Simple rebalance for Res/Per/Dex/Might

Raenvan

Yeah, depending on how they rework Interrupt/concentration, then giving critical hits a chance to interrupt and Resolve a chance to reduce incoming crits * could* be a "way out" for this issue; per would still be the worst overall dps stat, but good for crit or interrupt builds. I'm not sure how the numbers would need to work out on Resolve to achieve parity though.

edit: yeah the extra penetration bonus etc. from critical hits isn't easily factorable into this analysis. Presumably it'll be pretty rare unless you're stacking the deck in a bunch of ways to get it, but as rough shorthand, we can probably assume that it's not enough to bring Per at 2.4% per point up to the value of Dex at 2.7% per point.

I also think there are strong arguments for returning to a 50% bonus for critical hits regardless of this change. As I understand it, the reason for the reduction was that CC crits were considered too powerful -- but just as with grazes, that turns out to be less of a concern than you might think, because CC overall isn't as powerful in this game due to the altered Affliction system. Similarly, if Resolve got a "reduce incoming criticals" function, that would also work to minimize the issue.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Yeah, depending on how they rework Interrupt/concentration, then giving critical hits a chance to interrupt and Resolve a chance to reduce incoming crits * could* be a "way out" for this issue; per would still be the worst overall dps stat, but good for crit or interrupt builds. I'm not sure how the numbers would need to work out on Resolve to achieve parity though.

edit: yeah the extra penetration bonus etc. from critical hits isn't easily factorable into this analysis. Presumably it'll be pretty rare unless you're stacking the deck in a bunch of ways to get it, but as rough shorthand, we can probably assume that it's not enough to bring Per at 2.4% per point up to the value of Dex at 2.7% per point.

I also think there are strong arguments for returning to a 50% bonus for critical hits regardless of this change. As I understand it, the reason for the reduction was that CC crits were considered too powerful -- but just as with grazes, that turns out to be less of a concern than you might think, because CC overall isn't as powerful in this game due to the altered Affliction system. Similarly, if Resolve got a "reduce incoming criticals" function, that would also work to minimize the issue.

As you proposed earlier, 4x larger probability of crits with 25% damage bonus, or equivalently, same probabilty with 100% damage bonus would give near parity with Might. This assumes no penetration bonus, no interrupt bonus and +1 Accuracy per Perception. So your 50% bonus is absolutely needed, unless Perception grants +1.5 Accuracy (which I still prefer).

If Perception were scaled up with real criticals, Resolve would be balanced automatically to my opinion. No though work required. If somebody dumped Resolve, he'd suffer from enemies' crits on him. As for suggesting interrupting criticals, I meant not only some chance to interrupt, but inherently 100%. Which is one more argument not to dump Resolve.

I may have a very simplified damage estimation for criticals' penetration bonus. Let's assume that penetration and armor rating have uniform distribution in the same interval. In this case, the crit's penetration bonus upgades no penetration to normal one with 16.6% probability (-70% damage restored), and normal to full also with 16.6% (+30% damage). In average, the damage made is increased by 16.6% due to penetration bonus. Which is smaller than the 25% damage bonus we have now.