One solution to Resolve/Concentration problem

dunehunter

Instead of let Concentration being a yes or no value. I think Concentration should be numeric and stackable. Any ability/spell grant caster Concentration now should grant them point 1 of Concentration. So if you have cast Spirit Shield and Disciplined Strikes, you have 2 Concentration. And Concentration from same source doesn't stack(so you cannot cast 5 Discipline Strike in a row to boost your concentration).

And interruption should also be numeric, and is divided by Strong Interruption(Two-handed weapon, some interrupt spell like Thrust of Tattered Veil) and Soft interruption(Average and fast weapon,  other damage spells). Strong interruption have a point of 1, Soft Interruption have a value of 0.5.

Every point of Perception will increase the Interruption you deal by 10%, so if you have 20 Perception, your Strong Interruption is increased by 100% and is now value 2.

Resolve similarly will increase the Concentration points you get from ability and spells by 10%. So if you have 20 resolve and you cast Spirit Shield, you got 2 point of Concentration instead of 1.

So every time you use an interruption on enemy, your Interruption first reduce the enemy's Concentration. If your Interruption > enemy's Concentration, you interrupt them, otherwise you reduce enemy's Concentration by the amount of your interruption. So for example, you enemy has 10 resolve, and cast Spirit shield, he gets Concentration = 1, and your rogue has a Perception of 15, and he did a Strike the Bell with two dagger to the target, his interruption is 2 x 0.5(each dagger) x (1 + 10% x 5) = 1.5 Interruption > 1 Concentration. Enemy is interrupted. If enemy has 2 Concentration, then the Strike the bell reduce it by 1.5 and enemy has 0.5 Concentration remains and still be able to cast.

Not sure if my explanation is clear, but that's the idea. And in this way Resolve can still be useful for casters, and Might can remain to have Damage bonus.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

I suggested a system where you'd have 1 point of concentration strength for each point of RES and 1 point of interrupt strength for each point of PER. So if you get Concentration at all then it's stronger with a lot of RES and you could take a few interrupts from a char who has an interrupting ability but has low PER - without fumbling. While a char with high PER can make sure that a single interrupt nearly always takes away concentration. Quite simple to code and not too hard to understand I guess.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I wouldn’t mind either solution.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It is stackable, and interrupts always take away 1 point of Concentration from whatever pool you have before they can actually interrupt you.

The issue brought forth in this topic, from my understanding, is that this should be tied to Resolve (either exclusively or additionally.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I suggested a system where you'd have 1 point of concentration strength for each point of RES and 1 point of interrupt strength for each point of PER. So if you get Concentration at all then it's stronger with a lot of RES and you could take a few interrupts from a char who has an interrupting ability but has low PER - without fumbling. While a char with high PER can make sure that a single interrupt nearly always takes away concentration. Quite simple to code and not too hard to understand I guess.

And then the various Concentration and Interrupt effects could give, say, +5 or +10 Concentration each?

Seems like a good idea on paper. I'm not sure how it would play out in practice though. You could end up where casters who didn't make the "concentration threshold" for a particular fight (i.e., the opponent's Per) just got constantly interrupted all battle and could never do anything. 

At the moment I'm leaning towards something like "critical hits interrupt, Resolve gives incoming Crit to Hit, Per gives outgoing Hit to Crit." Not sure if that would work in practice either.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

At the moment I'm leaning towards something like "critical hits interrupt, Resolve gives incoming Crit to Hit, Per gives outgoing Hit to Crit." Not sure if that would work in practice either.

I think the system would function fine internally, but it may be a muddy system that's difficult for players to understand in practice.

I think the system would function fine internally, but it may be a muddy system that's difficult for players to understand in practice.

Possibly. You could solve that with a "Critical Hit! Interrupted!" popup though (like you currently have for "No Pen!")

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

My problem with this is that it would feel like another health bar to whack at, while the advantage of the current system is that it's very clear and deliberate.

A shield to prevent interruption more precisely, but yeah I agree it makes things more complicated, but hard to not if u want to make Resolve ties to Concentration.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I almost posted a new topic for this. :p

So about concentration. I dislike this current system we have with concentration. (I dislike many things nowadays it seems)

You gain it, you lost it immediately, cannot gear for it, wasteful to recast abilities just for this. Terrible if you don't have it.

So in PoE1 I though that this was a bad stat at first, once I realised that if I gear for it - which I could quite easily actually- , I save myself a world of pain.

I miss that system now, because it was a constand defense which made my life easy in a sense that my abilites were not interrupted as much and later at all.

The fun part is with this current one is that once I gain it I immediately lose it. The annoying part is they chain interrupt my characters once they see someone is casting or using an item or ability.

Is it wishful thinking to ask about the PoE1 concentration system back?

I know no one cares but when I played and finished the game with a monk, three things I took very seriously:

I hated afflictions, especially stun/paralyze so I geared for it hard.

I also hated that my character knocked out quickly so I had a ton of hp (around 2500hp)

I hated the constant ability interrupts I received from enemies, so I pushed concentration as much as I could without compromising my build.

So yeah, I really miss the old system in this new sequel.

The annoying part is they chain interrupt my characters once they see someone is casting or using an item or ability.

Yep, and often with hard CC (paralyze) which you can't really do anything about. Which I like because it's usually what a smart AI should do... But there isn't really any much counterplay. 

On the other hand the AI never seems to hard CC melee (except some confusion), because they are programmed to wait for casters. Even if this is not the case concentration does nothing about hard CC. And if a caster gets hit by it mid cast, I think the spell is lost? Melee just carry on afterwards. 

Edited by Bazy