How Does one get access to this beta

peddroelm

Backer portal. $35 for the game; $20 for the beta add-on.

Welcome aboard :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

If you go to the backer page you can select the $35 buy digital game and then hit the upgrade for beta access, I think it was $20 or something like a total of $55.

This is what I did the day after the Beta went live and it has been money well spent.

Well it does seem somewhat dubious for them to charge extra from people who are basically doing work for them (testing/balance/feedback etc.. ) 

On the other hand the project seems very interesting to me :) .. 

I do have a let's play planned for a different game but then, probably I'll bite the bullet and check out this thing ..

WPNTVf7.jpg

You get a copy of the game for $55 (plus Beta access) which is like what a new release game costs anyway.

Plus finding what is broken as far as being overpowered is a lot of fun. You also get a way to help shape how the game comes out possibly.

..installing .. but might be some days until I can focus on this ..

Not much satisfaction for me to see what's OP at this extremely early stage of development .. 

My primary drive for this type of projects has always been figuring out how the various systems (are supposed to) work ..  

Also the super advanced combat logger (compared to the competition) pretty much gets my money by default .. 

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

I would say backer beta is really for people who are interested in the project, want to see how it develops, want to give feedback and make sure it is the best game it can be (or it fits the most my taste:-P).

As far as fun-buy it is not a good offer. It is not a polished early access game Klei tends to release. There is little content, its buggy, unbalanced, runs poorly. 

The benefit of such convoluted to pay paywall is that only people who are really interested in the project get in. And its part of crowdfunding culture by now.

• Like 1

Yeah, the beta isn't worth buying as a game, it's only worth buying into if you want to roleplay an armchair game developer and either do a bunch of bug hunting, tinker around with game mechanics, or shout your Game Opinions into the great maw of the internet.

I mean, it's a fun little window into the next game, but that's all it is. 

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 2

Yeah, the beta isn't worth buying as a game, it's only worth buying into if you want to roleplay an armchair game developer and either do a bunch of bug hunting, tinker around with game mechanics, or shout your Game Opinions into the great maw of the internet.

But you get the actual game when it is released as well for that $55 expenditure. Its not like you are paying $55 for beta and then have to buy the game later.

But you get the actual game when it is released as well for that $55 expenditure. Its not like you are paying $55 for beta and then have to buy the game later.

No, but if you are looking for a pure, selfish entertainment there are better ways to spend $20. Not that one shouldn’t buy into Deadfire beta. Just wanting to make sure, one knows what is going into.

• Like 1