Character limitation

Sorry if that was already discussed, but the search engine is a bit annoying when we would like to try several researchs.

Currently, characters limitation is set to 24.

At this time, with previous 11 characters from "Rise of the Runelords", i already consummed 22 slots (2 carrier paths by characters), so... is this limit will be removed soon? I will be interested to buy their alternate ways (Scholar Ezren, Forest Harsk, etc.), but if i only have 2 slots available, bah... i couldn't play with them except by deleting long-hours-endevour with the past ones. And i am not sure to accept thrashing all these efforts for that.

Is the limitation is set by Adventures? Just to know what will happen if i buying the Goblins adventure. May i have a new free 24 characters slots for goblins or will i face the same limitation as for RotR?

And last, what about the Valeros adventure? Same limitation of RotR? For this one, i saw that there is only one new character incoming, so anyway, i will find a slot for her.

But, as new adventures are incoming, it could be nice to increase or removing the chararcter limitation.

Edited by Sigurd33

24 total. I think that iOs has some limitations that has to be aplied Also to other platforms. In anyway the right way of playing this is to play adventure, retire old stuff and play new adventure with new characters, so only reason to have multible characters os to play different croups at the same time and 24 allows 4 separate croups at the same time so 24 is quite plenty.

Old characters Are not needed to anything because level 6 is the highest that you ever get in Pathfinder, so old characters Are useless when They reach the end of adventure. There is variant where you play using old level 6 characters in level 4-6 in Wrath without having mythic path. If there ever be that option, then we definitely need those extra slots, by there has not been any hints that that is going to happen any time soon.

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lhxk?Wrath-of-the-Righteous-The-LongAwaited#discuss

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

Thumbs up for levelling all 11 characters in both available paths. Regarding the alternate skins, you can change their skin "on-fly". That is, if you have the Evoker Ezren, you can make him into the Evoker Scholar Ezren - but you have to switch some of his cards. So, you need no more character slots for them. But the Ranzak, Poog and Tontelizi (all males) are new characters - the former two are goblins, the latter from Valeros' adventure.

The character limit is fixed at 24 (so far) and the developers often recommended not to use them all lest your device might run out of memory (if low-end). In the future, as they add more characters (hopefully a lot of them :) ), the developers will be forced to add more slots. If we talk about it a lot, maybe they will notice and add it to their looooooong list of things-to-do.

• Like 1

Old characters Are not needed to anything because level 6 is the highest that you ever get in Pathfinder, so old characters Are useless when They reach the end of adventure.

Definitely not useless. Yes, they got to the end of RotR adventure path and story-wise are finished with the adventure path, but you can mix them up and play on Legendary and experiment with them. Replayability in this game is huge and it would be bad to dispose of old characters (especially if you are a completitionist who wants to have/collect everything).

• Like 1

Damned. :blink:

Not enough slots for the 3 new characters so...

Old characters are definitely not useless. I using them for replay RotR in Heroic or Legendary mode.

I also use them a lot to fullfill challenges, specially in Legendary mode, as this is not something that i would like to do with rookie ones.

And, as both carriers paths where developped, i can choose my style with different options. Minor differences, but fun ones as you can replay with different strategies.

Regarding alternate skins, i did not pay attention, but skills and power developments are the same as the original skin?

So... please, dev team. Could you increase a little bit more? o:) 

Regarding alternate skins, i did not pay attention, but skills and power developments are the same as the original skin?

Alternate skins are in almost every way the same character with the same power progress (with slight changes to basic powers like Frost Seoni's = Fire and Cold blast). The skills (dice) are slightly or not-so-slightly different - 1d8 instead of 1d6 and such. There are changes in subskills like addition of Fortitude to a character or changes in the existing skill (Divine Wisdom+1 instead of Wisdom+2 and such). And then there is also slight change in card amounts like +1 Ally, -1 Blessing. There was a perfect list of changes, but I cannot find it now. Sorry. Powers are the same, so "only" the skills, secondary skills and card amounts are different.

• Like 2

There was a perfect list of changes, but I cannot find it now. Sorry. Powers are the same, so "only" the skills, secondary skills and card amounts are different.

Here's the list you're looking for.

Borissimo gave us an epic writeup of all the iconic alternates.  I think the only thing it is missing is the Valentine's Promo alts for Valeros and Harsk.  One can swap out the skins (also called Equipment Sets) just as easily as they can change a characters's set of dice.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 2

The character limit is fixed at 24 (so far) and the developers often recommended not to use them all lest your device might run out of memory (if low-end). 

The memory problem should have been addressed a little better in their "smart streaming" patch from a while back.  If I recall correctly, Pathfinder was doing the typical "LOAD ALL THE THINGS!!!1!" behavior in Unity:

(24 characters) X (~20 cards, with text, art, and image assets) = I hope your device has enough horsepower to immediately jam that all into memory

Doesn't seem like much, but it was the tabletop equivalent of 500 face-up cards that suddenly need to get built and displayed (whether or not they were actually visible).  Nowadays, it should't just arbitrarily grab a huge chunk of memory like that, and focuses more on what is displayed in front of you.

Anyhow, probably the biggest thing preventing an increase in the roster size is that the character picker is a little clunky.  It is already a bit of a pain dealing with the present limit.  That interface would probably need some rework to not be utterly maddening to sort through like 35 characters.   :p

bUehFi3.png

(No, I'm not sure at all what I did to have so many characters, but I deleted a bunch before the game had a chance to get really mad at me.) ;)

Heh... Sounds like old duplication bug!

;)

Some of your characters get duplicated. Most likely due that the game misses the interconnection and so you have two a Little but different versions of the same character.

Yup.  I was playing around with things to see how glitchy I could make things before the game broke.  Sometimes I'm surprised that my account still works...  :p

• Like 1

It sounds like you need to turn on the permadeath feature. That might clear out some of your character slots for you. :p

Seriously though, kudos for building up all your characters that high. I usually just delete an old party and start a new one like Hannibal_PJV said.

• 4 weeks later...

the right way of playing this

Unless you're playing an extremely niche game- one which is intentionally built to cater to a specific, narrow playstyle- "right" is something which varies from player to player (as everyone has their own unique set of preferences). A good game attempts to cater to as many playstyles as their design is suitable for, and that they can feasibly implement the necessary components for. I'm a collection-minded player, so deleting characters only ever feels like a step backward to me- and when I feel I'm stepping backward, I end up leaving a game. 

Given the extremely limited collection functionalities in this game, it's not feasible to continue to build and bank distinct characters if character slots are overly limited. Thus, as the game goes on, there'll need to be either an increase in character slots, in stash size, or in being able to save different preloads for skin-swaps. Otherwise, the game- regardless of how "right" it is for some players- will end up pushing out the players who take a completionistic, have-one-of-each-type-built, approach to things.

24 slots is a pretty sizable chunk, so it's not like they're starting with a crippling handicap- but if their plans are based in releasing further reskins and characters (and let's hope they are), then that limitation- any limitation that's under the number of possible builds- will start feeling more and more restrictive.

Honestly, I think the skin-swap separate-inventory approach is a particularly lovely one, as it'd reduce the need for extra character slots, and it'd potentially allow you a bit more versatility in where you distribute items after a run, rather than relying on the limited stash alone. And, it'd do that by fitting neatly into the existing paid unlock dynamic, without needing to add new store purchases. It'd address a lot of the limitations that currently are dissuasive to us more collection-minded players, all with a singular change.