and we are looking for any tweaks we can make.

I got your backs

-SKing

• Like 4

"If" it chagens to alternate shoot and melee while you stay at melee maybe add a talent that reduce firearm recharge while offhand or something like that (instead of the 20% bonus because as dunehunter said it sounds a little bit weird). Or maybe a free firearm attack between "X" melee attacks?

This of course can/may change. Give it some love, let us know how it feels. Getting the 'right' feel on this one is definitely on our mind and we are looking for any tweaks we can make.

I got your backs

-SKing

Dual wielding gets a +50% to action speed, the Fighter ability Two weapon style or whatever its called adds another +20%.

Instead of getting the dual wielding bonuses could you make it give single weapon bonus of +12 accuracy to the pistol shot and then +12 accuracy to the sword?

I got your backs

-SKing

What do you mean pistol cannot be used in melee range ?! John Wick strongly disagrees ! (maybe give the firearm some accuracy penalty in melee range - but let it fire )

also dodge-this.png

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

Seems odd to me that people are getting caught up on the dual wielding bonus specifically.

Personally I think either one would be fine... but I'm not sure I like the set up in general, what's wrong with shooting the pistol in melee exactly? I think I'd prefer it to alternate between them in melee, only shoot at range, dual-wield bonus in both cases (or switch the bonus to single-weapon at range but that just gets confusing...).

• Like 2

I don't mind shooting the pistol in melee but reloading it seems like an issue.

Yes, giving one shot in melee is reasonable. It has been 20 years since I reloaded a flint-lock style pistol, and I doubt I could do it one handed while a crazy fish person was screaming and drooling on me. 

• Like 2

I don't mind shooting the pistol in melee but reloading it seems like an issue.

Yes, thats why I think one general or (maybe figther?) talent that grants a free shoot "even at melee" between "x" melee attacks if you have a blunderbuss or pistol equiped could be great. Or maybe replace a fighter subclass bonus as the one from black jacket. A pirate could be a concept example?

I was expecting to alternate between the two when dual wielding so I was disappointed.

A rapier in one hand and a pistol in the other LOOKS rad, but how it works right now is not worth it at all. I have to manually move my character RIGHT NEXT TO the enemy to get her to use her rapier - and usually there's a delay while she reloads her pistol anyway!

I got tired of it and just switched them to different weapon sets. It definitely needs to be reworked.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

I was expecting to alternate between the two when dual wielding so I was disappointed.

A rapier in one hand and a pistol in the other LOOKS rad, but how it works right now is not worth it at all. I have to manually move my character RIGHT NEXT TO the enemy to get her to use her rapier - and usually there's a delay while she reloads her pistol anyway!

I got tired of it and just switched them to different weapon sets. It definitely needs to be reworked.

you could theoretically make it a special Weapon Style, just for (one handed melee weapon) + pistol/blundy

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1

"Weird"? The whole thing is different from what we're accustomed to. Not using the pistol in melee is counterintuitive. The whole fantasy genre is weird AF (for that matter, technology, logic, and science are deeply weird to most people... if you mean "illogical" or "counterintuitive" or "ridiculous" or "different" you should just write that). 

The idea is that you're using a pistol while also holding a sword, or holding a pistol while using a sword, because you might rapidly transition from melee to ranged. If you're trying to shoot a pistol while simultaneously holding a sword, you're not just single-wielding, you're juggling two weapons at once and operating one of them with just a single hand (without the other hand to steady the pistol). So it makes about as much logical sense for the dual-wielding bonus to apply. From a strategy perspective, the dual-wielding bonus to action speed may be more useful than the single-wield accuracy bonus---at least it gives you more options.

• Like 2

Historically speaking, in the time period that this game is roughly set in, you wouldn't try to reload a pistol in combat -- they were considered one-shot deals, you'd fire them first then charge in with a sword afterwards. Period accounts of naval combat especially are full of "discharged my pistol, threw it aside, and charged with my sword" type stuff.

If you were going to be reloading, you'd be in formation with muskets and bayonets. 

Thing is saying you couldn't reload guns and crossbows in melee would be a balance problem.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1

You do get a -10 deflection when holding an Arquebus, bow and crossbow when you are attacked in melee so they do sort of get that into the game.

Why don't we have bayonets? You could be traditional and have your Arquebus become a spear or go Blade II and get slashing daggers attached to your pistols.