Island Aumaua, Why did you have to ruin them?

KDubya

Seriously the old Island Aumaua with its extra weapon slot was a great choice for lots of character builds. The new 'able to walk faster through quicksand' seems like a poor joke.

Currently only Fighters can get a third weapon slot and only the gimped BlackJacket subclass can get the fourth.

To avoid any UI issue of an Island Aumaua Blackjacket having five weapon slots just have the Island Aumaua racial block taking the Arm's Bearer ability, or a better solution is to give BlackJackets something else or just delete them from the game. Giving up Constant Recovery for an extra weapon slot is the worst trade ever. 

Then a Fighter can get three with the ability, three with selecting Island Aumaua, three with Blackjacket or four with either Blackjacket and the ability or Blackjacket and the racial.

Non Fighters could get a third weapon slot from choosing Island Aumaua or by taking Arms bearer from the new weapon proficiency general abilities list. If you got rid of the Blackjacket subclass you could let island Aumaua take Arms bearer and have four weapon slots.

The human racial didn't exactly get better either, and it wasn't even good to begin with.  I would have taken one of the new resistance traits over something that requires me to be half dead to activate, or preferably the nature godlike trait.  I just want to play humans and not feel underwhelmed by the racial, lol.

• Like 4

Seriously the old Island Aumaua with its extra weapon slot was a great choice for lots of character builds. The new 'able to walk faster through quicksand' seems like a poor joke.

Currently only Fighters can get a third weapon slot and only the gimped BlackJacket subclass can get the fourth.

To avoid any UI issue of an Island Aumaua Blackjacket having five weapon slots just have the Island Aumaua racial block taking the Arm's Bearer ability, or a better solution is to give BlackJackets something else or just delete them from the game. Giving up Constant Recovery for an extra weapon slot is the worst trade ever. 

Then a Fighter can get three with the ability, three with selecting Island Aumaua, three with Blackjacket or four with either Blackjacket and the ability or Blackjacket and the racial.

Non Fighters could get a third weapon slot from choosing Island Aumaua or by taking Arms bearer from the new weapon proficiency general abilities list. If you got rid of the Blackjacket subclass you could let island Aumaua take Arms bearer and have four weapon slots.

Black Jack gives me the feeling that you spend a lot micromanagement on them, but the clicks just doesn't turn into damage or whatever effectively. A Berserker or Devoted auto attacks much better and easier.

The human racial didn't exactly get better either, and it wasn't even good to begin with.  I would have taken one of the new resistance traits over something that requires me to be half dead to activate, or preferably the nature godlike trait.  I just want to play humans and not feel underwhelmed by the racial, lol.

The human racial is still noticeable if it gets to activate. +7 accuracy and +15% damage aren't bad. On a Streetfighter or a Barbarian you can stack additional bonuses when you get low on health and really put out some pain.

The Island Aumaua racial is completely useless except on specific maps and then its merely useless as the slight mobility speed debuff is not crippling in the least.

• Like 1

Well it depends on how many slog zones we will see. In the beta there's only one, so yeah: bummer! ;)

But who knows which other slog zones there may be an which effects they may have. Imagine a black dragon who lives in a pool of tar...

But generally I agree that it sounds a bit weak and situational at the moment.

I don't think Black Jackets are that bad.

First of all they are quite nice to multiclass with anything that wants to use guns (made a Black Jacket Sharpshooter for testing and it was quite powerful). Here you also don't need Constant Recovery. If there will be an AI scripting option that lets you switch automatically after a gunshot this would be very powerful without the tedious micromanagement.

Secondly you can crank up your dps like a Devoted in the current PEN system if you play a Black Jacket and have no meta knowledge. Because if you carry around let's say a great sword, an estoc, dual clubs and dual sabres you can always choose the right weapon. Enemy with super high PEN? Attack with maces, quickly change to estoc, attack, switch back to maces once the PEN malus is gone and so on. Same if one of your party members causes an affliction and you can switch to the great sword modal to finish the enemy off very quickly. The difference between base damage (compare estoc to great sword) is quite big so you get very different results if you know how to adapt the weapon to your enemy (and his current state) properly.

However, it's very cumbersome business. Also here: if there would be a way to script AI so that a char would automatically switch his weapon so that it matches AR it would make this guy better.

I also think they should have come up with something else than taking away Constant Recovery.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Unless they redesign slog zones to make them more annoying, the current 'move a little slower through them' with every other race is barely noticeable. It adds some nice atmosphere and I like how it feels when I'm in it but it doesn't ever make me wish I had picked an Island Aumaua instead of anything else. 

The old extra weapon slot island Aumaua was probably my most picked race, that extra slot was just so useful. Here it'd be even more useful with the weapon cloning across weapon sets. Have your best sword set up in a single wield, with a shield and with another sword for maximum flexibility.

If the reason for the change was due to the Blackjacket I'd much rather revert back and get rid of or change the Blackjacket.

Black Jack should have some cool unsheathe actions when they switch melee weapons.

Every time u switch a melee weapon, you automatically unsheathe the weapon and attack every enemy nearby.

Actually before they reveal the class, I was expecting BlackJack to look like this :p

Gazami_dori.jpg

Edited by dunehunter

I remember an interview that said Black Jacket had bonuses to Accuracy and Penetration when using the "correct" damage type against an enemy. I guess this was removed because it's basically the Devoted effect but for any weapon.

It was a good idea. A bonus penetration when you hit the lowest AR. Not worse than now. More reflexion = reward.

3 penetration for devoted ? 4 for black jacket !

This class will pass trash tiers to god tiers, easily with that.
Edited by theBalthazar

I feel that both abilities are wrong as racial ones, since they're completely unnecessary with so many character builds. It gives a real bad feeling to people who want to play the "incorrect" class with that race.

You could move Resolve resistance from orlans to Aumau, and then give the Orlans Perception or Intelligence resistance.

Giving any character base Intelligence resistance probably isn't going to happen, because it would make Berserker the most overpowered thing imaginable. Do I want a huge amout of extra Mig and Con with nearly no appreciable downsides? Why yes, I think I do.

You could move Resolve resistance from orlans to Aumau, and then give the Orlans Perception or Intelligence resistance.

Giving any character base Intelligence resistance probably isn't going to happen, because it would make Berserker the most overpowered thing imaginable. Do I want a huge amout of extra Mig and Con with nearly no appreciable downsides? Why yes, I think I do.

Yeah, and if you give anyone Per resist then the blunderbuss becomes amazing. Oh well I'm out of ideas

Yeah, and if you give anyone Per resist then the blunderbuss becomes amazing. Oh well I'm out of ideas

berserker/wizard is already kinda cheese at the moment as infuse with vital essence has a long duration. base 40 seconds for smart And fit? create a wood elf or wild orlan berserker/wizard and frenzy while under the influence o' infuse with vital essence... and as almost every Gromnir party has a priest casting dire blessing at the start o' combat, got all but one stat affliction covered. so a strong and immune-to-almost-everything build which is enjoying over-the-top penetration and a goodly assortment o' armour/deflection buffing spells?  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)